Rack - straight versus curved?

ronyd

Silver Member
what are advantages/disadvantages between straight or curved racks? Will be used for home only.

More or less, it's an "individual" thing. You need to figure out where you're gonna place stuff, and by your own design ..... does a curved rack work better than a straight one? I've owned both, and they work equally well, for me. My personal opinion, it's a tie.​

Last edited:
More or less, it's an "individual" thing. You need to figure out where you're gonna place stuff, and by your own design ..... does a curved rack work better than a straight one?I've owned both, and they work equally well, for me. My personal opinion, it's a tie.​
+ 1 from me. Harry nailed it. Ultimately, from a placement POV, there's little difference really. It's more of an aesthetic thing. Both of my racks are curved, I happen to think they look a little better.

What Harry and KIS said totally personal choice. Like KIS I like the look of a curved rack better, to me just flows with the kit setup more.

Do you already have a kit setup and are just looking to switch to a rack? Just keep in mind the rack is just the beginning of the expense, clamps, memory locks and such add up quick.

If you have more than two rack toms (e.g., 8", 10", 12") you are probably gonna want to go with the curved rack..you'll be able to get better tom placement with the curved rack (when using multiple sized toms) …otherwise, I agree with what the others have said...

right now I got 1 up 2 down. Plan on going 3 up. My first thought was curved thinking i would get better placement of toms.

Mu delimma is that my bass is a 24. I can;t get my tom close enough because of the height of the bass. a rack will suit me fine i think. thanks for the inputs.

I use both and I too feel their pretty much the same. The curved may look cooler, but then the straight looks cool too.

One thing I tell would be rack users is that racks don't perform as well as stands on uneven stages. If there's even a moderate inconsistency in the stages flatness, or stability, racks can easily twist and cause the toms to loose positioning while you're playing.

I use both and I too feel their pretty much the same. The curved may look cooler, but then the straight looks cool too.

One thing I tell would be rack users is that racks don't perform as well as stands on uneven stages. If there's even a moderate inconsistency in the stages flatness, or stability, racks can easily twist and cause the toms to loose positioning while you're playing.

Which would be a good argument for the spanner style racks that use cymbal/tom stands as the anchor on either side.

Which would be a good argument for the spanner style racks that use cymbal/tom stands as the anchor on either side.

You'd think... but not.

The rack bar end clamps dictate the bar has to be level, or the bar will work itself out of the side clamps. Memory locks will not prevent the bar from slipping (out of the clamps) horizontally. The bar doesn't slip out and cause the rack to fall apart, it moves horizontally just enough to disengage the memory locks, then the weight of the toms causes the bar to slip, toms loose positioning.

So the end post 'fall away' just enough to cause the memory lock to fail when there's movement (tom hits, uneven stage, wobble etc.).

I rough-up the chrome with sandpaper on the ends of the bar so the clamps get a little more holding power, but its not enough when a stage isn't level, or stable.

Stands would just be glorified rack end posts, if one end moves up or down (unstable stage) the same thing will happen.

GIBRALTAR/others need to devise a locking pin in the end clamps. This would probably require a small hole in the bar, but who cares really, you wouldn't see it.

Back