What's with the cape inside joke?

My cousin eventually came back to his house,a few hours later,feet bleeding and freezing.He assumed a new identity as Batman.After that,he eventually settled down,moved to Bucks county Pennsylvania and became an electrician,who has his own business whos name sounds like the name of a playing card..Tag....your it.:):)

Steve B

Cousin!

I absolutely loved the way he referred to the cape as casually as if it had been a shirt.

+1 !!

It was a great story ... one of my favs. The original mention of cape was pretty subtle, but it was immediately picked up.

Perhaps it was the beer, but I found the thing bloody hilarious at the time. Good stuff.

Capes to all!
radman

Okay J, I've found a scenario where I can imagine the story as described actually transpire ...

It's cute, actually ... a Johnny is just starting out with his little friends, wearing their capes and knee high boots borrowed from Mum, out to conquer the world and impress the girls.

But no! Disaster strikes! Total ignominy! A shame that will not be lived down! Run Johnny! Run for your life! Oops! Sorry! Just keep running, and running ...

... until ...

... Mum turns up to provide the TLC and mop up operations.

Thanks for the extra background, Lar. I relate to Topgun - I don't know what's true any more!

It's not ideal drumming attire. I mean, even I have something a bit more modest for actually playing in.
Spoken by a card carrying cape wearer. Lol why is it you can get away with the cape and dwforever can't?

The cape thread was certainly a classic. Unfortunately it's been awhile since we've had a thread that was so entertaining for us cynical comics that are here on DW. Some of the most entertaining threads get deleted because somebody has to go "there", wherever that may be.

On a side note, I actually am related to a top CIA agent who worked in the 60's during the Acid tests. He headed that operation. My family ended up moving to LA because my grandpa was a spitting image of this guy (code name, Morgan Hall). It was safer for my grandpa and his family to move here to So. California so that he didn't get killed accidentally by the Chinese Mob.

It's not ideal drumming attire. I mean, even I have something a bit more modest for actually playing in.

Shame. Although I would have described your garment as a cloak rather than a cape, as it is long and has a hood. To me, a cape is usually a short garment, sans hood, and preferably made of a soft, drapey fabric like satin. Am I over-thinking things? And what do you actually play in - is it made of satin?

As an aside, I did wonder at first whether a cape was genuine drum terminology for something rather more pedestrian, in the same way as stools (the seat variety) are called thrones.

Of course. How stupid of me. I've been Saturned.

Henri, lol. The Mad Scientist strikes again. You really should make a collection of all your creations into a slide show. It would be a quick visual overview of everything important that ever went on here. The Cliff Notes version of DrummerWorld.

AAAAHHHH Mapex Saturn......the source of many verbal fisticuffs,angry PMs,and jousting .Big badges anyone?

Didn't the last round of "The Saturn Sensitivity Syndrome", result in the wielding of the ban hammer?:):):)

Steve B

Weren't the acid tests the Grateful Dead shows in Panhandle park etc?

Here's the story

I'm sure you are right. It was known by a couple names: MK-ULTRA and Operation Midnight Climax were a couple others. I wasn't aware of the Florida Grateful Dead shows. I'm just working off of hearsay and from what I've read.

Shame. Although I would have described your garment as a cloak rather than a cape, as it is long and has a hood. To me, a cape is usually a short garment, sans hood, and preferably made of a soft, drapey fabric like satin. Am I over-thinking things? And what do you actually play in - is it made of satin?

I'm totally with you on the cape/cloak thing, although apparently the words are strictly interchangeable.

I play in this thing:
1150374_448404025196074_1869683800_n.jpg

which is like a hood with a bit of extra material. I got it because it was easier to transport and didn't get in the way as much. The proper cloak is mostly used for photos/videos and the like. Both are made of cotton.
(I'm the red and blue one second from right for those of you who don't know what I look like)

I'm totally with you on the cape/cloak thing, although apparently the words are strictly interchangeable.

I play in this thing:
1150374_448404025196074_1869683800_n.jpg

which is like a hood with a bit of extra material. I got it because it was easier to transport and didn't get in the way as much. The proper cloak is mostly used for photos/videos and the like. Both are made of cotton.
(I'm the red and blue one second from right for those of you who don't know what I look like)

That....is.....bloody......awesome!!!!! Coming to Australia anytime soon?

Wow! So your relative was a kind of intelligence standover guy. Is that where the Midnight in your UN comes from?

You're one here who has earned the right to wear a cape (you and Ben, anyway).

Why thank you, G.

Yes, I can talk about him only because he is dead now. ha ha. He was a real SOB if you ask me, but a fascinating character nevertheless. My uncle (the drummer) wrote a book about him but I haven't read it. He died before it got published, but he finished it. Too bad...

I would like to say yes about the midnight thing, but that was just made up from the fact that I am the black sheep of the family. The Zephyr comes from my dad's autoharp business, Zephyr Hills.

Oooh Ben, you look fantastic! All of you do, but there really is something about the cape ..!

Back