Tascam and Pro tools

synergy

Does anyone know if the files that the tascam type recorders make can be used by the recording software.

I wanted to record different instruments individually and then mix them together like you would when you record them as tracks.

Any ideas?

Nothing? no help?

Anyone out there know if recorded file from a tascam can be used in computer software programs like protools or garage band?

From a Tascam what? Obviously I think you're talking about one of their multi-track recorders that records to a card of some kind, but it might be model dependent.

ProTools right now apparently will not allow files from other makes to interface with their software. Although someone has told me that will start with ProTools 9. But with my Zoom R16 flash card recorder, I can dump those .wav files into GarageBand and manipulate them in there - which means that would work for everything except ProTools at the moment. The Zoom also acts as a USB audio interface for my mac too, very cool. And it will also go the other way, the mac can play into the zoom and the zoom becomes a control surface for the stereo mixdown.

You can always play the tracks through the outputs of the Tascam multi-track recorder, either as a stereo mix or 2 tracks at a time, and input them to whatever ProTools AD converter you're using. I've done this with old sessions from when I had a tape 4-track and a DA-88. Simple to do.

Thanks for the reply Bo,

I'm not sure of the model as our guitarist just picked one up on Black Friday.

I dont have any of the mentioned programs- I just know they are the most well known.

I wanted to record all the instruments seperately etc and then put all the files into the program and make a song like you would in a normal studio where you record in tracks

Just didnt know if this was compatible with any of the programs

Thanks for the reply Bo,

I'm not sure of the model as our guitarist just picked one up on Black Friday.

I dont have any of the mentioned programs- I just know they are the most well known.

I wanted to record all the instruments separately etc and then put all the files into the program and make a song like you would in a normal studio where you record in tracks

Just didnt know if this was compatible with any of the programs

Well, getting them into the computer is one way of working. But I would think the Tascam is a stand-alone recorder, yes? If you can record up to two tracks at a time, there's recording separately for you. Then when all the tracks are in, the Tascam will mixdown to stereo, and then you're done.

I love the fact that you can record into your computer, but sometimes I think people are convinced that they have to record into the computer in order to get anything done! It doesn't have to be the only way to record. In fact it wasn't for many years!

If you couldnt tell from my posts- my recording knowledge is next to zero!!

THanks for the replies- we mostly got it to set up at practice etc, even maybe at gigs to get some imput back afterwards.

My band is pretty busy outside of the band so I just had a thought of each of us taking the unit at some point and recording our own parts and then joining them back together as one.

I just didnt know if it was possible- I didnt want to do load of research of software etc when the unit couldnt do the thing I was talking about.

Thanks for your imput again

Back