About George Way drums

Dunnett

Classic Drumsmith
Hi Drummerworld members!

I read a recent post about someone who was hoping to order a piano black Way kit and was disappointed that it was not available.

I want to offer an explanation as to how the Way company currently operates. Way drum sets are NOT in ongoing production. That means unlike the corporate companies like DW etc, ordering custom kits is not possible.

Production runs are done as time allows. When I open a production window, dealers are invited to place orders within a specific time period for whichever woods / shells are being offered at that time. Production is based on those orders and any customer orders pending at that time.

Because Way kits are made in such small numbers, this is the best way I can offer full sets. I certainly wish I could offer kits on an ongoing basis - I know the demand is quite heavy and I do wish I was able to keep up with it, but - Dunnett Classic and Way is a one man operation and I do the best I can as I can. The kits speak for themselves - worth the wait.

I currently have an order window open and I am taking orders for Walnut kits and add ons and also some Mahogany kits and add ons.

What would be helpful for potential buyers is to lay out how to order, and how long it is expected to take to delivery.

For example:

1: Find a dealer you like HERE
2: Call a salesperson there, e-mail them the specifics of your order.
3: If order is placed prior to 12/31/2017, it should be delivered around 06/01/2018 (dates are examples).

In my case, I spent 3 months trying to get Shane/Tony at DCP to take my order. I then got in touch with CME and they were happy to take my deposit and order. I only was worried towards the last two months, where I didn't know if things were actually going to happen.

Fortunately, it all worked out. I have a cool 2-beer story to tell and a shockingly wonderful kit that has successfully wrecked every other drummer that has played it. Even the FBI agents who raided the studio a few months ago commented on it.

What would be helpful for potential buyers is to lay out how to order, and how long it is expected to take to delivery.

For example:

1: Find a dealer you like HERE
2: Call a salesperson there, e-mail them the specifics of your order.
3: If order is placed prior to 12/31/2017, it should be delivered around 06/01/2018 (dates are examples).

In my case, I spent 3 months trying to get Shane/Tony at DCP to take my order. I then got in touch with CME and they were happy to take my deposit and order. I only was worried towards the last two months, where I didn't know if things were actually going to happen.

Fortunately, it all worked out. I have a cool 2-beer story to tell and a shockingly wonderful kit that has successfully wrecked every other drummer that has played it. Even the FBI agents who raided the studio a few months ago commented on it.

Well, the dealers I have ARE listed on the web site and as I mentioned in other threads, I'm easily accessible via social media and email, so the information is available.

When I am able to accomodate a special order the clients are advised that it may take a long time and I don't like to give specific timelines - there are so many variables.

Dedicated drummers such as yourself are patient and willing to wait and most have had the same reaction as you - worth the wait.

Personally, I am waiting on a set of wheels for my BMW from Italy. I knew going into the deal they were going to take a very long time to make. They will be well built, beautiful and unique. I ordered them in March and I expect them sometime in September, but it could be October. They will be worth the wait - anything worth having usually is.

19023279_10154530615822483_8170351903780879990_o.jpg

Prior to KamaK posting his story, I had never heard of George Way drums. So perhaps someone can explain the unique benefits of this drum brand?

It's basically a modern implementation and slight re-imagination of a vintage GW kit. Low mass, easy to get a great note from. Reasonably priced for a well-above-average and well designed kit.

Shane does a good job of summing it up...

Carter does a great job of showing them off.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but if you brew your tea with a vintage cast-silver infuser from a kettle boiled via open flame, this is likely the kit for you.

If you're the type that favors a Mapex Saturn above a Gretsch Renown, you might want to look at iNDE for a more nouveau aesthetic.

Prior to KamaK posting his story, I had never heard of George Way drums. So perhaps someone can explain the unique benefits of this drum brand?

What is even more important than the brand is the man - George Way. Responsible for so many innovations that are in use even today.

Proud owner here :) I have a Duco Mahogany kit and Aero snare.

