my latest addition

A

Anthony Amodeo

this is my minty crisp 1960s Gretsch round badge 5.5x14 snare with micro sensitive strainer

this piece is all original (aside from the heads of course) all the way down to the Gretsch 42 strand snare wires

this means I only need one more piece....one Gretsch 60s flat based floor cymbal stand....to have my 1966 Gretsch round badge back to exactly as it would have come out of the catalog in 1966.

it took me a while to track down the L arm, hi hat stand, floor cymbal stand, snare stand , and floating action kick pedal......but i have found them all
(waiting on the floor stand...should be here in a few days)

anyway

I got this gorgeous mint snare drum from Chuck Scalia who is one of the most well respected vintage drum collectors in the USA.
look him up if you have not heard of him

dsc0001xi.jpg

dsc0002zsl.jpg

dsc0003ee.jpg

dsc0004jne.jpg

dsc0006vg.jpg

you can see a pic of the kit here from the day I bought it
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95527

pic to follow of her complete with all the Gretsch stands and snare

Last edited:
Dude, you gotta be sh**tin' me. That pristine thing of beauty is all original? My god, you could comb your hair in those hoops. Just stunning, man. Congrats!

Dude, you gotta be sh**tin' me. That pristine thing of beauty is all original? My god, you could comb your hair in those hoops. Just stunning, man. Congrats!

thank you brother

yup

completely original

Chuck Scalia is the absolute man

check out some of his stuff here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruS4fX5_rdA

check out the Tangerine Gresch in the vid.....thats my next purchase

The piece de resistance. The capstone. The cherry on top. The crown jewel. Way to go.

That is awesome! Quite the beauty! I'm wondering if you should put real calf skin top and bottom?

I hear you Bo

but those things respond to the weather way to much for me

and living in the north east where the climate changes a whole lot more than it does in So. Cal.......I'll stick with a good old Ambassador

That is such a classic!
It's beauty transcends time and technology.
I'd love to own one, but with my current kit, it wouldn't go. ;)
Congrats!

I hear you Bo

but those things respond to the weather way to much for me

and living in the north east where the climate changes a whole lot more than it does in So. Cal.......I'll stick with a good old Ambassador

Understood. I played a calf head once and fell in love with it, but even in SoCal in the fall or spring, it wreaks havoc still. This led me to actually try the Fiberskyn 3 for once, and I like the head enough I might try a whole set of them the next time around.

How does 42 strands effect the sound? Compared to say 20 stands and also when the snare is very tight or loose?

Understood. I played a calf head once and fell in love with it, but even in SoCal in the fall or spring, it wreaks havoc still. This led me to actually try the Fiberskyn 3 for once, and I like the head enough I might try a whole set of them the next time around.

have you ever tried the Aquarian Vintage line?

I never have ....just don't like Aquarian

but I have heard they are nice

How does 42 strands effect the sound? Compared to say 20 stands and also when the snare is very tight or loose?

there is not a huge difference

just a bit more "snarey"

it is nice for sensitivity and articulation for light jazz type playing

just more strands to respond.....thats all

Wow, great score! Congrats. I've played Fiberskyn heads for years and love them. I'd recommend playing a diplomat on the snare though. The weights of the Fiberskyns always seemed to be 1 off.

Wow, great score! Congrats. I've played Fiberskyn heads for years and love them. I'd recommend playing a diplomat on the snare though. The weights of the Fiberskyns always seemed to be 1 off.

I prefer an Ambassador

Can't wait to see pics of the complete kit.
1966 I was 11 years old and only knew about Ludwig and Japanese import kits.
Congrats!

Nice find, Your kit is awesome! I remember checking it out when you first posted about it.
Enjoy.

Back