Trad Grip Group!

Igual para tí hermano!...bueno aquí en Venezuela se celebra el Domingo 08 de Mayo (día de las madres)...vergación!

Good job by creating the Traditional/Orthodox grip group!

BTW, Happy Cinco de Mayo

...carajos

Excellent idea for a group. New to this official forum so please excuse any newbie mistakes.

Great idea for a group. I'm in.

After originally playing matched grip in high school and studying classical percussion, I went into the US Navy band. At the U.S armed forces school of music, I started an interest in trad. grip from watching some of the other students who were there.

I saw Buddy Rich play a couple of times as well as Louie Bellson. I was hooked! There's just something about trad. grip that I like. Esp. for brushes and regimental style playing, it just feels right to me.

Historical question for the group, and lets go big and wide on this shall we:

Who, Why, When and possible Where was this grip invented?

Remember, keep a historical slant to the answer. In other words how old is this grip, who initially began its use, where did it originate etc.

Enjoy, I await responses.

jaszdrummer

Historical question for the group, and lets go big and wide on this shall we:

Remember, keep a historical slant to the answer. In other words how old is this grip, who initially began its use, where did it originate etc.

Enjoy, I await responses.

jaszdrummer

I know it was used as far back as the 1700's or even the 1600's in military bands. Further than that I don't know.

Learned how to play using the traditional grip back in the 1960's. Tried playing with the matched grip but was never comfortable - just never felt "right" to me.

Jim

yarts_traditional-grip.jpg

Sorry, I felt compelled ... better clear my trollish self off now; I play matched.

Back