Ron, thank you for creating such a great instrument on affordable price. I'm hooked. I can't stop thinking about the Acacia "snorm" I tried it the other day... the good news is that my birthday is coming :)

KamaK, thank you for sharing your story. It triggered my curiosity which led to research and being a proud owner.

The original thread by Kamak is a bit fuzzy but I seem to recall that he had made several attempts to try and make some type of contact with you (Dunnett) through the George Way site and never heard anything back. Someone encouraged him to reach out to you on Facebook and Kamak said he was letting CME do their job and handle it.

I'm glad he got his kit but as a reader of the original thread it sure did feel like some balls were dropped on the communication side of things from George Way. Glad it all worked out in the end, but Kamak I think is more patient than most. I would have canceled my order way earlier in the process. :)

The kit did look awesome tho. Seemed worth the wait to Kamak which is really all that matters

Proud owner here :) I have a Duco Mahogany kit and Aero snare.

Ron, thank you for creating such a great instrument on affordable price. I'm hooked. I can't stop thinking about the Acacia "snorm" I tried it the other day... the good news is that my birthday is coming :)

KamaK, thank you for sharing your story. It triggered my curiosity which led to research and being a proud owner.

Very cool! The Duco kits are discontinued now - rare and few. And yes - the Acacia snares are just...so fun to play and beautifully crafted.

Enjoy your Way drums!

The original thread by Kamak is a bit fuzzy but I seem to recall that he had made several attempts to try and make some type of contact with you (Dunnett) through the George Way site and never heard anything back. Someone encouraged him to reach out to you on Facebook and Kamak said he was letting CME do their job and handle it.

I'm glad he got his kit but as a reader of the original thread it sure did feel like some balls were dropped on the communication side of things from George Way. Glad it all worked out in the end, but Kamak I think is more patient than most. I would have canceled my order way earlier in the process. :)

The kit did look awesome tho. Seemed worth the wait to Kamak which is really all that matters

No balls were dropped. This was a difficult kit to make - that was the problem and I had both the dealer's and the customer's interests at heart. The Piano Black finishes - while excellent, were inconsistent and not always up to my standards. The dealer took the sale based on the incorrect notion that custom sets and finishes can just be ordered at any time. When they placed the order, Black was already discontinued. I went the extra mile to get the kit in the finish that the customer wanted and made sure it was 100%. It took a lot of time and effort, but I really wanted to make everyone happy. I say yes too often sometimes, but I'm glad I was able to deliver this time.

I'm actually a very easy guy to get in touch with most of the time. I get a lot of communications every day from various sources and frankly I could spend 8 hours a day communicating - but someone has to build drums. I do my best.

I purchased a Dunnett snare drum second hand and had a few questions about it. So I though I'd take a chance and send Ronn an email. I tried to put myself in Ronn's shoes and figured a guy as busy as he is would probably take a while to email me back. So I was prepared to wait. To my surprise, two days later I received a response back. Ronn knew the exact drum I had and gave me a detailed answers to my questions. I replied back to Ronn simply thanking him for making such a fine instrument and for taking the time to answer my questions. Ronn immediately replied back and left the conversation opened for me to contact him anytime with any questions or concerns and to please keep him informed on how I'm enjoying the snare.

Am I a very satisfied customer who also feels valued......absolutely!

No balls were dropped. This was a difficult kit to make - that was the problem and I had both the dealer's and the customer's interests at heart. The Piano Black finishes - while excellent, were inconsistent and not always up to my standards. The dealer took the sale based on the incorrect notion that custom sets and finishes can just be ordered at any time. When they placed the order, Black was already discontinued. I went the extra mile to get the kit in the finish that the customer wanted and made sure it was 100%. It took a lot of time and effort, but I really wanted to make everyone happy. I say yes too often sometimes, but I'm glad I was able to deliver this time.

I'm actually a very easy guy to get in touch with most of the time. I get a lot of communications every day from various sources and frankly I could spend 8 hours a day communicating - but someone has to build drums. I do my best.

That's good to hear. Thanks for clearing that up.

Back