steel snare heads?

Heads made of mylar.
Really, it depends what you like. One ply should bring out the brightness and pop. Two ply should tone it down bit and fatten it.

Heads made of mylar.
Really, it depends what you like. One ply should bring out the brightness and pop. Two ply should tone it down bit and fatten it.

what do you think about the power center reverse dot by evans?

thanks

Pretty in between sound. Lots of focus, usually sounds a little dead to me. There's a couple great comparison videos on youtube of different heads. What sound do you want?

Pretty in between sound. Lots of focus, usually sounds a little dead to me. There's a couple great comparison videos on youtube of different heads. What sound do you want?

i want crack, but not a lot of over ring........

Thanks

Evans Genera HD Dry or ST Dry. Been using them for a few years and they are the perfect mix for crack and little over tones.

Very bright tuned high, and dry of course, but tuned low it can be warm. I have them on 4 inch, 5 inch, 6.5 inch and 7 inch deep snares.

Evans Genera HD Dry or ST Dry. Been using them for a few years and they are the perfect mix for crack and little over tones.

I use the HD Dry on a 14" DW maple Collectors and 13x7 Tama Artwood. They really give you the crack and brightness, without over ring.

I can imagine just how they will do on a steel snare. The steels tend to need more tone control.

I use the HD Dry on a 14" DW maple Collectors and 13x7 Tama Artwood. They really give you the crack and brightness, without over ring.

I can imagine just how they will do on a steel snare. The steels tend to need more tone control.

what do you suggest?

thanks

I have pretty much always used coated ambassadors on steel snares and get a lot of compliments on them too. Have sometimes used a head with gentle dampening around the outside edge, using a Genera on my steel snare at the moment and it's great.

if you want crack and a little overtones, there are lots of heads you could use.

try a Remo Ambassador, and if you want less ring, put a dampening ring on the head.

I'm using the Power Center Reverse and I get a good bit of liveliness out of it, but then, my steel snare is very live. I also have used the frosted G-Plus, amazing, responsive head. The ST Drys are a bit too dead for my taste anymore, but they are a very nice head as well. I haven't disliked any Evans snare head I've tried.

Thats exactly what I use on my Phonics 14x6.5 seamless steel, the HD Dry. Nice loud pop and barely any overtones. The Power Center(PS3 w/dot equivalent) works, but too much ring for MY taste. It all depends on what youre ears want to hear, and what youre needs are.

what do you suggest?

thanks

It depends not only on your personal preference, but how your snare reacts.
The Genera HD Dry will definitely keep it bright, AND remove the overtones. My snares still have a little bit of a ring, which is what I prefer. I've also used the ST, which made it too dull and had more ring than I prefered.

Important point, I also have a Stewart Copeland COB Snare that came equiped with the Coated Remo Ambassadors. For some reason, that head just sings without much ring and no ugly overtones. It is 1.5 mm thick brass, has die cast batter hoop and triple flanged snare hoop. Tama claims this will allow you to crank it without choking.
...so a lot depends on the sound characterstics of your snare.
An HD dry I think would dry out my Copeland too much.

I think an HD Dry would work great on a steel drum that needs more control. Great heads if you don't want to mess with remo rings or moonjelly.

Last edited:
I have a little 13x6.5 steel and it sounds really nice with a remo controlled sound coated on it (remo cs coated) tuned up nice and high. With half a moongel about an inch in from the rim all the overtones are gone and it still has all the pop and crack.

Back