H&B Drum Seeker Bag Review

WayneWickman

Back to gigging after 20 years and thought I would do it right this time. Been researching/mulling bags for about 2 months, traveling many miles just to get some face time with certain models. Decided on the H&B Seeker line. Simply awesome..take the industry standard Tuxedo; add a plush lining, better..more heavy duty zippers, semi-rigid top/bottom inserts between the foam and lining, and rubber grips on the nylon straps. Very close in price to Tuxedos, a few dollars more per bag is definately worth it. H&B got it right with this line.
Also picked up a Kases III. 46" hardware bag. Nothing too special; wheels, rigid back. What it lacks is a rigid handle for when you pull it. They can get heavy fast and the nylon handle can get a little uncomfortable after a while.
Picked up the SBK Cymbal Vault w/o wheels. Choose it over the Zildjian Cymbal Safe because it seemed more heavy duty and built better. I liked the included divider pads with the SBK. What I don't understand about the design of the SBK is why they did not put the handle on the half with the cymbals. Makes no sense, you don't fully connect the clip or it fails...comes apart..the half with the cymbals goes down the stairs and your left holding the empty half. Put the cymbals on the handle half people.

Attachments

• Studio_Project 022.jpg
    Studio_Project 022.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 5,147
  • Studio_Project 023.jpg
    Studio_Project 023.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 4,580
  • Studio_Project 025.jpg
    Studio_Project 025.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 4,541
agreed ! i have the same DrumSeeker bags...best bags/cases i have ever used. and you know your drums are clean, warm & dry in these things.

still on a half-azzed search on the ultimate hardware case as i am on my 2nd one in about 2 years now (Beato?). the kind with skateboard wheels at one end & an axle. i won't ever buy the Protec brand w/ the semi-recessed wheels...they eventually fall apart.

Nice.

As for hardware cases, I've had the same H&B Vulcanized fiber trap case with wheels for 20 years now.
It's been around the block a few times and has seen a few rainy and snowy days.
It ain't pretty, but it's held up, and doesn't weigh a ton with nothing in it (which helps a lot!!).

It's the tall one with the wood bottom and caster wheels attached. I can just fold up the legs on everything (even the hat stand) and put the stand in as is. That makes for very fast set-up/tear-downs.

I've had to reinforce the bottom with more screws and use heavy duty gaff tape for the pieces that hold the straps, but it's better than buying a new case....and not too bad for a 20 year old case!
After I fixed those couple things a year or so ago, it's been fine.

So, that one is my recommendation for a hardware case.

I also have the Vulcanized trap case with the wood bottom. It's a beast.

More recently I've been using the Kaces bag with semi-recessed wheels mentioned earlier. What a piece of garbage. One wheel won't turn anymore and the fabric ripped. Time for a new hardware case! Thinking about Protection Racket.

H&B got it right with this line.

IMO 'almost' got it right-on. The bags rock, but the logo sucks.

That logo is a surprise from H&B, expected something a little more regal, seems like they're loosely trying to copy PROTECTION RACKETS krazy logo, appeal to the hip, younger crowd... fail.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 4,087
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 4,080
I just ordered all kaces HD semi ridgid bags. Been using the snare bag a while and love it. I'll do a review later next week. Hope it's a good one. Very plush inside though. Should be good.
I got a beat up old kaces harware bag used with the wheels and it's been fine for over a year. I load it so heavy two people have trouble with it but so far no problem. The strap is very badly designed though no doubt! Awefull for using it hand truck style.

H&B got it right with this line.

IMO 'almost' got it right-on. The bags rock, but the logo sucks.

That logo is a surprise from H&B, expected something a little more regal, seems like they're loosely trying to copy PROTECTION RACKETS krazy logo, appeal to the hip, younger crowd... fail.

What does a logo have to do with the function of the bag? Or any piece of equipment for that matter..

What does a logo have to do with the function of the bag? Or any piece of equipment for that matter..

