Dave Abbruzzese

adamdude said:
Dave A. was fired over breakfast by Stone for reasons that are no1 really fully understands to this day.

I think Dave A. was always at odds with Ed Vedder regarding all issues in the band. He was also disagreeing whereas the other band members would go with the flow and let Ed do whatever he wanted.

When Dave appeared on the cover of Modern Drummer, apparently Ed defaced a picture and drew a mustache on it. He thought Dave's "rock god" image was bad for Pearl Jam's anti-corporate stances.

The band, and more importantly Vedder, didn't want Abbruzzese to continue in the band and instead chose to replace him with close friend Jack Irons.

Another possibility was Dave's tendonitis. It caused him to sit out portions of shows during the 93' tour. The band had to improvise on stage and play songs without drums or use the opening band's drummer to finish songs. One example that comes to mind is November 20th, 1993 in Texas. Dave collapsed after "Alive" and the band played "Footsteps" and "Yellow Ledbetter'" minus the drums. Opening band Urge Overkill's drummer was called on to sit in for the encore of "Rockin' In the Free World."

Yes, he is a great drummer.
Yes, he was perfect for pearl jam...
but i dont think they mind, they have matt cameron now which is one
of the most brilliant drummers to date IMO (o:

Dave Abbruzzese ??

dave abbruzzese is the man! he is the main reason i play today! ... but where the **** is he?!!.. the free association record site is way out of date. the last entry was in 2001!! and the "dave abbruzzese fan page" is no help either. he seemed to be going strong and BOOM, fell of the face of the earth. i hope he is just taking some time to make a good comeback. if anyone has heard anything new, please let me-us know! ...and as for the better pj drummers, dave K,hes good, matt cameron, very talented and tastefull, dave A, very talented and noticeable, jack I, pifshh, whatever, and matt chambelin, very talented but wasnt in the band long enough. payce...

adamdude said:
Matt chamberlain left because he was offered a place in the band critters buggin (as if you wood, have u ever heard of em?)

This is not true. (And by the way, Matt Chamberlain is by far the best Pearl Jam drummer).

He left Pearl Jam; 1- because he was just filling in for a fired drummer, and more importantly 2- he was the Saturday Night Live drummer for that season.

He then came back to Seattle and FORMED Critters Buggin', his own project (who still play today).

He played on the Wallflowers hit record, Macy Gray, Elton John, David Bowie, Garbage, Eddie Brickell, Peter Gabriel, Natalie Merchant, Tori Amos (live and studio), John Mayer, Faith Hill, Sara Evans, Keith Urban, Christina Aguillera to name a few. I see at least 10 top 10 albums he recorded, so leaving Pearl Jam seems like it worked out pretty well.

For those looking for Vids heres Pearl Jam at pink pop concert in 92 clickhere to watch

Right now thats that out of the way I really like this guy I love his playing and I like the fact that he refused to use a double pedal to instead concentrate on playing the best he could with a single pedal and that he was a hard hitter. I think his drumming on the two pearl jam albums is great My favourite would be Immortality Although my favourite PJ album is yield. Oh and I like his use of splash cymbals

Last edited:
Dave Abbruzzese is By Far Then Best Rock Drummer Pearl Jam Have Had The Ten album Drum aRe Good but If You Listren To Dave's Take On "Even flow" and "State Of Love Trust" There Amzing best Drumming To Date

Dave Abbruzzese is By Far Then Best Rock Drummer Pearl Jam Have Had The Ten album Drum aRe Good but If You Listren To Dave's Take On "Even flow" and "State Of Love Trust" There Amzing best Drumming To Date

Dave kersen was on the ten album and evenflow unless your talking about the evenflow which they rerecorded with Abbruzzese on the drums

I think Dave A. was always at odds with Ed Vedder regarding all issues in the band. He was also disagreeing whereas the other band members would go with the flow and let Ed do whatever he wanted.

When Dave appeared on the cover of Modern Drummer, apparently Ed defaced a picture and drew a mustache on it. He thought Dave's "rock god" image was bad for Pearl Jam's anti-corporate stances.

The band, and more importantly Vedder, didn't want Abbruzzese to continue in the band and instead chose to replace him with close friend Jack Irons.
i've heard something similar as well. i remember when PJ was nominated for a Grammy for "Ten". Dave A. was the only member of the band to show up and he wasn't even on the album.

this must be pretty funny to him if he is reading all this speculation.

I just found this thread and i must chime in on the praise for Dave`s playing.
He is an awsome player, just watch the Pearl Jam unplugged, i think Eddie thought Dave stole to much of the spotlight.
Dave aparently has his own label and recording studio in Austin TX.
He suffers from carpal tunnel syndrome, but he still play drums.
I have not heard any of his work with green romance orchestra or hairy apes.
It would be fun indeed if Dave read this thread and gave us an update.

