About to get some mics

drumr_102

I'm about to start recording on my own and am gonna need some help.

Right now I'm thinking about getting the sennheiser e604s for my two toms, 12"x10" and 16"x14". I hear a lot of good things about these mics, but I'm wondering if my low tom will be too low end. It's pretty much tuned JAW and I couldn't find it being used for anything bigger than 14".

I'm about to start recording on my own and am gonna need some help.

Right now I'm thinking about getting the sennheiser e604s for my two toms, 12"x10" and 16"x14". I hear a lot of good things about these mics, but I'm wondering if my low tom will be too low end. It's pretty much tuned JAW and I couldn't find it being used for anything bigger than 14".

I used to use the 421's exclusively.

I moved to the e604's in 2002 and have never looked back. I use them exclusively for both live work and studio work on my toms. Easy to position, can take a whack when I'm getting sloppy or just playing in the moment and not fall apart, they set up fast, are very small, are cheap, and best of all - they just sound good.

I have 4 in my "stuff" case, I just bought a 5th for my 8" tom. I bring all my own mics to all my gigs. Sometimes we'll mic the toms (depending on the room or the board) - and when we do, I'll pull off the 57's or the Audix and always use my own mics.

I love them.

On my snare, I use an American Made 57. This thing is ancient, but just has the sound I dig. For my kick I use a Beta 92. For overheads I use SM82's.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the e604's. I love mine.

They're always on eBay. Hunt for a deal - never pay more than $129 landed. I scored all of mine for about $85 to $95 ea.

-Ken

Thanks. That's what I like to hear. Time to bid I suppose... Goodbye sweet money

That's actually the exact post I bought off of too. I got two of them and an audix d6 today and am thinking about getting the shure pg81s for condensers.

I'm using e604s on my Ludwig toms: 9x13, 16x16, and 16x18. I think they replicate the sound very well and have no issues with the mics.

I like them so well, I went with the e602 for my bass drum (internally mounted on a Kelly Shu).

I'm using 2x SM57s on my snare and 2x PG81s for overheads.

I really like this mix of heads and think they do very well for recording at home.

If you want to hear what they sound like in a recording, http://www.reverbnation.com/zombie13studio is where I post the stuff I've recorded.

Back