Yamaha Hexrack vs. Gibraltar curved rack

I have the Yamaha and Gibraltar. Gibraltar is more versatile. Hex rack looks better. The stock tom holders on the Yamaha rack are very streamlined and look great. But the don't offer that much for positioning. If you get the Yamaha ball and socket tom holders, then you will be in good shape.

Paul
Parker, CO

i dont know much about racks.

if i have a yamaha drum set do i need to use a yamaha rack because of their different mounting system. and vice versa... can i use a different rack to mount my yamaha drums?

You can use any rack regardless of brand of your kit, you will need to still use the mounts for your toms, like the yess ball mounts for Yamaha but they will go into the clamps that go with the rack.

In my humble opinion, the idea of a hex or square design would be great, prevent slippage of settings, not need memory collars, etc... However, it goes back to the reason DW hardware is now going to the unlimited mounting angle for the tilter portion of the cymbal stand. So you can get the "exact" angle you want. A square or hex have limited application. You have to move your hardware around it, rounded racks afford you limitless mounting angles. However you have to add the memory collars so you cut down on the number of items you can mount. But there are always going to be trade offs.

I use gibraltar, because I have been using them since they came out in the 80s with the light weight tubing. It is round and sturdy and you could park your car on it when it is set up right.

Just my two cents.

www.wolvesatthedoor.com

Dont forget the Hex rack only looks Hex but hs ballclamps around the Hexagonal form so you can move around almost 360 degrees, without memory locks.

hexrack7.jpg

why hasn't anyone said the dw rack? is it flimsy and unstable?

please tell me

elliot

p.s hey guys this is my first youtube video of me playing!
heres a link!:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TOrVuydFfiE

please only give construxtive critistm

i'm 11 and have been playing for over 1 year and i am also looking for a band!:)
KIT:
premier cabria xpk atlantic blue
22-18 kick
16-16 floor tom
14-14 floor tom
12-9 tom tom
14-5.5 snare
CYMBALS:
paiste pst3
14" hats
14" crash
16" crash
20" ride
HARDWARE:
iron cobra powerglide double pedal
premier and gibraltar stands

In my case the purpose of the rack was to condense the footprint of the drum set.
My space is limited. The ad I saw in this months Drum Magazine of the hex rack looked more like an ad for an Erector set. ( the older guys will know) Arms sticking out all over the place most just having one cymbal mounted on it. The extension arm was huge compared to the size of the cymbal arm. If you have loads of money and loads of room, then maybe, but I think you will do much better with a smaller contraption.

why hasn't anyone said the dw rack? is it flimsy and unstable?

please tell me

elliot

p.s hey guys this is my first youtube video of me playing!
heres a link!:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TOrVuydFfiE

please only give construxtive critistm

i'm 11 and have been playing for over 1 year and i am also looking for a band!:)
KIT:
premier cabria xpk atlantic blue
22-18 kick
16-16 floor tom
14-14 floor tom
12-9 tom tom
14-5.5 snare
CYMBALS:
paiste pst3
14" hats
14" crash
16" crash
20" ride
HARDWARE:
iron cobra powerglide double pedal
premier and gibraltar stands

More than likely because very few if any have seen one, not one that is commonly carried in drum stores and it's very similar to a Gibraltar. If I was looking between the DW and Gibraltar I'd probably end up with the Gibraltar, gut feeling is it's allot less expensive and basically the same thing.

Also if you want feedback on your playing I would advise starting a new threadin the General Forum or Drum Technique, this thread is meant for feedback on racks not playing.

I have the Yamaha and Gibraltar. Gibraltar is more versatile. Hex rack looks better. The stock tom holders on the Yamaha rack are very streamlined and look great. But the don't offer that much for positioning. If you get the Yamaha ball and socket tom holders, then you will be in good shape.

Paul
Parker, CO

What????...I've owned both....and the hex rack is so MUCH better than the gibraltar rack....yes it is more expensive, but if you can afford it, it is the best rack that money can buy....

Back