Evans equivalent to Remo's Bass PS3?

EQ1 - and it's an awesome head. I might even like it better than the PS3...and I give props to the PS3 every time the topic shows up on here.

The EQ1 goes great with the EMAD Resonant.

I stand corrected - the EQ1 has the "dry vented muffling ring" and the EQ4 does not. The EQ4 is closer to the PS3.

Either way, I'm loving the EQ1 that I'm using.

I've had real good luck with the EQ1 and EQ3 heads. The removable ring is a bonus and helps tailor the sound. They seem to like a low tuning range IMO.

They do bring the thunder!

My kick didn't seem to like the EQ4 (I'd been a PS3 user before that). Then I went to the EMAD, which was cool, but it got even cooler when the ring that holds the muffle ring tore around to where it wouldn't hold the ring anymore. Only took a couple weeks for that to happen. I was going to complain and return it and all that, but I liked the way it sounded better without the rings. Actually sounds great!

Go figure.

I've had real good luck with the EQ1 and EQ3 heads. The removable ring is a bonus and helps tailor the sound. They seem to like a low tuning range IMO.

They do bring the thunder!

Which one would you say you prefer? I haven't tried the EQ3, yet. Where is the removable ring on that one?

Which one would you say you prefer? I haven't tried the EQ3, yet. Where is the removable ring on that one?

The EQ1 sounds similar to a PS3. Both heads have a muffling ring like the PS3. The other optional EQ (muffling) ring slides into place between the head and the PS3 type ring. It can be removed while the head is mounted if you have a ported front head. Just reach in and pull it out. That opens up the sound quite a bit. A lot more boom. For more focus and punch leave the ring in.

The EQ3 is a two ply head and adds a little depth. I use that on my Yamaha kick and the EQ1 on a DW VLT kit. They both sound really good. A lot more punch and volume than a EMAD. I run all my kicks wide open.

Lately I've been backing off the reso head to control the boom and it seems to be working out really well. The drum is still producing good volume with tons of bottom end.

HTH

Haha! I have an EQ1 at home and didn't realize the ring came out? I thought it sounded a little dry, even though it was very loud and had very nice tone. Now I can't wait to get home and try it w/ the ring removed. Thanks man!

Ooo, this was useful. I'll try out the Powerstroke 3 (coated on one end, clear on the other) on a 24" bass as soon as I can.

I'm switching from 22" Super Kick II over Black Regulator. It sounds good, if you like the thud that you get in most rock songs. I'm personally looking for a bass with a bit more presence and character than a simple thud, though.

Last edited:
Back