THE DRUM MICROPHONE / MICROPHONES THREAD

Re: mics

tmc said:
I use a pair of condensors in an x-y position placed about the middle of the kit and about 3-feet above.

Whats an 'X-Y position', just being curious...

And while I'm on the topic of positioning, could anyone draw me a small diagram of where you usually put ur mics and stands?

Also, when micing with dynamic mics, is it better to attach the mic to the drum (I've seen some people do that) or put it hanging over the drum with a stand?

The 'X/Y' technique is used to get a perfect stereo image of an audio source (or that's its intention at least). You can do this with two mic stands, or one if you have a multi-mic adapter for the one stand. Basically, you point both mics towards the corner of a right angle. The idea is that the sound arrives at both mics at the same time. Each mic 'looks over the shoulder' of the other mic to catch the oposite stereo image. The mic on the right will be getting more of the sound on the left, and vice versa. Usually, these mics get used as overheads and a good starting place is just above your head when you are sitting down at the drum throne.

There are lots of great ways to mic the drums. I know there are a few common ones that actually have names but they escape me right now. I won't bother to explain them all in detail because that info is widely available via search. I will tell you my current favorite way to mic though. I use one small diaphram condensor in omni mode just over my head, pointing down towards the center of my kit, or right about where my right knee is. I use a large diaphram dynamic in the kick. Lately I've been using a small diaphram dynamic on the snare, but I think I'm about to switch to a small diaphram condensor in cardiod mode. I like to use a large diaphram condensor in the other room for my 'room mic'.

ok, im really new to recording (all i know is what i've gotten from scanning a few wikipedia articles and lotsa threads here) so i've got some questions. im planning (somtime) to get two overheads to mic my kit. i'll be using garage band on a powerbook to record my playing.
i know i'll need two identical overhead condensers - i'm on quite a budget, so i'm looking at three models mainly:
Nady CM-90
Nady CM-88
and Behringer B-5
I'm shying away from the Behringer because of the price. are cardoid mics ok for overheads or will i want to spend the extra cash for the option of omnidirectional?
what kinda stand(s) and clips and the like will i need for an XY setup? (cheap servicable examples welcome)
what am i gonna need as a middleman from the mics to the powerbook? (same w/ examples again)
what will i need to power the mics?
and is there anything i seem to be missing? like i said, im new at this and need to know the complete spectrum of gear i need to buy
thanks, sorry for so many questions

ps-also, opinions one which of the above mics i should get (especially between the nadys) and low-cost alternatives are welcome

Audix D2's on Toms up to 14" - D4's on larger toms - i5 Under the snare, SM57 on top and an Audio Technica AE2500 ( Dual Element ) on the Bassdrum. Overheads Rode NT1's - This setup is producing great results for me and my RC's and Istanbuls!

also, almost forgot, should i get pencil condensers as overheads using XY or will any old condenser do?

Microphones

alright heres my drum specs if it helps at all?

Pearl Export EXR 7pc (Poplar Wood)
10x8
12x9
14x11
16x16
22x18
14x5 (Secondary Snare)
14x5 (Main Snare Pearl Sensitone Brass)

right now my room is fairly larger the walls are half stone half wood. The flooring is carpet and tile in one part of it. Ceiling are fairly tall. i'm looking for an ideal micing setup and microphones brand and serise etc. for Main Snare (Brass) Secondary Snare (Poplar Wood) all tom toms, Bass Drum and cymbals placed around my kit i dont want the microphones to take up to much space but i dont want to suffer sound quality for size. suggestions would be great thank you.

Re: Microphones

I'd keep things simple... go for a pair of decent condenser mics for overheads (I use Rode NT1A's, which are great, but for something a little cheaper the M-Audio Nova is great sounding), a Shure SM57 for your snare(s) and a kick drum mic (AKG D112, Shure Beta52 or Audix D6 seem to be the big 3 choices). Only after that, look at your budget and see if you need / can afford tom mics. FWIW I use a Shure Beta57A on my snare and SM57's on my toms, and currently a D112 (soon to be replaced by a Beta52) in the kick.

You'd be surprised how good of a sound you can get with just some condenser mics in the room. The infamous Bonham sound on "When the Levee Breaks," for example, was created by placing a single big condenser at the top of a stairwell.

Ya, I wouldn't get more than three or four mics to start with. There are a lot of possibilities with just that small amount. Once you feel you've got the sound you want with those, you can add more where you think you need it... for example: close mic'ing your toms... or adding more room mics...

Also, if you focus on just a few mics at first, you may be able to spend some money on some decent pres.

Live drum mikes

How practicle would it be to use two overhead condenser mikes (akg c430),an audix f10 on the snare and an audix f12 on the kick. any opinions would be greatly welcome

Re: Live drum mikes

Uhhh I don't know much about mics but I would think you'd need mics for the toms too. That's a pretty good setup you have there, but you need some fer your toms. I played with just over heads and bass and they sounded like shite.

rendezvous is right. Live and the studio are different beasts - in the studio you can use basically just overheads and a kick mic and get away with it if you have quality mics and good stuff in the signal chain, because you can minimise spill and use the overheads to pick up tone from the toms. If you have nice enough mics, tuning, room and placement then the only thing missing is usually some low-end from the kick. But in a live environment the whole setup is different - generally the cymbals will carry pretty well without microphones up to fairly large room sizes, but the toms vanish almost immediately and the bass drum loses bass pretty sharpish too. So you tend to see it as re-enforcement rather than trying to capture what's happening.

I've done engineering gigs with just a kick mic and tom mikes, both mixed pretty low. They work enough to fill out the bass and tone from the drums, while the snare and cymbals still have enough cut to make it through the mix. But ideally you want complete coverage.

Thanks for your feed back! I have a set of audix mikes I have been using for live gigs, I use one f 10 for the snare, one for both mounted toms and one for both floor toms, the f12 for the kick.Getting pretty good results with that setup, just missing the crisp highs on the cymbals. The motive behind the overheads replacing the tom mikes was that our mixer only has four channels available for drums. Looks like secondary mixer may be in the cards for the drum mikes and throw in the condensers.

What type of overhead mikes would be best to use considering the guitar amps are close to the drums?

Frank M said:
What type of overhead mikes would be best to use considering the guitar amps are close to the drums?
None. Ive have donbe tons of sound and sure you can get a nice sound out of overheads but they are a pain in the ass to control. Just stick to micing your toms, snare and kick, your cymbals will come through the tom mics just fine and your snare mic will pickup the hats.

Yep, I've got the Sennheiser e604s as well. Nice mics. Plenty of punch and low end, which seemed to be missing somewhat with the SM57s. I always found the 57s a little flat sounding or something...

Anyway, I'm happy with the Sennheisers for the toms...

Kick Drum Microphones

I'm looking to buy one. Don't know much about whats good and whats not. Been looking at the AKG D 112 Kick Drum Microphone. Disregarding money, what should I look at for quality.

Back