Sonor ProLite drum color (does it affect sound)

TheFDrummer

Does the color of the ProLite series has any affect on the sound the way it has on price?

For example:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sonor_prolite_stage_2_brown_exotic.htm 2959 eur

Sonor ProLite Stage 2 Shellset, Color Walnut Brown Busrt (-87), Version Exotic Veneer High Gloss lacquered Shell, chrome thomann Shell Hardware, Stage 2 Shellset containing 22"x17,5" Bass Drum (NM-without Bracket), 10"x08" - 12"x09" Tom Tom, 14"x14" FloorTom, all Shells with a 45° bearing Edge in handselected extremly Thin 100% Maple Wood with Reinforcement Rings for a open Sound with warm Tone and thomann excellent balance between Mids and Hi Range, Tom Toms with T.A.R Mount System, all Lugs with Tunesafe

and

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sonor_prolite_stage_3_natural.htm 2369 eur

Sonor ProLite Stage 3 Shellset, Color Natural (-71), Version Matte/Satin Semi Gloss lacquered Shells, chrome Shell Hardware, Stage thomann 3 Shellset containing 22"x17,5" Bass Drum (NM-without Bracket), 10"x08" - 12"x09" Tom Tom, 16"x16" FloorTom, all Shells with a 45° bearing Edge in handselected extremly Thin 100% Maple Wood with Reinforcement Rings for a open Sound with warm Tone and excellent balance between thomann Mids and Hi Range, Tom Toms with T.A.R Mount System, all Lugs with Tunesafe,

I can't imagine the type of wood used on the outer veneer would make a bit of difference in a drum's tone, Pro-Lite or any other ply drums out there. With that said, the dark brown finish is stunning. Well worth the extra coin.

The only reason I can see for the price differential is, the application of different stains in a fade pattern,in contrast to a natural finish with no stain.

One process takes longer to do,and is done by prehaps more skilled workers and takes a milti-step process.That takes time,and time is money.Hence the added expence.

The color of a shell,all things being equal,does NOT affect it's sound to an apreciable,humanly detectable degree..

Steve B

I don't know if sonor use wraps on the prolite but I've heard ppl say wraps affect the sound a bit.

Check out the difference in prices between gloss lacquer finish and satin finish on Gretsch USA Custom. HUGE difference.

And the explainarion for that,is in the amount of extra labor,that goes into that gloss lacquer finish,the way Gretsch does it.It's done by skilled workers and is very lengthly process.

Steve B

There are no wraps on the Prolite series! On the high gloss veneers they are wood veneers. If you listen to the Prolite video from Sonor they go through all the finishes. I purchased my Prolite at Thomann :) Small world.

I like the Silver sparkle as a mid price finish within the Prolite series but if I had to do it again I would be ok with natural or creme white.

I toured the factory for the Prolite 2012 event and I can promise you there are no wraps and only wood veneers. Besides seeing each version of the finish during the tour I also played each one at the showroom and did not hear any sound difference.

It's done by skilled workers and is very lengthly process.

Exactly. Numerous steps, with a lot of time (hours or days) between each step while they wait for things to dry, cure, etc.

Modern ply drum shells take surprisingly little time to make in a semi automated environment if you make enough of them. Similarly, Asian sourced hardware is fairly inexpensive. Neither shell production (including the ply sheets) nor shell hardware are the biggest cost elements in a modern volume produced ply drum. Against that environment, anything that takes a lot of time certainly adds hugely to the cost, as the biggest overall cost is company overhead made up of multiple elements outside of labour & materials.

A good high quality lacquer finish takes time. Time in applying the various coats, time in sanding between coats, & dwell time between coats. Exceptions being some of the one coat UV cure processes.

As for sound differences, the application of super heavy lacquer coatings to a very thin or otherwise highly resonant shell will yield an appreciable difference. Application to an average ply shell, even when applied to a good thickness, will yield minimal differences that are difficult to detect, & subsequently not worth bothering about.

Back