my sonor designer

thanks guys,

man these things aren't bricks, they are HOUSES! it's true, it's heavy stuff to carry around. worst thing about all this, i have to carry them up and down a set of stupid stairs at least once a week! good thing is, it saves me a lot of gym-money.

Omni-Tune lugs tune both heads. Tama used to use them, and are starting to again. The famous Gladstone snare drum did too, but I don't think Sonor use them.

I play sonor and i love them too. My next kit will prob be a desighner or dare i say SQ2. Money though man those SQ2 are deer. It showed me in AUD as well. Gulp. I was about 98% sure Sonor didn't have omin-tune lugs but i thought that they may have just brought them in or sumthing. But hand lugs thats cool. Is it like that on the toms too? I think i would rather the old way using a key though. 1/4 turn with a key is easy, do an exact 90 degree with ur wrist.

hey Latin Groover

nope, the hand lugs are only on the bassdrum. i got to check out that SQ2 kit! i've been hearing a lot of good things about them. and man, the sonor designer X-RAY.... damn that's yummy stuff!!!

i disagree with you there, if you ever see a designer somewhere, just try to turn those hand lugs. it IS very easy and precise, at least as precise as turning with a key IMHO. all designer lugs (toms, snare, bassdrum) are equipped with a tune-safe-system. once you got the sound you want, the designer keeps it that way, it's really easy to tune the kit like that. i'd say, try it out somehwere if you see one!

take care

Wim Coppers said:
i disagree with you there, if you ever see a designer somewhere, just try to turn those hand lugs. it IS very easy and precise, at least as precise as turning with a key IMHO. all designer lugs (toms, snare, bassdrum) are equipped with a tune-safe-system. once you got the sound you want, the designer keeps it that way, it's really easy to tune the kit like that. i'd say, try it out somehwere if you see one!

take care

So with each minute turn does it click or do u feel a sort of click, cause yea actually i agree that would be quicker and eaiser. Just count the clicks.

Latin Groover said:
hmmm. I still have my accurecy doubts

Doubts Smoubts. The accuracy is there. And even more so with the tune safe. How many kits have you owned with wing bolts for the tension rods on the bass drum? Well it's the same thing only you don't have those big bulky wings pointing every which way. This is just a neater way of having the bass drum look cleaner. And if you haven't noticed. Everything on these drums is designed to mimmic the Sonor Logo. The lugs, bass drum spurs, bass drum tension bolts. Go ahead, take a look. It's all about the mallets..........

Sonor Drummer said:
Doubts Smoubts. The accuracy is there. And even more so with the tune safe. How many kits have you owned with wing bolts for the tension rods on the bass drum? Well it's the same thing only you don't have those big bulky wings pointing every which way. This is just a neater way of having the bass drum look cleaner. And if you haven't noticed. Everything on these drums is designed to mimmic the Sonor Logo. The lugs, bass drum spurs, bass drum tension bolts. Go ahead, take a look. It's all about the mallets..........

Yea i already knew that. I also am a sonor drummer. But the idea that i have in my head about these lugs must be very different cause u say its great. If they where wingnuts on the end i get that thats great, deosnt look to great but you can tell if ur turning it 90 degrees etc. With circles you cant tell, unless they had a click which they dont. But im must be missing sumthing cause otherwise i would understand. Oh well ill just have to drag myself to go and play one at my local drum shop. What a chore.

Latin Groover said:
Yea i already knew that. I also am a sonor drummer. But the idea that i have in my head about these lugs must be very different cause u say its great. If they where wingnuts on the end i get that thats great, deosnt look to great but you can tell if ur turning it 90 degrees etc. With circles you cant tell, unless they had a click which they dont. But im must be missing sumthing cause otherwise i would understand. Oh well ill just have to drag myself to go and play one at my local drum shop. What a chore.

I seriously doubt it would be a chore my friend. As far as being able to tell how far you've turned the knob, C'mon.......You can't tell if you turned something a quarter, half, three quarters, or a full revolution. Myself, I use a drum dial at first to get everything close to where it needs to be, then I "tweak" by ear.And The knobs on the bass drum really are very nice to work with. Much easier then a wing or a key.
Be careful when going to check out a Designer kit..................Bring a checkbook. You'll be hooked!!!!!!

I was sort of joking back there. I want to get either a Designer or a SQ2 for my next kit, but the $$$. So ill prob get a delite or desinger . I just luv sonor.

i didn't hear a SQ2 so far, but they look great. it's going to be hard to sound better than a designer. i'm curious if they do!

i played some delites myself, and they are good solid kits, you can't go wrong with them. hell, even the S class pro are really decent drums.

sonor, one of the good german things!

Every time I see a Sonor designers drum set my reaction is:'' OH MY GOOD!!!!!''

I had a chance to play a designers set once and it was absoultely the best I've ever played/heared, I thought I was dead and in heaven.

Back