Some unfortunate things as a Teenager... READ!

I got the drums back (for now) So when I get home tonight I will be setting them back up. Probably into a 4 piece to focus more on what counts instead of all the flare.
I honestly won't be too surprised if I have them back down next week, because he grows sick of it very quickly...

I'm baffled by the fact that no groundrules have been established. Like everyone else has said, this could be a huge waste of everyone's time, especially if it is totally up to your father in deciding at the spur of the moment whether you can play or not.

Obviously I don't know your detailed situation, and hope I'm wrong, but based on everything you've posted, something seems really wrong with your relationship with your father.

I'm baffled by the fact that no groundrules have been established. Like everyone else has said, this could be a huge waste of everyone's time, especially if it is totally up to your father in deciding at the spur of the moment whether you can play or not.

Obviously I don't know your detailed situation, and hope I'm wrong, but based on everything you've posted, something seems really wrong with your relationship with your father.

Well since it's set up, I'll try and discuss it with him.
There is something wrong with our relationship, but I don't really want to or need to apologize.
I don't apologize. Especially when I've done nothing.

With that attitude, good luck with your future marriage!

...and second one, and third one, and fourth one, and...

This made me laugh pretty hard. Can't count the times I've apologized for nothing.

Well since it's set up, I'll try and discuss it with him.
There is something wrong with our relationship, but I don't really want to or need to apologize.
I don't apologize. Especially when I've done nothing.

There is a difference between apologizing and communicating. All relationships are DOA without communication, and sometimes things are so bad that you have to step up to the plate and be the big person, because it isn't always the older or more mature person that will do it.

So either you swallow your pride and discuss the situation with him, or you will end up packing the drums up again in a week or so. And then, you lose once again. If you were close to the age where you could move out, maybe my advice would be different, but you've got at least three more years to deal with this, and it could suck royally for you.

I'm not defending your father, because for all I know he could have major issues. But then again, having dealt with two teenagers, I know that they have a hard time focusing on anything where they aren't the focal point and it's all about them.

So perhaps try and get to the bottom of really what is setting him off, and see if there is any middle ground you can establish.

You could play other styles of music to make him happy. You can expand your playing AND please your dad by playing soft jazz.

I haven't really read the thread through, but did you ask your dad why exactly he does not want you to play drums? If it turns out he just hates the noise, there is always electronic kits.

Well EVERYTHING is taken away now. Drums, TV, phone, computer, video camera, iPod, even my skateboard! My "bedtime" is now 8PM!
I think that he's losing it guys! He says the reason why it's all taken away, is because I got up late for school a week ago. But still got there 30 minutes early.
Whatever. I couldn't care less anymore. My home life sucks now.

Well EVERYTHING is taken away now. Drums, TV, phone, computer, video camera, iPod, even my skateboard! My "bedtime" is now 8PM!
I think that he's losing it guys! He says the reason why it's all taken away, is because I got up late for school a week ago. But still got there 30 minutes early.
Whatever. I couldn't care less anymore. My home life sucks now.

Well that sounds really horrible but have to wonder. if everything has been taken away, including phone, computer, etc...how is it you are even posting here? I just can't help thinking there is more to this story than we are hearing.

I know being a teenager can be rough and the relationship with parents during that time is always a struggle so I can definitely sympathize with that...we've probably all been there to some extent.

If all is as you say, then I would just have to say that at this point, you may have to learn to grin and bear it. Yep, that sux but it doesn't sound as if you have much choice. The drums will be there when you are 18 and you may just have to pick it back up then.

Hope things get better for you soon.

Well that sounds really horrible but have to wonder. if everything has been taken away, including phone, computer, etc...how is it you are even posting here? I just can't help thinking there is more to this story than we are hearing.

yeah - there has to be a missing piece to this puzzle.....most sane parents don't just take away all of your possessions unless something has really gone awry

We're only hearing one side of this story. I'd sure like to hear the old man's version. Joey can't be an innocent victim in all this craziness.

Well, I'm thinking that as well, but I've been in a position where my stepdad has done that to me for no good reason, like I come home 5 minutes late or something. I don't know, it was a long time ago. Point is, some parents are crazy. I'd still love for his dad to create an account and tell us what happened, haha.

Maybe Joey's a 15 year old with fantasies of owning the worlds most acrylic punk kit...

Maybe his stepdad really is saying "I'm gonna make your life hell"...

Find out next week on The Young & The Restless

Well if his computer is gone then he won't be back for awhile...on the other hand, if his dad is as crazy as he says, he could have it back a few minutes from now.

WTF am I doing on here?

Dude I found my self in a similar situation about a year or so ago.

Lucky for me I was able to move into my grandmother house and she has a big enough garage for both me and my band.

Joey I have talked to you before and you seem like a pretty good kid, my suggestion is talk to your dad and figure out a solution. If he doesn't listen to you see if you can get your mom or an aunt or an uncle to talk to him.

EDIT: I' m not so sure drummerworld is the best place to get advice about home life, talk to a teacher or therapist

My advise...

Have a conversation with Pops thats goes like this...

Look, I'm NOT you, I never will be... If you don't want to love me, be suportive if me and share in my life, at 18 I'll go live on the street and you can kiss your overprotected self goodbye... is this what you want? Why did you have me... to live through me... or am I just a mistake and your too worried that I'll do the same... Don't push me away dad because regardless of what YOU think, your actions are creating a deep seeded bad taste.

Now if you say this... you better be ready to eat crap and live in the cold because smart parents who's children threaten to leave know the child returns once they see that life is way more difficult than the child thinks.

Another perhaps wiser road to travel would be to ... find a place outside, away from your house, to hide a practice pad and sticks. Follow your dads word, get the best grades you can... Go to college. Now your out of the house and you can tell pops to back off in a better way.

When I was a teen, my father wouldn't let me practice when he was home, my older brothers had given him all the rock n roll he could take. So I practiced after school.

Point being, don't let him hear you practice. Let him see you doing homework consistently, let him see you being ahead on jobs around the house, let him see a neat room. Most parents will completely loosen up if the important stuff is taken care of. If the grades are weak, meaning not mostly As, and the garbage isn't out without being told and your room looks like someone tossed a grenade in there, then he, as a responsible parent, has to do something. That means taking away your toys.

You take care of business, and you'll get what you want now and in the future.

More to the point, why does Joey need to practice on his kit all the time?

Get a set or two of sticks and keep them in your bag, take them everywhere with you and practice with them everywhere - on the bus, on a park bench, on on knee... Anywhere out of the house and away from your parents.

Back