Advertisements Everywhere

Fabo

Is anyone else getting frustrated with or even noticing the amount of advertising that's popping up everywhere now, specifically on the internet? First it was just pop ups on the internet, then on to sites like google, now they're almost impossible to avoid on youtube, and even on this forum they're popping up in people's comments sometimes. I know people make money from having the advertisements up, but is it that necessary? It gets kind of annoying being bombarded with them everywhere.

How much have you donated to this site to keep it running?

If someone hasn't donated anything, they don't have much standing to complain about it, in my opinion. They should just be happy it's here and the ads are paying the freight for them.

I do donate. And I don't complain about the ads, even though I notice them appearing more on this site.

I said I understand about the money thing and I was not complaining, nor directly insulting this site or anything. I simply noticed them appearing more on this site. My comment was more directed towards it in general everywhere else, not so much the small sites/forums that probably really need the money.

The internet became about advertising a long time ago. People want you to visit their sites, be on their lists, watch their YouTube vids, etc... so they can demonstrate 'traffic' to advertisers, place ads on their sites, and get a few cents a click from advertisers hoping you'll spend money with them.

Annoying? Yes. Surprising? No.

I do appreciate sites that exist purely for information or entertainment with no ancillary income intentions, but I understand that both advertisers and many webmasters want to generate income wherever possible.

Bermuda

I was thinking about this recently. Not so much being bothered by ads ... for me, ignoring them and closing them down are second nature.

I was thinking that, if I'm so immune to advertising's "charms" then I wonder how many others are also oblivious. If enough internet users are as oblivious as I am then this advertising model - that represents billions and billions of dollars - would be a massive bubble waiting to burst.

I suspect that, as a long term experienced web user who started before the advertising boom, I may be less responsive than most. I hope so, anyway. I love the way advertising heps to fund so much cool free stuff. If the bubble burst it would be ugly so, every now and then, I'll click an ad to keep 'em sweet :)

I was thinking that, if I'm so immune to advertising's "charms" then I wonder how many others are also oblivious. If enough internet users are as oblivious as I am then this advertising model - that represents billions and billions of dollars - would be a massive bubble waiting to burst.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, who responds to these and how effective are they? I guess since there's so many people online there must be some percentage of people that click the adds and then another percentage of those people who actually follow through with what was being advertised.

I want to know how the heck it is that I can go to Home Depot, come home and open DW and right there at the top advert banner and all my email account pages, etc are full of Home Depot ads. How does the internet know I just went to Home Depot?

I want to know how the heck it is that I can go to Home Depot, come home and open DW and right there at the top advert banner and all my email account pages, etc are full of Home Depot ads. How does the internet know I just went to Home Depot?

Probably because you made a transaction with your credit card.
It's pretty sad, and somewhat scary: anyone can get lots of your information through the internet. You make a purchase with your credit card, home depot now knows your email, phone number, address, etc.
With home depot is doesn't really matter, they're a professional company and wouldn't give your information to anyone else. But with some companies it does matter. If I knew your name, I could go to a site, and find your address, phone numbers, email, annual income, a picture of your house, your family info, and any criminal backround (not saying you have one, lol).

Veered a little off topic here, lol.
Yeah ads are a pain :/ I don't really mind them unless they're popups, especially the ones where the "x" button is a single pixel or when you close it it just opens the ad anyway.

I never, EVER click on ads that are unrelated to the sites I visit. That is, a drum-related ad on Drummerworld may get a click from me, but the Vodafone banner ad that I see at the top of this page right now will not. Sorry, Bernhard.

Bermuda

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, who responds to these and how effective are they? I guess since there's so many people online there must be some percentage of people that click the adds and then another percentage of those people who actually follow through with what was being advertised.

Yes, it must be a similar principle to spam - low overheads with weight of numbers. Talking of spam, if people manage to get themselves ripped off by the Nigerian phishers, I guess anything is possible for advertisers ...

I never, EVER click on ads that are unrelated to the sites I visit. That is, a drum-related ad on Drummerworld may get a click from me, but the Vodafone banner ad that I see at the top of this page right now will not.

That makes sense. I was playing back tonight's band practice recordings and suddenly there's these awesome drums coming through my headphones.

