Patriotic American song ideas for Memorial Day gig?

The Lee Greenwood song is your call. I'm personally tired of it after what, 25 years? It almost reads like a parody of patriotism, but plenty of other songs probably fit that description and have become songbook standards, so...just my opinion.

American Pie, on the other hand is pretty patriotic, but more from the standpoint of having to watch your country change into something you weren't ready for. It's kind of a goodbye to the perceived innocence of the postwar period that is commonly regarded as a "conservative" view of America, and a goodbye to the sensibilities that got the country there in the first place.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Neil Diamond's America yet:

Far
We've been travelling far
Without a home
But not without a star

Free
Only want to be free
We huddle close
Hang on to a dream

On the boats and on the planes
They're coming to America
Never looking back again

Home, don't it seem so far away
Oh, we're travelling light today
In the eye of the storm
In the eye of the storm

Home, to a new and a shiny place
Make our bed, and we'll say our grace
Freedom's light burning warm
Freedom's light burning warm

Everywhere around the world
Every time that flag's unfurled

Got a dream to take them there
Got a dream they've come to share

Today, today, today, today, today

My country 'tis of thee
(Today)
Sweet land of liberty
(today)
Of thee I sing
(today)
Of thee I sing
(today)

Hey guys (fellow Americans and of course fellow drummers from other countries),

We have a show booked for Memorial Day weekend and I brought up to my bandmates that we should really focus on the aspect of the holiday. Not to take advantage of it, because we genuinely love our country (my other 3 bandmates served the US Armed Forces), but I think we could really get a huge draw by promoting the holiday.

I already plan on flying the U.S. Flag in place of our band banner and having a static red/white/blue light presentation instead of our typical flashing sound-active light show.

But I'd like to try to cover a patriotic/U.S. themed song for this show. It can't be anything TOO difficult, because of our limited practice time before the show. We are a 4 piece cover rock band (2 guitarists), no keyboards. My immediate favorites are Born in the USA and Coming to America, but there ARE keys in there, although there could be some chance that part could be replicated on guitar. I guess the first thought is rocking the National Anthem and that could be the easiest way to go before we launch into our opener.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

The other National Anthem: Born to Be Wild.....

Thank you for your service.

It would be a great song to do. "City of New Orleans" would go over well, too. "Comin' into Los Angeles", not so much.

"Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against The Machine.

The U.S. is built on questioning the concentration of power...what is more patriotic than speaking out against power abuse even when unethical investigation/enforcement powers might damage your career...or life?

This is the essence of the original Continental Congress.

(otto runs away hiding his muck sturring stick)

Ref lyrics etc....I'm a VietNam combat vet, Mekong Delta....I'd be sensitive to the lyrics if
the songs are supposed to be Patriotic....just sayin'....ref Vietnam...it was all wrong and
once you were there, if there were any doubts, you knew it then....I was drafted and in before
the protests really hit the streets here. Plenty of great tunes to choose from!

Back