Bad feeback from mics/speaker.

Zoofie

Hey guys
I have a little home studio and sometimes want to amplify vocals etc if we are doing a rendition of a song. When i get the mics louder there is a really really bad screeching sound. The mixer output is going into a stereo system (no pro amp) , and i can't get the mics louder without a really loud screeching happening.
Sorry thats worded really badly but i hope you can undestand :)
Thanks!

An EQ would help, also make sure the mics are pointed 180 degrees away from the speakers, if possible. Reflective surfaces should be minimized, mic placement is crucial

Yea I guess I assumed non omnis. But I bet that's what he's got.

Try and see if you can isolate the mikes, by placing a screen in front of the mikes between them and the speakers- what happens with feeed back is the sound from the mike gets amplified and then is picked up again by the mikes and run around again and again, the high frequency gets doubled and doubled till you get feedback. I know of a guy who does home recording and he made a baricade in a corner of the room with a matress as a partition...the result, no, room ring, no feedback and nice clean damped vocals!
Speaker position is important also, as are quality- I have a pair od Mackie srm 450s and they have an inbuilt circuit that time delays the treble by millisecs and this cuts feedback a lot! Another way around is not the best as you can loose the feel of the song is add the vocals later!
Let me know how you solve this- I hope this helps a little for ideas mate-Good luck
H

Hey guys
I have a little home studio and sometimes want to amplify vocals etc if we are doing a rendition of a song. When i get the mics louder there is a really really bad screeching sound. The mixer output is going into a stereo system (no pro amp) , and i can't get the mics louder without a really loud screeching happening.
Sorry thats worded really badly but i hope you can undestand :)
Thanks!

honestly, it's going to be very hard to do with consumer gear. If you invest in just an inexpensive real PA, you'll be so much happier.

Back