Yamaha Bass Drum Sub-Woofer

Does anybody out there have any advice on the Yamaha BD Sub-Woofer? I play hip hop and I'm curious if anybody has any advice or experience with this thing? Any suggestions or advice would help! Thanks...Mike

All I know about it is that Teddy Campbell uses one, and the idea is that it supposed to make micing your bass drum a whole lot easier.

So it wouldn't add any boom to the mic?

It acts as a second mic...albeit a much lower freq. one to pick up very low freq. sounds and fill out and give a much fuller (i.e., bigger) bass drum sound. You would still use your reg. kick mic and also this one (i.e., it's not designed to be used as your only kick mic)....and yes it does work quite well!

Last edited:
It acts as a second mic...albeit a much lower freq. one to pick up very low freq. sounds and fill out and give a much fuller (i.e., bigger) bass drum sound. You would still use your reg. kick mic and also this one (i.e., it's not designed to be used as your only kick mic)....and yes it does work quite well!

That's what I was trying to say so un-eloquently.

Oh yeah and I've seen ?uestlove from The Roots using one as well. Not saying that's why you should or shouldn't get, but Campbell and ?uestlove both have great tone coming from their kits.

Ok yeah...I just bought a gretsch with a 20" by 20" bass that sounds like a cannon. So I really want that extra sub emopffff. I play some hip-hop on my kit so I feel that it would really help out

It's essentially just a big speaker plugged in backwards so it acts as a mic. Since it has a bigger membrane than standard mic's, it picks up much lower frequencies.
If you need it for recording purposes only, you can use any kind of big speaker or a switched off amp (it is an old studio trick), it will work just the same.

Ok. I think the obly true occasion I would use it is for a live setting because im in a band based around hip-hop.

Check it out:

Myspace.com/spokentruthny

I think some of the more groove based stuff would be complimented well with this sub.

Back