Pearl Jam is probably the reason that I play music today. I remember everything about hearing that band for the first time. Everybody always remembers Ten, and of course, so do I. But when I heard Abbruzzese playing with the band, I realized that a great band had gotten even more interesting. I love his playing. His cymbal work is impecable with the songs. I actually prefer Vs. and Vitalogy to Ten, even though I love Ten as well. When critics talk about PJ, they most often site Vitalogy as the master work of the band to date. All of the PJ drummers have been good. Of course, Matt C. is a monster player. Dave Krusen had the luxury of playing on the Ten album. Jack Irons got it done, and I thought his drum sounds really fit with what the band was doing at the time. And Matt Cameron? Well, Matt is a great rock drummer with time, feel, and writing prowess that we should all be so lucky to acheive in rock drumming. Oh, and he sings harmonies while doing it. But when all is said and done, Dave A. is my man with PJ. Watch the MTV Unplugged show. Incredible. A great story about Dave is that when he was tracking "Rearview Mirror" for the Vs. album, he was having some trouble with the coda. When he finally completed the track, he threw his drumsticks against the wall, punched his snare drum, and threw it outside. If you listen closely at the end of the song, you can hear Dave's sticks clank as they hit the wall and then the floor. I always thought that was cool. Even the best drummers have trouble sometimes. Great drummer! PS-I'll look for the article about the Rearview Mirror track.

Obviously he was in the band during their prime so it is no surprise to me that people hail his influence on them. Personally though, I always thought his groove was a bit too slippery per se and I felt like a lot of what he did was a bit much for Pearl Jam. I wouldn't call it over playing per se, not necessary. Especially his splashing away at the cymbals and his ride/hat combination performances. It really just comes down to his feel though.

Matt Chamberlain, though only in the Alive video, was the PJ drummer for me and Dave A. has him to thank for his career.

To shed a little light, Dave KRUSEN, left PJ to go to deto for alcohol and substance abuse problems, and left right after they recorded Ten in August. he did not tour the album. I also agree he was a great fit for PJ and his drumming on there was superb. BTW for all the gearheads he had a minimal kit for the recording of Ten - some basic Swingstar Tama's, an old supra, and even cracked entry-level Paiste 404 hats!

http://vater.com/vaternews/post/In-The-Studio-Dave-Krusen-Looking-back-at-Pearl-Jam's-"Ten".aspx

I also love Abruzzesse's drumming/style for PJ. I read a biography on Vedder and basically he and Eddie did not get along. Dave A wanted to party and celebrate their new-found success and Vedder wanted to shy away from all that and the 'business'. It had nothing to do with music, Vedder fired him.

PJ have had 4 great drummers, but the 1st two Dave's were my faves too.

To shed a little light, Dave KRUSEN, left PJ to go to deto for alcohol and substance abuse problems, and left right after they recorded Ten in August. he did not tour the album. I also agree he was a great fit for PJ and his drumming on there was superb. BTW for all the gearheads he had a minimal kit for the recording of Ten - some basic Swingstar Tama's, an old supra, and even cracked entry-level Paiste 404 hats!

http://vater.com/vaternews/post/In-The-Studio-Dave-Krusen-Looking-back-at-Pearl-Jam's-"Ten".aspx

I also love Abruzzesse's drumming/style for PJ. I read a biography on Vedder and basically he and Eddie did not get along. Dave A wanted to party and celebrate their new-found success and Vedder wanted to shy away from all that and the 'business'. It had nothing to do with music, Vedder fired him.

PJ have had 4 great drummers, but the 1st two Dave's were my faves too.

love Krusen as well

his playing on the Unified Theory records is fantastic

I'm not sure how I ended up watching old Pearl Jam shows on yootoob and dailymotion, but it seems I needed to hear some angry young man music. ;-)

Dave A was (is) sure fun to watch and listen. As mentioned earlier, it could be argued that there was some overplaying, but heck ... it wasn't too bad.

For a somewhat comical view of the PJ drummer saga from the guys themselves, I stumbled across this as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9H2JJn98s

peace,
radman

Best years of Pearl Jam were with Abbruzzese. Watched a dvd with Cameron on drums with the "Matt Cam"--was downright boring. Feels like with Cameron they tend to rush the songs, especially Evenflow--he tends to play spot on the beat or ahead of it.

I like Cameron much better with Soundgarden, with PJ, not so much or not at all. Jack Irons was a good change up though.

Dave had THE FUNK. His cymbal accents and splashes made the band sound colorful.

Back