Favourite Female Vocalists

like to add , asides from my latest post, i forgot this women, my alltime favourite

anita o´day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agp2on83hrA

if you dont know about her. i would take the time to listen to various recording from the gene krupa "left me off uptown" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoSAPaThWJE (1941) to her early 60`s stuff (especially the concerts from japan & sweden) she didn´t had the best technique and range ( like ella) but her timing was flawless. Her sensitivity, swingin and improvisations was superb. so natural.

Last edited:
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
Sippy Wallace
Big Mama Thorton
Lydia Pence (Cold Blood)
Patsy Cline
Bonnie Raitt
Etta James
Andrews Sisters
Aretha Franklin
Janis Joplin
many many more.................Doc

Chrissie Hynde and Imelda May are probably my two favorites right now.

Geddy Lee is not a girl.... he just sound like one.

I know... it was a joke (I always forget the ":)").

I love Rush actually... It's just that "their music good, but singer sucks and sounds like a girl" is what I always hear from the haters.

I know... it was a joke (I always forget the ":)").

I love Rush actually... It's just that "their music good, but singer sucks and sounds like a girl" is what I always hear from the haters.

I know, I'm kidding too... I love Rush. (Tom Sawyer's my favourite)

While Angelica is quite pretty looking, I wouldn't like her to sing in my band :))

Angella Gossow; She sounds very appealing to................................cement? "you tell me"? I don't know I barely got by the "music" intro. There's always been wasted time in the studio, I'm guilty of that no doubt but whatever that was I just heard is so ridiculous it couldn't possible go beyond a 13 year olds mentality. Riffing double kick drum singles has to be the most boring thing to play, listen and record ever on a drum kit add in that click attack and I couldn't shut off fast enough. I hope its a goof by the girl and she has a beautifull voice but I have a feeling thats her "best" stuff hahahaha. Brutal! Doc

Geddy Lee is not a girl.... he just sound like one.

Angela Gossow is not a man.... she just sound like... well? ...you tell me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkc08_dR-0&feature=relmfu
In fact, Geddy is a way better singer than most female vocalists. Nothing wrong in my book.

Angela Gossow... is a woman who has mastered the fry/scream technique. (Basically everybody who cares can learn this.) Have you heard her normal voice?

Check out Sabrina Classen (with Holy Moses) - she has a fairly heavy voice also.

but I have a feeling thats her "best" stuff hahahaha. Brutal! Doc

Yes, Doc, it is, and that a soft one from her !!!! :))

My daughter showed a clip of her about 2 weeks ago, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, shocking!! (And they call that music!?!)

- Dusty Springfield - her albums always had great drummers, most notably around the early 70s, when she was recording in the USA with the Atlantic and Philadelphia rhythm sections and the likes of Carole Kaye was on bass.

- Imogen Heap (solo artist...but check her doing 'Blanket' and 'Rolling & Tumblin'' on Jeff Beck's '...Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD)

- Bonnie Bramlett during her Delaney & Bonnie days. Here she is with Sam Clayton (congas) and Kenney Gradney (bass) - both later of Little Feat - and drummer Chuck Morgan. Prior to this band drummers included Jim Keltner and Jim Gordon, and on the 'Home' album', Booker T & the MGs with Al Jackson Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klbW-cSZ5Ac

- Kate Bush...especially the earlier years

And all those chicks we've heard doing back-up vocals...Claudia Linnear, Merry Clayton (Sam's sister, best known for the sensational wailing on the Stone's 'Gimmer Shelter'), Vicki Brown, Sam Brown, Madeline Bell and Lesley Duncan (Dusty's go-to gals), Vannetta Fields, Clydie King, Patrice Holloway...So, so many, and each worthy of their own stardom.

Bjork
... and that chick from Rush.

That is funny but I think a few noses may be out of joint.

Still worth it. Like the time I added Phil Collins to a list of great drummers who are deceased. It was funny to me but not to everybody.

So here is something else not funny in a hijacked thread kind of way, My favorite female vocalist is anybody who is not that shrew from 10,000 Maniacs.

Favorite female singer? Only one?

Susan Tedeschi - great singer, great music too.

There are lots of female singers that I like but I would like to add a few that have particularly strong voices such as Jackson Brown's background singer - Rosemary Butler - on "Stay" (Running on Empty).

Of course Dame Bassey also comes to mind; especially "History Repeating" (Propellerheads. And Nina Hagen has such range.

GJS

Back