Best Overall Electric Kit

Just bought a DTX900k - waiting for it to arrive. Will probably never look back.
Roland is far too overpriced - and personally I hate the mesh head pads.

I will not get the Hexrack however - but then again, I don't have the space nor the inclination to gig with it. Will be used for intense practicing and studio recording.

Make sure you get the 512 mb DIMM...that way you can load the extra kits that are offered over at DTXperience..also you'll be able to load other DTX owners user kits...I have been known to share my user kits;)

Make sure you get the 512 mb DIMM...that way you can load the extra kits that are offered over at DTXperience..also you'll be able to load other DTX owners user kits...I have been known to share my user kits;)

That would surely be appreciated. How do I go about getting the extra 512 MB by the way?
Local dealer I suppose? I have noticed that the OWD sets are for download to the module, so I reckon that would really be a good idea. Should mention that i have OWD as VST in Kontakt, if I have a craving.

jobeky prestige, or maybe one of the drum-tec natural series. you can find 2box easily online with european shipping.
hooked up to an interface (apogee, m-audio, motu, focusrite) via alesis trigger I/O (+TI firewire card if needed) & a good sample library like OWD Gold, SSD, SD 2.0.

The Jobeky Prestige kits look pretty impressive, and from what i hear the new 2box Drummit 5 sound module is a gigantic leap ahead of any other module at the moment, with 4GB worth of extremely detailed sounds, mixing the 2box sound module with the jobeky kit which looks great looks like a great way to go. Plus you can get the whole lot for roughly the same amount as a Roland TD-12KX but from the looks of it, the combination would be far far superior to a TD12. Sounds like a bargain to me! :p

Ive played both TD-20 and the Yamaha DTX 950K, and in my opinion the yamaha is better. The hardware and silicon pads are awesome, and I'm not biased because I own a td-10 !

No such thing as best!

For example I prefer the TD12 over the TD20 because the TD20 is bigger and I don't want to cart that around.

Davo

Davo

No such thing as best!

For example I prefer the TD12 over the TD20 because the TD20 is bigger and I don't want to cart that around.

Davo

Davo
Don't be such a wuss. We are drummers. We have lots of things to carry. This is what builds character, and muscles, and makes the chicks dig us. :)

After owning and playing at DTXtreme IIs for 18 mos and a Roland TD20s (with a Hart Dynamics snare) for two years, I have to say that the Roland is leaps and bounds ahead of the Yamaha in sound, feel, and expressiveness. I had a chance to play the latest DTXtreme kit last year at the NAMM show and while the pads and module were much better than the previous model, it still is behind the Roland stuff. Yes, Yamaha's hardware is MUCH better and is interchangeable with their acoustic drums, but the bottom line for me was "how does it sound and play". In that regard, there's just no comparison.

This is hard for me to admit because I am a HARD CORE Yamaha fan and own two Yamaha acoustic kits, but the truth is the truth. If I were going to own another electronic kit, I would probably build a DIY with Roland triggers, Alesis IO, and a laptop running BFD2 or EZDrummer.

Cheers!

I think the Roland wins because it feels better but they're both just too pricy. I went with a 2box, you should definitely take a look.

Haven't read the whole thread, but my immediate reaction is always that none of the kits I've heard have playable sounds unless they are $10,000 Roland kits, and even those still sound electronic. The best thing to do is buy a TD-4 (or anything under $1000) and run Superior 2.0 or one of the VST kits through a computer with it. None of the ekits feel like real drums, but at least you can find some good sounds to use.

Back