Dry heads for ludwig blackrolite acrolite snare?

Below the reply box is Additional Options where you can attach files. Or you can use a hosting site like Photobucket.

I have an Evans Genera HD on my Blackro and it sounds great.

If you want drier, and I like drier, consider an Evans Genera, or Genera dry.

I'll +1 for the Genera Dry. (Not the HD Dry!!)

If you're looking for a dry sound, yet with a certain "deepness" to it, the Genera Dry is the way to go. Unfortunately (or fortunately as it may be) the Genera Dry will make every drum, no matter what material and what thickness and build, sound exactly the same. I assume it does this by removing all overtones and all "characteristics" of the snare from existence.

I loved the Genera Dry for about 2 weeks and then I realized my mistake. Anyway, just like any head, it has it's place. And if you're playing in your basement and you need to tone it down, it's a great head. I wouldn't use it live though, as it would just be too "dull".

Peace, Defender

Aquarian triple threat 3 7mil plys. Will kill the overtones along with everything else in a 5 mile radius. All kidding aside I got one of these at a discount table at GC for like 5 bucks and actually was impressed. It has its purpose and does it very well.

My all time favorite head on my supra has been the Evans EC Reverse dot. not too dry but with just enough overtones for depth. As a matter of fact I have used this on just about every snare that I have had. I have a stack of 14 inch snare heads and I always come back to this.

I'll +1 for the Genera Dry. (Not the HD Dry!!)

If you're looking for a dry sound, yet with a certain "deepness" to it, the Genera Dry is the way to go. Unfortunately (or fortunately as it may be) the Genera Dry will make every drum, no matter what material and what thickness and build, sound exactly the same. I assume it does this by removing all overtones and all "characteristics" of the snare from existence.

I loved the Genera Dry for about 2 weeks and then I realized my mistake. Anyway, just like any head, it has it's place. And if you're playing in your basement and you need to tone it down, it's a great head. I wouldn't use it live though, as it would just be too "dull".

Peace, Defender

I completely agree with this. The Genera Dry made my Supra sound great in a small practice space, with no ring but plenty of attack. It might well kill the drum live in a large space.

Well I've just bought a Tama Starclassic NOB 14x5.5 snare with die cast hoops for £165, that's $250. And yes, I'm going to try it with a Genera Dry (NOT HD!) head! I feel I shall be very pleased!....for those infuriated by the use of dry heads, I shall also try out a straight single ply....like an ambassador just to see....or hear!

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm joining this conversation very late in the game because I just stumbled onto this site and saw how great the suggestions were. Here's my question, and I know it's a matter of taste and experimentation and all of that, but I just landed a mint condition Ludwig Blackrolite and I'm using it in an oldies band that I'm joining next month. We play mostly music from the 60's and 70's and most venues are outdoors on a large stage. A pro sound company does all of the work with mics, sound, lights, etc..all we do is show up, play, get our checks and go home. So my question is what head combination (top and bottom) would be more "true" to the music era we are playing?

My last experience playing on a Ludwig snare was back in high school. (circa 1975-78), so my experience with this drum is very limited and long ago.

I have a Yamaha Dave Weckl 5.5 X 14 with an Evans HD dry on top and it sings fairly well, but I'm always tempted to place the moon gels on it.

Let me know what you guys think. (about the Acrolite heads)

We play mostly music from the 60's and 70's and most venues are outdoors on a large stage. So my question is what head combination (top and bottom) would be more "true" to the music era we are playing?
Honestly the most true match would be an old beat up Remo Ambassador with gaff tape all over it.

Okay, so I'm joining this conversation very late in the game because I just stumbled onto this site and saw how great the suggestions were. Here's my question, and I know it's a matter of taste and experimentation and all of that, but I just landed a mint condition Ludwig Blackrolite and I'm using it in an oldies band that I'm joining next month. We play mostly music from the 60's and 70's and most venues are outdoors on a large stage. A pro sound company does all of the work with mics, sound, lights, etc..all we do is show up, play, get our checks and go home. So my question is what head combination (top and bottom) would be more "true" to the music era we are playing?

My favorite combination for this genre is a Remo Coated Controlled Sound head with Reverse Dot and a piece of Moongel. This works well on just about any snare. It will give you a nice crisp sound with some overtone. It won't totally kill overtones like a tone ring or tape will. Another snare head I like is an Aquarian Texture Coated head, which is a bit darker than a Remo Ambassador.

To a large extent you are fighting the drums natural sonic characteristics by fitting it with dry heads. Aluminium drums are by nature ringy but the overtones are not as harsh as drums made with a steel shell. A reverse centre spot remo or a evans power centre might be the best middle ground.

http://evansdrumheads.com/EvProduct...ated&sid=f0e224b9-d021-4096-9eae-810b7c529fee

If you insist on a very controlled fat sounding snare with very little overtones then your best bet would be an Evans Hydraulic coated head. This head has a thin layer of oil between the plies and the ring is extremely reduced.

Personally I like the Evans Power Centre reverse dot for Acrolites. Playing on the centre dotted area give a fatter less resonant sound and if you want more ring you can play it off center. Reso an e is a good thing, especially when playing live.

I use the Ludwig medium coated head pulled off from an old Supra I bought. Clear ambassador on bottom. I definitely like this batter head for the Acro, more than the powerstroke or coated ambassador. I (most of the time) don't use any muffling and it has just enough ring, but not overly so.

Here is an example I made a while ago to try to get a clear demonstration of the Acrolite's overtones. The drum really wants to sing, and I imagine that you would have to throw a lot of dampening at it, or tune it way up (as suggested above) to the point where it sounds like Ludwig's 4" Maple Piccolo offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDL0vWFy-2I

If you're looking for the same Retro-budget-student-vibe as an Acrolite, and want to stay with Ludwig, look for a used Pioneer.

I'm certain that others will likely have much better suggestions for other manufacturers, as I'm pretty much a Ludwig-or-bust snare guy.

It's tough to get a true read on the head or snare when most of the hits are rim shots.

It's tough to get a true read on the head or snare when most of the hits are rim shots.

Indeed. That clip was made before BillB fixed my left hand. It's always uncanny feeling to go back and watch videos made during one's formative period.

On a positive note, I sold my Acrolite and some extra toms last week on eBay so that I can afford a Gretsch Broadkaster Bass next month.

I did have time to make one last video demonstrating the Acro before I got rid of it. This time with proper technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-4sZdM-CY

What about one of Evan's dry heads. Either the Genera Dry or the HD Dry?

I'm really not following those of you that are calling the Supra/Acro a ringy snare. I have an Acro and a LM402 Supra, they have a few overtones like any snare would but it is a very dry material.

If you like a nice, dry snare and you can score an Acro for cheap (assuming you weren't born with the misfortune of living in Australia) then go f'rit. Get yourself a coated 2 ply head and add a piece of moongel. Too dry? Cut the piece in half. Blammity!

I like a coated single ply on my snares but the weird overtones on this new 402, probably from the old head, had me using the tone control. Never really liked those things before but I am glad to have it on my Supra.

Back