Ear Plugs

ryanlikealion

I need to protect my ears from over exposure to loud noise. I drum in a band and also run percussion workshops.

I have spoken to an audioligist who can fit custom earplugs but these cost £150. Is this a blatant rip off or can any musicians out there vouch for getting these custom made earplugs.

Please let me know.

That sounds about right, I paid nearer 190 for some Exinors, and worth every penny. Terrified of losing them though.

I just use general-purpose, around-the-ear-over-the-head ear protectors, used for shooting or construction. Cost: Under $10.

Let's face it, any kind of safety equipment looks dorky - helmets, pads, ear protectors, eye shields. Do it to protect your ears first.

That sounds about right, I paid nearer 190 for some Exinors, and worth every penny. Terrified of losing them though.

Thanks for your reply. What is so good about the Exinors. For example, if you compare them to a pair of cheap earplugs (im about to google it but would rather hear from someone who has used them.)

Here's what I use:
http://www.hearos.com/products/high-fidelity

They only cost about $15 USD. I was feeling like my hearing should be worth more than that so I went to the audiologist and got fitted for the expensive ones. To be honest, I couldn't really tell the difference between those and the Hearos-style plugs - they both let in some amount of high end to give a more even frequency attenuation and both knocked the dB down by about the same amount.

Anyway, not long after I got the spendy ones, my dog severely chewed one of them. Oh well.

Here's what I use:
http://www.hearos.com/products/high-fidelity

They only cost about $15 USD. I was feeling like my hearing should be worth more than that so I went to the audiologist and got fitted for the expensive ones. To be honest, I couldn't really tell the difference between those and the Hearos-style plugs - they both let in some amount of high end to give a more even frequency attenuation and both knocked the dB down by about the same amount.

Anyway, not long after I got the spendy ones, my dog severely chewed one of them. Oh well.

Dogs seem to like eating funky things, like earplugs with wax all over them. My dog ate a pair that I left on the nightstand. We never knew until we took the dog for a walk and noticed some bright orange things in his poop. OK, I'm not using those anymore.

Dogs seem to like eating funky things, like earplugs with wax all over them. My dog ate a pair that I left on the nightstand. We never knew until we took the dog for a walk and noticed some bright orange things in his poop. OK, I'm not using those anymore.
Yeah, gotta love the dogs! I've had a few foam ones morph their way into doggy treats only to be discovered months later out on the lawn after a heavy rain.

I have to admit that I, too, have had earplugs eaten by one of my three dogs. I have a feeling it was the border collie. All that was left was part of a plastic string that connected them.

Thanks for your reply. What is so good about the Exinors. For example, if you compare them to a pair of cheap earplugs (im about to google it but would rather hear from someone who has used them.)

They're custom moulded, so fit perfectly, and you get to choose the filter that's inserted according the dB reduction you require. The filters mean you still get excellent clarity, just at an evenly attenuated volume. I find they make it easier to make out what people are saying in very loud environments.

If you feel you need to be wearing protection on a regular basis and sometimes for extended periods custom moulds are the way to go.

I've been using the custom fit Westone plugs for about 12 years. That's what the local hearing & speech center dealt.

I could not be happier and couldn't imagine ever playing or practicing without them.

Besides being very comfortable, the music still sounds incredible and not muffled.

Back