Dom Famularo

Hi Henry,

I take back what I said. I was just bothered by them.

I appreciate your maturity in the response. This forum is very mature and professional :)

Not to mention this is the best drum site on the net (everyone knows)

Never saw anyone play the drumset like him. He's the most inspiring, emotion inducing drummer I ever seen. It's like movie to watch him.

I consider myself bessed to be able to take lessons with him about once a month, and I have for almost two years now. If you ever get the chance to book even one lesson with him, I cannot recommend him highly enough. I have definitely learned more with him than any number of other teachers I have ever been with. Carbonatet blood is a very apt description, I think :) FD

I like Dom; don't get me wrong. It just took me a little while to get used to him. I like the comment above referring to him as 'very American' although it's not totally accurate. We've had some pretty wild drummers in our time. The two craziest, Bonzo and Moon... that said Dom is up there... really nice guy, just took me a while to adjust to.

I like his ride cymbal placement, can anyone explain the logic to me please? I've seen a ride positioned like that before when I went to a jazz gig about 2 years ago, it seemed rather interesting, but I don't see how it could work.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I stand corrected, on closer analysis it appears to be a china. Same question though....

Last edited by a moderator:
mediocrefunkybeat said:
I like his ride cymbal placement, can anyone explain the logic to me please? I've seen a ride positioned like that before when I went to a jazz gig about 2 years ago, it seemed rather interesting, but I don't see how it could work.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I stand corrected, on closer analysis it appears to be a china. Same question though....

logic: when drums and cymbals are more flat...gravity works against you! when your strokes are moving horizontally though, gravity doesn't mess with your strokes. Of course, I completely ignore this fact in playing my own kit because, well, its so expensive to actually mount all your drums on a vertical plane and get that chair that leans you way back etc etc

but also, the position is really good for finger control...

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite drummers on the planet! Not only is he a nice guy (I got to meet him) but he's a monster player. I love his spirit as well as his motivating persona.

His playing is awesome and in my opinion quite unique. Most people are turned onto his speed and power but I actually dig his phrasing around the kit and his groove. He did an awesome job with the TCU big band on the Larrie Londin tribute video. He's just a monster player and such an inspiration to all drummers.

I think he is one of the greatest inspirations to the drum community. A man with an incredible gift and talent

I have one criticism- all of his rythms in the Vic Firth Cyberlessons sound REALLY similar, almost the same- perhaps this was his purpose?

I love the Jim chapin one, Dom continually tries to keep jim from talking too long and going off-topic, its hilarious to watch.

Its good to see a little spice in terms of drum-video personality, even if it is a little overboard. He taught me traditional grip, i am very grateful.

Re: DOM FAMULARO

I met Dom in Vancouver at the 2002 Drum Festival at TomLee music. I was volunteering at the time and also met Kenny Aronoff, Mike Mangini, Curt Bisquerra and the great Billy Cobham. I helped tech and rough tune Curt and Billy's kits. I talked with Dom and Mike a bit and caught Dom's master class. It was a great experience.

He has some pretty great Buddy Rich stories. "It was incredible!" quote-unquote.

what a legend. his cyber lessons are great and if i ever got the chance i'd have a real lesson with him. he seems like such a nice guy!

He's by far the best teacher I've ever had. As a long-time player and working drummer, I felt that my playing was in a rut. I started with him last September and was amazed at the level of instruction he provided. He even videotapes every lesson and gives you a copy!

He took me apart, cleaned up my fulcrum and grip and got my free and Moeller strokes going at a whole new level. My groove playing is more solid. My chops are smooth. The level of freedom that his direction has given me is just amazing and I have just started with him!

If you can get to him even once a month you will be glad u did. Truly a monster player and possibly the best drum instructor anywhere.

I met him at a clinic in Vancouver not long ago before xmas. I think his greatest asset is his motivational techniques. Obviously he's an awesome clinician but his personality is so humble.
I noticed that he was just the type of person you could talk to, he gave off a welcoming vibe he would never turn anyone away.

BIGGEST SMILE I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I met him at the Vancouver Drum festival. I was playing some funk grooves while all these people were bashing away on cymbals and double bass. He comes and stands in front of me with a big smile and started to bob his head. Very very nice guy and an awesome drummer and teacher.

the man's a beast full stop! brilliant!

I love Dom's passion, charisma, and spirit. He's like an elementary school principal that can tear up a set of drums.

Between his massive inspiration, teaching, clinics and playing, I think he's made more of a difference than any drummer

Hi members
Just received this flyer from DOM. He also gives a link to the drummerworld-report. So please, make your votes at Modern Drummer!!

Thank you Dom

Bernhard

domlatest.gif

aPhoto intro.jpg

Hello*Everyone ~*****
Can you believe it is that time again...

Modern Drummers Readers Poll is going again. Voting is going on until* March 15, 2006.
Make Sure Your Voice Gets Counted! Go to ModernDrummer.com*and VOTE! There is a Prize Drawing too!

readerspoll06_art.gif

Dom is traveling more than ever! In February and March he will be in England, Mexico, Germany, South Africa and Italy. Check out his web site for more details!
Here is a great article about Dom... Check it out!
http://www.drummerworld.com/reports/Dom_Famularo.html
At the bottom of the interview there is some great video from Australia's Drum Tek. It is footage from The Ultimate Drummers Weekend
Have you read Dom's Book The Cycle of Self Empowerment? **
Buy it today at Dom's Online Store!
If you like the book....****
Have Dom come to your business, school, or group to do a
*Cycle of Self Empowerment Seminar!
*While traveling the world playing drums, Dom has become well known for his ability to inspire and move audiences with his stories, concepts, and life experiences. People from around the globe have come to him not only for his musical expertise, but for advice on pursuing their dreams and building their careers. Over the course of 20 years of traveling and teaching, Dom developed The Cycle of Self-Empowerment TM, which embodies his personal philosophy of goal achievement and quality of life. He has gone on to present seminars to companies within the percussion industry, groups of music educators, and other corporations - combining the passion of art with the fire of motivational speaking with astounding results!***
If you would like to organize a seminar email us at: [email protected]

Also Check out Dom at:
www.DomFamularo.com
www.Sabian.com
www.VicFirth.com
www.Mapexdrums.com
www.Remo.com

Back