Good Music with Shuffle Feels?

?uesto

Silver Member
What are some good artists or drummers to check out who have the shuffle down? I'm looking to get better at it, and I'm liking a lot of Blues and Blues-Rock bands like that.

So far, I've been heavy into The Allman Brothers, The Blues Brothers, (or anything else with Steve Jordan on it), and some Purdie stuff.

What else can you all recommend?

You should check out Stevie Ray, Government Mule, and some Gary Clark Jr. But Steve Jordon is awesome. I love his work with John Mayer, the live stuff is great.

I love the shuffle beat! My two cents.

Yep Steve Jordan is absolutely great to study. A true master! In addition, to the ones already mentioned, most every CD or DVD I have heard from Clapton has at least a few good songs with shuffle beats. And Clapton always seems to have a master drummer. Like, Steve Gadd. For example, listen to samples from "One More Car, One More Rider" for shuffles by Gadd.

If you want instruction, IMO Zoro has a great feel for shuffles (and near shuffles) and he knows how to teach it really really well.

Jeff Porcaro on Boz Scaggs "Lido Shuffle" (any relation to Ricky Skaggs?)

The intro is ghost city then at the verse he cleans it up.

Toto's "Roseanna" is a particularly sweet feeling half time shuffle.

ZZ Top's "La Grange" is THE definitive Texas shuffle

"Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac is a great rock shuffle. Just about everything Mick did was great!

Bermuda

Back