Is the Roland TD-9S worth buying? Or save up for the TD-12 or TD-20?

cherriebee

Is the TD-9 just as good as a TD-20? Is anyone really satisfied with their TD-9 or do they feel that it's just a starter model and that they will eventually end up buying a higher model. I don't want to feel that this drum is just 'good enough' I want to not think about buying another drum for several (if ever) years. I heard that some people think that the TD-9 is BETTER than the TD-20. Is that true? Are they almost on the same level?

Should I buy a TD-9 or save up for a TD-20?

Will I regret buying the TD-9 because its not good enough for a pro?

Did people who owned TD-9 end up buying a higher model?

Can a pro get everything they need out of a TD-9? What are the cons?

Last edited:
I heard that some people think that the TD-9 is BETTER than the TD-20. Is that true? Are they almost on the same level?

In general terms.......Not a prayer.........Not even close.

But as always, individual needs come into play. In short, you get what you pay for. The first question you need to ask yourself is, what is your intended purpose for this e-kit? If it's for nothing other than quiet practice at home the TD-9 will work a treat. If you're looking to record professionally (or even semi-professionally), then you'll need more.

Can you get to a drum store to check 'em out? If so, do it. Aside from the obvious (more drum pads, more cymbal pads, upgraded/larger pads, independant hi hats, mesh kick pad, bigger/more sturdy rack etc etc etc) the difference really comes to light with respect to the modules. The TD-20 is far superior in pretty much every way. There are more inputs/outputs, there are more available sounds....there is more of everything.

There's no doubt the TD-20 "is better" than the TD-9 in terms of available options.....but that doesn't necessarily make it a better all round choice for individual needs. As stated, figure out what purpose you want this e-kit to serve and then go from there. If it's just you bashing away in a bedroom and hoping to keep the noise down, the TD-9 will do that just fine. If you need a more professional set up, with all the 'bells and whistles' for recording etc, then look towards the TD-12 or TD-20.

Last edited:
IMO, the biggest "practical" difference in the two modules are # of inputs (i.e. physical drum surfaces to hit) and dynamics.

The 20 has quite a few advanced features that would really matter to a pro...but a TD-9 will serve MOST people just fine, unless you need more inputs.

Personally, I'm looking for a good deal (someday) on a TD12 module for this reason. Its much closer to the 20 than the 9.

Hi, I have a TD 9 and I think it is a very very good sound modul even for recording.

A very impressing thing on the TD 9 for me was, that i did not need the manual! It is so easy to use!!

I just saw, that Roland overworked the TD 9. The TD-9 K2 now has mesh heads on all drums and a better kick pad. And you can play music directly via the USB port. That's good.

All in all: I never had a lot interest in a TD 12 or 20 and never played with one, but i can highly recommend the TD-9

I currently have a TD9KX and must admit ive been impressed with it and pretty happy but i am now looking to upgrade, if you are seriously considering saving £5000 for an e-kit like the TD20, can i suggest you cut your price in half and save up for a new jobeky prestige/stealth e-kit and buy the 2box drumit 5 sound module for it (definately without any shadow of a doubt the best sound module available at the moment with 4GB worth of sounds where the TD9 module only has around 128MB or something).

You can get a 5 piece kit that looks like a real kit for around the same price as a TD9KX with included cymbals and stands etc (Roughly £1399) and the 2box drumit 5 sound module for around £800-£900 totalling £2500 max depending on where you get it all ofcourse, the module also gives you the opportunity to add some extra drums/cymbals in the future if you want to

Unfortunately, the range of sounds available from the TD9 is very limited, and although ive tweaked all the little in detail settings to make the kit i wanted on it, im still left a little dissapointed with the sounds i can get, not so much with the cymbals or bass drum but the snare and toms. Plus the sound module that comes with the TD9 is not compatible with some of the cymbals and drums that come with the TD20 if you ever want to upgrade.

After doing my research on the 2box drumit 5 module, its without question more than worth the price and the jobeky drum kit has the real look and feel to go with it! Plus your able to get your own sound files from your pc/mac and put them onto the 2box module and use them on your drums!

I'm planning on buying the TD-9 tomorrow. Primarily for home practice and playing small gigs. No professional recording or touring planned.

Back