Moongel vs dampening rings

+1.............I had some old ones, washed them with soap and water..........let dry and they worked like new. As to losing them, I always place my "extras" inside my cowbell..............they stay fine, I always know where they are and I can grab them quickly if I need to.

You just reminded me...I have a couple in my cowbell! I thought the same and then forgot I put them there. Doof.

.... My buddy said he's seen people use weather stripping. Not sure though.

I use weather stripping for toms - probably like most people use moon gel. Never tried the moon gel myself. I use studio rings for snares.

Weather stripping is pretty inexpensive, comes in a rolled up strip, can be bought in different widths and thicknesses, can be cut to size, and has a paper protected adhesive applied to one side.

Not sure how well it would work for someone who gigs and moves their drums around a lot. It sticks good, but tends to loosen up after a while. It doesn't leave a lot of residue when you take it off either. Also works on cymbals.

I just got a few bad batches of moon gel. All stuck together. We finally got them apart and washed them but they are not sticking. Does anyone know something that works like mg? My buddy said he's seen people use weather stripping. Not sure though.

there was a post a while ago about a cheap moongel alternative. Use those sticky things that stick to windows. you can get the at a dollar store, usually letters or shapes. my kids stick stuff like that to our sliding glass door.

I just got a few bad batches of moon gel. All stuck together. We finally got them apart and washed them but they are not sticking. Does anyone know something that works like mg? My buddy said he's seen people use weather stripping. Not sure though.

there was a post a while ago about a cheap moongel alternative. Use those sticky things that stick to windows. you can get the at a dollar store, usually letters or shapes. my kids stick stuff like that to our sliding glass door. My moongel is all stuck together in the container, I thought that was just how it was? it is a real pain to pull apart!!!

there was a post a while ago about a cheap moongel alternative. Use those sticky things that stick to windows. you can get the at a dollar store, usually letters or shapes. my kids stick stuff like that to our sliding glass door.

After reading that post a while back, I took a trip to the local dollar store, but couldn't find anything like it there. Maybe it's a regional thing.

After reading that post a while back, I took a trip to the local dollar store, but couldn't find anything like it there. Maybe it's a regional thing.

maybe, they should be available at most department type stores, honestly I don't know where to get them but I have seen them.

Ever consider Gaffers tape?

Pretty economical. You can move it around to dial in desired control. Reusable.
Won't fall off your heads when transporting. Won't leave residue.

I bought a roll in white to blend in.

Still use the control rings on the 16" floor in the studio though.

Used weather stripping to insulate studio door against noise.

Last edited:
Can anybody remember the black rounded moongel that existed a few years back? Can't remember who made them...

I still haven't formed any conclusions on the Gel versus ring debate. I can see Moongel being advantageous when you want to control and shape overtones on the fly, though I think proper head selection and tuning is a better long-term fix. I'd rather address the problem than its symptoms.

For dampening/volume reduction, I picked up an 8-pack of automotive towels that I toss over the drums. The only ring I use now is one of the easily-removable foam ring dampeners on my BD batter side.

I still haven't formed any conclusions on the Gel versus ring debate. I can see Moongel being advantageous when you want to control and shape overtones on the fly, though I think proper head selection and tuning is a better long-term fix. I'd rather address the problem than its symptoms.

For dampening/volume reduction, I picked up an 8-pack of automotive towels that I toss over the drums. The only ring I use now is one of the easily-removable foam ring dampeners on my BD batter side.

In a perfect world you never need anything. But when you're gigging different rooms all the time there are rooms that need moon gel. I play one room where the only carpet in the place is under my drums and the place is the worst sounding accoustic environment possibly in the entire world. Like it could be guiness book worthy. I certainly dont prefer to put anything in or on my drums, but there are some rooms that just arent going to cooperate with you. I've also yet to get in a studio where the guy isnt asking me to dampen something. If I gotta choose (And sometimes I do) I'm going with a moon gel to get it overwith.

The moon gels don't stick after a while and need to be replaced with new ones but I feel they are easier to dial in just the right amount of muffling by cutting them in half and thirds. Plus they look better than gaffers tape. If the rings are the right amount of muffling then you're all set.

They just need cleaned with a little warm water and dish soap

What are your pros and cons for moongel and dampening rings?

At first I used nothing, but I really needed some dampening (also caused by the room I played in), then I got myself moongels. At first they were great, I thought, but after some testing and a couple of months of playing I didn't like them anymore. They didn't stick anymore, they lost some of their absorbing abilities and they just looked nasty as well.

Then I got myself some new damp rings, and I have never been happier. Immediately I noticed a tremendous difference. They are, imo, easier to use, look nicer, and are more effective. (It's been a while since I played on my acoustic set, but I still remember what the transition was like.)

Some people might agree with me, some might not. That's why I made this topic.

Let the discussion begin.

Rings are just way too much muffling and tone killing. They have a tendency to buzz and they are largely not useful once they get the inevitable crease in one of them.

If I must muffle a particularly lively snare drum I would choose a half piece of the moon gel.

Back