Korg BEATLAB METRONOME anyone???? Is Boss DB-60 better??

mabhz

I already posted another topic on the subject, but it seems like i was too wide on my questioning and people are not replying.

So, basically id like to know if anyone here uses the KORG BeatLab metronome.

Is it worth the high price??

What caught my attention was that it has some rudiments built in, so you can actually practice them with the right note figures playing on the metronome.

Im a real beginner, im having a very hard time getting used to my TD-6 built in metronome, so i though i could benefit from a better and more flexible and easy to use metronome.

I just would like to know if this specific metronome has features that would actually HELP a beginner student, or the opositte: these features are useful for an experienced player, and a waste of money for a beginner.

My second option is a Boss DB-60. Any comments comparing the two of them??

Last edited:
OH my God, nobody uses metronomes around here???

Como on, folks!!!

I cant belive there isnt a single forum user who doesnt uses this metronomes!!

Give people a chance to respond!

The Korg Beatlab is a great metronome. Backlit, rudiments onboard and programmable. In my opinion its far better than the DB60, but admittedly there are many features on the Beatlab that you wont use as a beginner.

DamoZyzygy, thanks for the reply!

Im sorry, but i already posted a similar thread weeks before and just like this one, nobody replied! I have a deal on both metronomes and i dont want to loose it.

Well, since nobody replied, i would like to ask your help ellaboratin a little bit more on your comments.

The BeatLab is a much more expensive metronome than the DB-60 (100U$ vs 60U$), at least on the places i can purchase from where i live (outside USA).

My biggest interest on the BeatLab is the built-in rudiments thing. I have the impression that it might help A LOT when practicing, specially if you are a beginner like me and have a hard time getting used to metronome, evening the stick beats, weaker left hand, etc, etc.

My main question is: the "added benefit" of the built in rudiments is really worth the extra-cash (im very short on cash now!) compared to the DB-60, or with a little bit more effort when practicing, the DB-60 could cope pretty well with my basic needs???

I mean, considering that im a begineer, have a Roland TD-6, no band, no cash, wouldnt the BeatLab be a bit over the top for me? Couldt the DB-60 cover my needs?

Do you know if any of the two has a built in "jazz swing ride pattern" to practice with? If the BeatLab has it and the DB-60 doesnt, thats definitely a purchase reason!

THANKS!!!

So, if you dont mind me asking again, id like to ask if the "basic" features of the BeatLab

My main question is: the "added benefit" of the built in rudiments is really worth the extra-cash ???

Having rudiments on board will help you if you are having trouble remembering them, but keep in mind that rudiment can (and should) be able to be played with the simplest of clicks. You shouldnt need to have the metronome cracnking out the sticking patterns for you, but if you needed the help, the Beatlab has them onboard.

Do you know if any of the two has a built in "jazz swing ride pattern" to practice with? If the BeatLab has it and the DB-60 doesnt, thats definitely a purchase reason!
They are both able to count triplet groupings, but again even having quarter-notes or 8th notes clicking away (all metronomes have this!) you should be able to keep the timing steady.

Remember, metronomes arent there to teach you how to play - There primary use is for timing.

Well, i agree with you, but i have the impression that my stickings arent "even", i mean, when i play the double part on paraddidles, for example, i have the impression that i accelerate. The same happens, i think, at the end of a group of fast alternate single strokes. I have the impression that my last stickings are doubled, instead of single.

I belive a metronome that can guide me in the detailed stickings of any exercise might help me be more accurate and identify some inconsistencies. Im i wrong?

The same applies to jazz ride swing patters. Im having a hard time with exercises that include various snare patterns into the ride/hi-hat jazz basic swing patter. If i got a metronome "singing" the correct and even ride pattern, i belive it would be easier.

They can put out a simple triplet feel or the correct jazz swing triplet feel??

Geeez, folks, please! Help me out here!

I think it's probably a good idea to post a photo of the items when asking these questions. I'll know it when I see it but wont bother having to do a search in order to answer a post.

I don't even know what metronome I use. It's got a white button and goes beep.

Back