My new PDP CX Series Kit

Acetrucker42

Hello all, this is my new PDP kit which I bought just before Christmas. Personaly I Love the wrap, so much that I am going to order a new wrap to recover the black floor tom to match the kit, it fits prefectly with the 60's music I play in my band and for an older kit it is in fantastic condition. The only problem is the guitarest in the band is unwell and we havent got a gig untill the end of February so I havent had the chance to hear it live yet!!

The drum sizes are 10",12" Toms, 14" Floor Tom, 14" Snare and 22" Bass. I love the sound of the Maple shells with the Pinstripes with no dampening and just a couple of strips of material on the batter and reso heads of the bass. Ok not quite the 60's sound but it's a new kit to my so I can endulge myself a little can't I?

Attachments

• SDC13348DW.jpg
    SDC13348DW.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 4,007
Those are really nice kits. I've played quite a few of them, and have always found the snare to be the weakest link. What do YOU think?

I'd probably worry about upgrading the cymbals before re-wrapping the floor tom, though. I see all of that "Sabian Pro" ink, and I figure that the brightness/brashness is probably harder on your ears than the black wrap is hard on your eyes...

Thanks for the good comments. I like your set too, I play a really similar set up when space is limited. I am planning to upgreade all my cymbals but with money being tight I will have to do a few more gigs before I can start replacing them. The problem is when you use them so much the sound becomes normal, it's not untill you hear some really good cymbals you realise how much differance there is. Compaired to my old Snare this ones a dream!

Thanks for the good comments. I like your set too, I play a really similar set up when space is limited. I am planning to upgreade all my cymbals but with money being tight I will have to do a few more gigs before I can start replacing them. The problem is when you use them so much the sound becomes normal, it's not untill you hear some really good cymbals you realise how much differance there is. Compaired to my old Snare this ones a dream!

Nice. Glad to hear it.

Classic looking kit.
I have tried, and liked the CX kit. I played a nicely appointed one at a shared gig a short while back.
I would definitely set my sights on some new pies.
I agree that the snare on those kits is OK. Not spectacular, but OK.

You are going to really enjoy that kit. I have had my CX 1st gen. in Onyx white for almost 6 years now. It sounds excellent recorded and like Caddy said the snare is the only weak link. I tried many tried and tested heads on the snare to no avail. I just quieltly put it in a case where it has rested untouched. For the money, I don't think there was a better sounding all Maple kit at the time. In February I will be replacing it with a new kit. I'm sure I will take it out every now and then for local gigs. Congrats !

I have the same kit and wrap. Great sound.

It's funny how wraps come and go and then get resurrected. The wrap on your kit was a popular offering on Gretsch, Ludwig and Slingerland kits in the late 60s and 70s. DW brought it back for the CX (and then discontinued it).

It was called Vintage Sky Blue Pearl back in the day.

Gretsch revived it a few years ago and Ludwig is releasing a kit with this same wrap this year. I saw it in the NAMM photos posted recently on this forum.

Jammin' Sam in Arizona carries this wrap so you can get some for your other floor tom. I bought some and made an 18" floor tom for my CX since it wasn't offered in that line. DW will sell you the lugs if you order them through a dealer. Except for the floor tom leg mounts my 18 matches the rest of my kit perfectly.

Nice kit! My previous set was a CX in black onyx.

At the time I bought my set I really wanted black diamond pearl, but the more I see the sky blue the more I think that's one of the greatest diamond pearl wraps EVER. It has really grown on me.

Those are really nice kits. I've played quite a few of them, and have always found the snare to be the weakest link. What do YOU think?

I'd probably worry about upgrading the cymbals before re-wrapping the floor tom, though. I see all of that "Sabian Pro" ink, and I figure that the brightness/brashness is probably harder on your ears than the black wrap is hard on your eyes...

I bought a red sparkle CXR kit a few years back when they discontinued them. I found the snare to be one of the best stock snare drums I have ever heard. Lots of crack and just explosive. The kick was thunderous as well. The toms were geed but not as impressive as the kick/snare. They can sound good but they are very sensitive to tuning changes and have a small sweet spot. all of this is the exact opposite of my Birch Mapex kit so it been a challenge all the way around to develop a tuning that works on each kit..

Great kit!! Love those thin resonant maple shells! I have the same 7ply shells on my M5.
I also rather like the snare drum! Just a killer overall set! Congrats!

Back