I'm thinking, "Wow! I can't remember playing that!". Next minute there's this blurb about Michael Michalkow's drumming system ... I'd clicked his ad - lol

I find it comforting that I was also given an ad offering to perfect my golf swing. They mightn't know so much about us, after all.

I was thinking about this recently. Not so much being bothered by ads ... for me, ignoring them and closing them down are second nature.

I suspect that, as a long term experienced web user who started before the advertising boom, I may be less responsive than most. I hope so, anyway. I love the way advertising heps to fund so much cool free stuff. If the bubble burst it would be ugly so, every now and then, I'll click an ad to keep 'em sweet :)

I think you may well be less responsive than most. I do pay attention to the ads on a page, particularly if they are restricted to just a few places on the page. I click on links and I have bought items that way, some of them locally. As people become more socially conscious, they cannot help but acknowledge the advertisers keep a site free and funded and as long as the ads aren't obnoxious, I think they will be more open to the presence of ads. Like Bermuda, though, I am most interested in ads relating to the page.

I pay most attention to Facebook ads and sometimes steer my clients to Facebook advertising as it's very affordable.

Welcome to the internet??? Really don't know what to say but you shouldn't be getting any popups if you use the right browser and pop up / ad blocker. I don't see any ads on this or any other site.

This isn't much different than companies sending advertisements to your mailbox (aka junk mail), or the annoying Ginzu knife type commercials on TV. It must work to a certain extent, or companies wouldn't waste their advertising dollars.

This isn't much different than companies sending advertisements to your mailbox (aka junk mail), or the annoying Ginzu knife type commercials on TV. It must work to a certain extent, or companies wouldn't waste their advertising dollars.

Yeah I agree, I throw away about a trees worth of paper weekly in junk mail. Mostly my cable compnay (insight) trying to get me to sign up for their internet phone service that costs $29 a month! Magic jack is about a tenth of the cost for the same service. You'd have to be rich or a moron to buy vonage or cable phone.

I think you may well be less responsive than most. I do pay attention to the ads on a page, particularly if they are restricted to just a few places on the page. I click on links and I have bought items that way, some of them locally.

I guess I came up at a time when the net was all about geeks and free exchange. I still run websites giving away free stuff (no ads). It's a pretty ye olde worlde attitude, I know. I'm having yet another birthday today and I suppose I'm a long way from the ideal target audience.

I agree with your point about donating.

I guess I came up at a time when the net was all about geeks and free exchange. I still run websites giving away free stuff (no ads). It's a pretty ye olde worlde attitude, I know. I'm having yet another birthday today and I suppose I'm a long way from the ideal target audience.

Happy birthday! Balloons and ice cream for you!

I understand about free exchange - you even created a cool caricature of me, free, so I know you speak with authority on that.

Though it seems like writing a program to block all ads on all sites - regardless of content - works against free exchange and reduces the monetary value of sites in general. I guess that's not a problem if the site is funded with fees or donations.

Some ads a truly obnoxious - popups and ones that follow you around the page. I just leave those sites. But if ads are not intrusive and carry relevant information, to me, they're just part of what goes into a typical Web site.

Even if enough people donated, I assume most sites would keep the ads for the profit, but nonetheless I understand the need for them, I just find it becoming more present than it should be.

Also, Happy Birthday.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys :) There's been more of them than I'd like but it at least beats the alternative, eh?

Yep DMC, I'm still idealistic about doing freebies, although I understand that it's a luxury that not everyone who'd like to do that can afford. I got a kick out of doing those caricatures (yours turned out especially well :) and seeing people happy with them so, in a way, I'm getting paid. Bernhard also does what he does for love and I totally relate to that (and am grateful for it).

A new state government is certain to be voted in tomorrow and it's possible that that could end up with my job disappearing, in which case I might need to look at a way of monetising the illustrations. Living in interesting times ...

Fabo, advertising is usually a bit of a trial but I find it worse on TV and radio where you totally lose content for a while than the web, where you can ignore or dismiss the ads pretty easily. I just hate super intense, intrusive ads and ads that make a noise when you're listening to music. Google Adsense is no drama - the ads just benignly sit there and how much you interact is totally your choice.

Back