My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

F

fusssion

Hi everyone, …well, ….I'm going to start this with the basics, and some BEFORE pictures to get you all going and whet the appetite :D

I now own the following:

-6.5x10 granitone concert tom (to be concerted to dh) must get parts

-9x13 granitone concert tom (to be converted to dh) I have all parts

-14x16 granitone concert tom (to be converted to dh) I have all parts

-14x16 clear 3ply double headed tom (no, not a floor tom, a double headed small classic lugged factory pointed b/o badged double headed tom!! ....with .....a CLIP MOUNT! :) )

-10x15 1969 clear 3ply 'Challenger' snare drum: All original, …for now!

WAITING ON:
14x24 clear 3 ply kick ...oh yeah....VIRGIN! I just have to hook up w/ the guy...we live about an hour apart so, it's been tough.

I will be recovering these (they are a mix of Silver Sparkle, Mahogany Cortex, and Black Cortex) in Red Sparkle (thin stuff found on eBay). Our fellow DW member Karl Crafton is doing a similar project w/ one of his own kits with this stuff, (he got Silver Sparkle) and he says it's pretty dang easy, and it looks great!

Now that you know what I'm planning ….here are a few before pictures. For now, these are just the shells, minus the big Challenger snare. I'll add those pics soon, but here are the shells!
Enjoy …the fun part will start soon!

Attachments

• Ludwig16t.JPG
    Ludwig16t.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,039
  • Ludwig16t.inside.JPG
    Ludwig16t.inside.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,986
  • Ludwigtoms.JPG
    Ludwigtoms.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 3,035
  • Ludwigtomsinside1.JPG
    Ludwigtomsinside1.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 3,072
  • Ludwigtomsinside2.JPG
    Ludwigtomsinside2.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 4,991
If I have assumed correctly, the Granitone drums are made from.... granite??
I want to see that kit set up!!

If I have assumed correctly, the Granitone drums are made from.... granite??
I want to see that kit set up!!

LOL, nope, it's the internal speckled spray Ludwig used from (LVDC, help here if I botch this ... 1973-4-5 ??)
My bass will be clear 3 ply, and the snare is as well. And...obviously, the second 14x16 is as well!

You'll have to be patient,...it's going to take a while, but I'll keep updating this post as it happens! It should be sweet!

Looks like fun and will be real rewarding when you finish. a little blood, sweat and tears for your own project. and thanks for spelling WHET correctly.

Just wanted to share a quick shot of my 10x15 Challenger snare, 1969, keystone badge, clear 3 ply !! Ohhh soooo PPHHHHAT !!! :)

Attachments

• LudwigRS10.15snare.JPG
    LudwigRS10.15snare.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 2,897
Nice snare there. Bet that sounds phat.

For sure, but oddly enough ....I can tighten both the batter and reso, ....and I can get a pretty mean crack out of it too!! It's WAY more versatile than I originally though it would be! :)

The final piece of the puzzle!!! YES ....
Transition era (from 60's to 70's stuff) 1969 14x22 virgin kick! White interior, ... 60's spurs, but a pointed b/o badge! COOL!

I KNOW, I KNOW ...my original note said it was a 24, but ....I could never get with the guy, and then I realized ....if I get a 24, I'll have to adjust my toms (because I've never played a 24, always a 22), THEN I remembered, ...I'll have to get a new front bass drum head from Jim at DrumArt to the tune of $110, ....so...when this baby come up,...I snagged her! :)

Covering is ordered and on the way ...now I can get down to business! :)

Anyhow ...here's a few pics.....

Attachments

• ludwig22.e.jpg
    ludwig22.e.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2,637
  • ludwig22.d.jpg
    ludwig22.d.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,637
  • ludwig22.c.jpg
    ludwig22.c.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,743
  • Ludwig22.a.jpg
    Ludwig22.a.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,702
  • ludwig22.b.jpg
    ludwig22.b.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2,651
Jeff - great project, man! I've thought about piecing together an older 3-ply Lud kit myself, I really miss that Ludwig tone.

So, a few questions:

- On the concert toms, how will you accurately re-create the classic, rounded Ludwig bearing edges on the reso side?

- Does granitone change the tone enough to make a difference when mixing them with toms that have a clear interior?

- Are you wearing proper protection (i.e. a 'cup') when playing that snare? That thing looks *dangerous*!

Jeff - great project, man! I've thought about piecing together an older 3-ply Lud kit myself, I really miss that Ludwig tone.
Gonna be fun for sure!!!

So, a few questions:

- On the concert toms, how will you accurately re-create the classic, rounded Ludwig bearing edges on the reso side?
Ludwig toms /shells came w/ bearing edges on both sides....nothing needed to be done :)

- Does granitone change the tone enough to make a difference when mixing them with toms that have a clear interior?
Negligable at best ...I've asked around .....

- Are you wearing proper protection (i.e. a 'cup') when playing that snare? That thing looks *dangerous*!
Hell yes,...a TITANIUM CUP! :)

But ........maybe I should go with Gauger RIMS w/ this mount?? This way, no 'additional' holes!!

Thoughts ??

I like to start with the RIMS mounts and see if they work out to your liking. If you don't like it, then go ahead and mount directly to the shell. Once you drill you can never go back. Another thing I like about the RIMS mounts, is you can always move your tom so the badge faces out. Normally I run 3 up, but on this last gig, I ran 2 up,and was able to rotate the RIMS mounts. Here's a pic. It might even give you an idea of how much room you'll have on the lugs, with your shallower 10" tom. This tom is 8x10.

Attachments

• 3529136849_535ba6d09b.jpg
    3529136849_535ba6d09b.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 2,394
Thanks guys ....

WOW,....that's expensive for the RIMS!! Jeeeze!

I'm already looking at $140 for hardware alone for mounts on this kit, + another $140-ish!
I just didn't plan on that. Got to think it over.

Greg, love the look and yes, ....once you drill you're done, and ...you can rotate so the badge is facing out, that's good too.

I'll go w/ the half plate if anything ....this way you can see more of the drum....

Still kicking it around.

ANOTHER QUESTION ALL .....

Before I get too antsy......PLEASE HELP!! :)

What is the best way to ENSURE I do a good job at lining up the new holes I need to drill for my drums. Remember, this is a concert tom conversion ...so I need to drill bottom holes for 3 drums.

Now, ...please ...no one be mean and type a smart a$$ answer, please help me do this right so I don't "jump the gun" ...

THANKS!!!!!!!

Hey, it's me in new form. Having a name the same as my business was a bad idea, as google hits lead people to all my posts.

Yes to your question, the soap and water delays it, and it WILL stick after. In fact it will seal much better, and smoothly. ALSO, do it with someone else, or you'll regret it. Get one person to roll it (against a wall or something so it goes straight), and one to squeegee it on as it rolls.

Good luck!

Back