Unreal Weckl Footage...

Absolutely masterful. Wow.

One of the true masters of our time. Thank you for sharing.

Not too much control huh, love the way Dave Weckl plays the drums.

Geez, that guys never fails to completely blow me away. I saw him a few years ago with Mike Stern and he was amazing - as he always is.

The only thing I remember thinking was that during the times where he was keeping it straight and just laying it down, his groove was unbelievably comfortable and smooth. That aspect of his playing isn't as obvious when he's playing so busy, which is most of the time. Kind of made me wish he'd step out now and then and take a gig where he emphasized his considerable groove abilities and save the mind-bending stuff for other projects. If he did, he could, IMHO, easily join the ranks of the Brian Blades, Steve Jordans, and Chris Daves of the world.

Not that I'm complaining because I love what he does and how he sounds when he throws it all out there, and there are precious few drummers who can play like that and still hold my attention. He's definitely one of my favorite drummers and has been since I first heard him with the Elektric band back in '86.

Still, with his groove alone, I wouldn't be bashful about nominating him for the next Plant/Page/JPJ reunion. If he could get into the mindset for a project like that (and I have no doubt he could), I'm pretty sure he'd knock it outta the park!

Now that I think about it, I wonder why he never chased the Sting gig? He has a certain smoothness that Vinnie doesn't (not to take anything away from Vinnie) that I would think would be a better fit for Sting's silky smooth voice.

But enough of that! Block out 22 minutes and check this out!

Last edited:
Eh I dunno man, Dave is of course a great player, but Sting and Vinnie seem... meant for each other... Their interplay on stage and Vinnie's adventurousness really gets Sting going.

(okay nobody take this post out of context please because looking back, it'd be quite easy...)

Wooowwwzzer,,,,
Yeah, a treasure trove of fine playing moments, there. I really like Dave's left side ride. I've never seen him use one before and that cymbal is music to my ears all by itself.

Watching something like this just reinforces how deep the chasm is between the very top guys and guys like me. It's almost as if we play different instruments. Whilst I'm all about the music, I can't help but be stunned by the skill on display here, & I'm not just referring to the chops. Breathtaking!

I know exactly how you feel.

In my opinion he is the result of a combination of gifted & talent. You can't convince me it's all just because of practice and industrial strength hard work. I know his background of how many hours, etc.... but still people of Dave and Vinnie C's level is just on a whole different plane in the world.

Yeah, a treasure trove of fine playing moments, there. I really like Dave's left side ride. I've never seen him use one before and that cymbal is music to my ears all by itself.

I agree... I've only seen one other clip and I don't recall where but he used one but it didn't sound as nice as this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
dmacc;1051312[... said:
people of Dave and Vinnie C's level is just on a whole different plane in the world.

I think their secret is an honest, absolute love for music and intimate familiarity with the emotions they've practiced expressing through the instrument. I truly believe that if you have that and enough time and awareness to practice effectively, keep at it and you can be there too.

Maybe I'm just avoiding the sting of the realization that I'll never play like Dave ;)

I think their secret is an honest, absolute love for music and intimate familiarity with the emotions they've practiced expressing through the instrument. I truly believe that if you have that and enough time and awareness to practice effectively, keep at it and you can be there too.

Maybe I'm just avoiding the sting of the realization that I'll never play like Dave ;)

Perhaps. I gave up trying years ago and now just enjoy admiring and taking thanks that I'm alive when these guys are playing so well with (hopefully) so many more years ahead of them.

I really like Dave's left side ride. I've never seen him use one before and that cymbal is music to my ears all by itself.

Agreed, but more than the cymbal itself, its his riding skills that blow my mind. He makes it seem effortless, and yet he is playing at quite a fast pace.
Nevertheless, that cymbal sounds amazing: any idea what it is? Sounds quite dry, reminds me of an 18" manhattan y played a few months ago.

Also, am I the only one who cannot seem to figure out/comprehend/fathom what he plays at 15:57 ? Unreal!!

Back