It has to do with how it (the logo) functions in the minds of people who aren't drummers, or aren't even musicians for that matter.

At some gigs the people who hire you have their head in a different place, and Im not talking about rock clubs.

On a black bag those logos stick out like a flashing light, that logo is the paint job.

It has to do with how it (the logo) functions in the minds of people who aren't drummers, or aren't even musicians for that matter.

At some gigs the people who hire you have their head in a different place, and Im not talking about rock clubs.

On a black bag those logos stick out like a flashing light, that logo is the paint job.

The drum Seekers are great bags... as are the Protection Racket bags... I'm not sure what you are getting at here - but in over 20 years of gigging - nobody has ever made even so much as an off -hand remark about the containers I put my drums in. Seriously - Who cares about the logo on your cases?

Have you actually had this kind of experience?

And if the logo is really a problem - you could just remove it.

The drum Seekers are great bags... as are the Protection Racket bags... I'm not sure what you are getting at here - but in over 20 years of gigging - nobody has ever made even so much as an off -hand remark about the containers I put my drums in. Seriously - Who cares about the logo on your cases?

Have you actually had this kind of experience?

And if the logo is really a problem - you could just remove it.

There are gig's I've played where the 'person in charge' of the stage is under house rules such as no secondary gear visible that's not black in colour (fans, cords etc), very strict protocol.

A crowd does exist where these cartoon logos might mean a difference, even though bags/cases are backstage, its like wearing the wrong kind of clothes in some peoples mind... could even result in a non call back if the person in charge is anal enough.

Yes, bands do operate like that, they want the (money) gig's and if the house doesn't like something about you or your gear and they mention it to the band leader, that leaders first allegiance is to the person giving them the gig, not a replaceable musician. This is usually hi-end international 5 star resort settings, not your local bar or HOLIDAY INN.

loving my Pro racs being from the UK myself thought id go for 'local' stuff, seeing as the rest of my stuff is pretty much all american. they look like nice bags if they are anything like mine they are sure to be excellent cases and will last you ages havent seen a scratch on my gear since ive been using them

Re: H&B Drum Seeker Bag Review --TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED because of the Stupid Strap

I got this bag because I needed a gig bag for my 8 x14 snare drum. It's a difficult to find size but available in the Drum Seeker series.

They would be great, but for the stupid straps!
The strap on the snare drum bag is too short to be a shoulder strap and long enough for the thing to just about drag on the ground. They're HORRIBLE!
If you have to carry the thing any distance, like through an airport, they're a pain in the ass.
Why would they be manufactured this way?!
The cases are great for storage, or if you're just carrying for very short distances.
I believe every snare drum bag should have an adjustable shoulder strap and a handle for hand carrying - like the Levy's bags.

I'm a professional drummer and I'm working! and I'm still looking for a functional snare drum case for my 8 x 14 drum. Any suggestions are welcome. Again, the Levy's bag is the best design I've found (though the Drum Seeker bag does provide better protection) but they don't make an 8 x 14 case. Too bad.

I haven't seen an SKB product yet that is suitable for the working musician....obviously nobody at SKB has ever gigged a day in their life.....as far as drum bags are concerned, I have all Protection Racket...they are real nice, but also real expensive and I REALLY like this H&B line of Drum Seeker Bags...I've also owned a Wolfpak Drum Bag....very nice as well, but hard to find...nobody seems to carry them...thanks...MG

I bought & own: an 8", 10", 12" & 14" tom, 13" snare, 14" snare, 20" kick, (& a 22" kick, which I just sold) H&B Drum Seeker (thick, gray, furry lining) bags. They're outstanding & are meant to match Protection Racket's (thick, white, furry lining) features & protection (& they do exactly that).

Call & ask for Matt Forkum @ Fork's Drum Closet for Drum Seeker bags. Tell Matt (who is the owner's son) that "Alex in San Francisco" referred you. I feel like I owe him for the fantastic gear deal he gave me last week. ;)

Back