Mapex Black Panther CAST STEEL SNARE

Moldy

Silver Member
This thing is a monster! 14x5.5 of 3mm thick steel. The thickness goes up to 5mm by the edges because of reinforcement rings. The 300 of these Mapex made were actually made out of cast steel pipes. Outside of the shell is knurled. The hardware, including tdiecast hoops and strainer, are all plated with black chrome.

As for the sound... tuned up medium-high on both sides (86 over 86 for DrumDial users), this snare just rocks! It's as sensitive as a "popppy" snare with the power of a "cracky" snare... it's snappy! The volume potential on this thing is IMMENSE and I've yet to really have a chance to wail on it.

Here, have a looksie :D

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Moldy, do you mind sharing where you picked it up at and how much? I'm in the market for a new snare and that thing is just down right sexy looking. Also, could you put up a sound clip, I would love to hear it.

I'll see what I can do for a sound clip. I might need to go to the storage unit and record there... bad acoustics but what can you do.

And there were only 300 of these snares produced, so it's exceedingly rare to find one. I bought mine on eBay for $300 (I got reaaaaaally lucky). There's another one on eBay but it's being sold for $600. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mapex-Black-Pan...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eaa70e8f1

CORRECTION: http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...1&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900304467 Only two left for $350 each! Here too: http://www.coloradodrum.com/proddetails.asp?brand=Mapex&prodid=200721213142

Definitely looks like a keeper. Great looking life long friend you have there

I would love to hear it in any setting be it good or bad acoustics. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing one of the ones you linked up. I've liked all of the Black Panthers I've heard thus far and they have all been the maple shells, I could only imagine a steel shell.

I was offered one of these on the second hand market for £160... was hugely tempted by it. But its not really my cup of tea. Its a little too "full on" for the variety of music im wanting to play. Great looking snare though, and if rock/metal etc is your thing, its an absolute firecracker of a snare.

From what I can glean from YouTube... they're pretty comparable. The extra 2mm rings serve to tighten/dampen the sound a bit more than the Reference snare, but that's the only difference I can glean. Very responsive and surprisingly sensitive even at low volumes, now that I have the heads cranked up.

This thing is a monster! 14x5.5 of 3mm thick steel. The thickness goes up to 5mm by the edges because of reinforcement rings. The 300 of these Mapex made were actually made out of cast steel pipes. Outside of the shell is knurled. The hardware, including tdiecast hoops and strainer, are all plated with black chrome.

As for the sound... tuned up medium-high on both sides (86 over 86 for DrumDial users), this snare just rocks! It's as sensitive as a "popppy" snare with the power of a "cracky" snare... it's snappy! The volume potential on this thing is IMMENSE and I've yet to really have a chance to wail on it.

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

What a beauty!!! Keep that baby! I bet it sounds killer.
Would you mind posting some pics of snare beds and edges. I'm dying to see those for a very long time and had no luck so far.

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Great drum you have there :) Careful not to get a hernia when lugging it around. It looks really heavy.
Are the bearing edges sharp or are they round? I can't see on the pics.

I bought the same snare 4-5 years ago. It is far the most heavy snare i have ever used and sounds good

Back