A guitarist on Drummerworld, ack! No, seriously, listen & weap.

Doesn't matter whether it's a bloke, girl, young, old, white, black, green or blue. This is just fretwankery...
I agree totally Eddie, but on this occasion, her age just adds to the impressiveness, & I'm convinced her gender holds those chops hormones in check. I doubt I've ever heard such superb phrasing & expression in someone so young, irrespective of instrument played.

Hey there Marches buddy! You going to the Jobeky Custom Drum Festival at the Stafford Showground on Sunday? A small show, but some great clinics, & only £10 to get in. I'll probably be hanging out at the Guru Drumworks stand, I'll be knackered though, straight from a big gig this Saturday night. Great drummy weekend!

Hey there Marches buddy! You going to the Jobeky Custom Drum Festival at the Stafford Showground on Sunday? A small show, but some great clinics, & only £10 to get in. I'll probably be hanging out at the Guru Drumworks stand, I'll be knackered though, straight from a big gig this Saturday night. Great drummy weekend!

I also have a gig Saturday night, could be fun provided the hangover isn't too brutal. Is it a tenner on the door? I might be able to get a lift down there. Do you know who will be there?

Jamie

While that video was playing, I sold my Renowns and K's, canceled my drum lessons, and bought a gibson. :p

Beautiful playing!

Meet you there Andy. That's if my current plans prevail.

While that video was playing, I sold my Renowns and K's, canceled my drum lessons, and bought a gibson. :p

Beautiful playing!
I know what you mean. Everything about that performance is stunning. What a talent! I'm not so sure about selling my drum gear, but it sure made me wonder if I should try playing guitar. That got right to my musical soul.

Guys, as for the Jobeky show: Jamie, http://www.jobekydrums.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemid=130. Great to see you there MFB. I'm not sure what time I'll be getting there due to a heavy Saturday night, but it'll be before lunchtime. Here's a photo of my ugly old ass mug from last years UK drum show so you stand some chance of finding me.

Attachments

• CIMG4402-Optimized-2.JPG
    CIMG4402-Optimized-2.JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't matter whether it's a bloke, girl, young, old, white, black, green or blue. This is just fretwankery...

Yup, dull music, for sure. This is the kind of thing talented young people do when they are finding out how far they can go - and also what older talented players do when they have great facility but not much into composition. Larry Carlton's solo work tends to smooth jazz wallpaper with mucho fretwankery, but his work with Steely Dan was fabulous.

Jess has loads of natural ability. It's a bit fanciful to predict anything based on one vid but I'll guess that she'll become a session player.

Yup, dull music, for sure.
Seriously? Pol, you find that kind of phrasing beauty & expression dull? I do normally take my music breakfast with a bit more grit, but this playing is wonderful. I'm not getting one bit of "session sterility". Quite the opposite, I'm getting passion for the instrument, & curtailing of chops.

Yep Andy, and I like lots of smooth music. It wasn't Jess's playing, the piece just lacked personality - or at least the kind of personality that does it for me.

The session player comment wasn't meant to imply sterility, just an observation. She seems to have the talent. Maybe it's the playalong? They may be good to play with, but geez they're dull for a listener ...

There are very few videos or sound tracks that I listen to in their entirety, but this one I did.

Dennis

There are very few videos or sound tracks that I listen to in their entirety, but this one I did.

Dennis
Dennis, I listen to this clip most days. It puts a smile on my face, & reminds me of why I play music. I get Pol's aversion to backing track playalongs, I'm not a fan either, but I close my ears to the background as I'm consumed by this girl's sound, expression & phrasing. Wonderful!

Back