Tama Speed Cobra Quality/Longevity??

Yesterday we had a really bad day me and my SC...

Our relationship just didn't work. I was late on the beat all the time. I cramped up and had a really lousy rehearsal.

I stayed after rehearsal and ended up copying all the settings from another pedal from another kit, an old Yamaha item.

We'll see what it feels like the next time. I have not got the proper SC spring yet (see previous posts) and even though it is since I broke it I have had problems with it, I can't really belive that it is all in the spring.

Can someone post a pic of their SC that shows what kind of settings you run?

//Jörgen

Yesterday we had a really bad day me and my SC...

Our relationship just didn't work. I was late on the beat all the time. I cramped up and had a really lousy rehearsal.

I stayed after rehearsal and ended up copying all the settings from another pedal from another kit, an old Yamaha item.

We'll see what it feels like the next time. I have not got the proper SC spring yet (see previous posts) and even though it is since I broke it I have had problems with it, I can't really belive that it is all in the spring.

Can someone post a pic of their SC that shows what kind of settings you run?

//Jörgen

Might want to try moving the beater closer to the head. It comes with the beater way too far back from the head IMO, so if you haven't adjusted that, it's something you could try.

im the opposite to daredrummer

i like my beater further from the head so i get more power and i can feel the full stroke.

I always feel that I'm late when it's too far back. It's just preference, I guess...

Before I moved the beater forward it was slapping the top of my foot. While I enjoyed the long stroke, I didn't enjoyed my foot getting destroyed by the beater!
I too had a crummy session two days ago after making some tweaks to the spring settings. I plan to move them back today.(to a less taught position) The SC is becoming the pedal I love to hate. However, I am going to give it a bit longer to see if things work out....

Thanks for all the input fellow SC users'!

You can replace the spring for a lot less at your local hardware store,about a fourth of the cost,just bring your old spring with you and match it up.I have two IC's,a first generation power glide one that I bought used for 75.00 about 12 years ago,and it was well used when I got it,and is still going strong.I bought a next generation cobra rolling glide and it was not as fast,so I changed the cam to a power glide,better,but still not as fast as the first generation one.The newer cam looks more rounded,maybe that is the cause. I will probably replace the bearings soon,I don't know if they can fail all at once or if the performance can degrade slowly over a long amount of time,but the pedals are worth the expense to me,I have had no problems,I just clean them up and tighten them up and they are ready to go.

Yesterday I had a good rehearsal! And the settings is back to basic. I think the default settings confused me. I'm beyond the markings... I just set it up as I liked it, more angle on the foot board and longer stroke. A medium+ spring tension. Works fine!

//Jörgen

I have the double version and i would really like to know the name of the youtube video on how to fix the wobble even though its not that wobbly i would still want to know how to fix it if it gets worst. Also I can't comment that much on the slave pedal since it is my first double pedal but the main pedal feels pretty nice, i still haven't found that perfect setting but im getting close.

@kekoa68
Can you post the link to the you tube video for us?

@Everyone
I have now really noticed the play in the main shaft, It seems Tama made it a bit too long?(Pics Coming) I hope it doesn't worsen. I am already playing the slave at an angle. By that, I mean that the chain is not strait and despite my efforts I cannot get it strait. I will post some pictures of what I am referring too. I still love the feel and have found the right settings for me, on the main. The slave needs some TLC, but it isn't a huge issue as I only use the double kick for fills and quick phrases; not playing long blast beats or what-not.

Thanks Everyone for your thoughts and I hope that we can get a link to the YT video. I will post some pics of my issue shortly.....

Happy Drummin'!
W

That happened to me on stage once. Had to fumble around in near dark to change the spring before an encore. Having a spare pedal would have been good...

Yep. Only took one time of busting a chain onstage with no backup for me. Since then, I don't care what kind of POS the pedal is, I keep a backup. Man, that's no fun at all.

Just got mine 3 days ago, it feels great. I takes time getting use to the lightness of the pedal, coming form the previous IC powerglide. Not sure if it is faster than the previous but the feeling is very smooth the longer board makes it more comfortable at least for me. Not sold on the cobra coils, seems those springs are way too soft to make a big difference. i replicated my previous IC setting and that's it. I do recommend playing around with the settings, mainly board and beater position to find what is best suited for you.
my setting;
Board is set one line above the middle, beater 5 inch form skin, medium-tight spring tension, cobra coil on H

/badcatz

Just got mine 3 days ago, it feels great. I takes time getting use to the lightness of the pedal, coming form the previous IC powerglide. Not sure if it is faster than the previous but the feeling is very smooth the longer board makes it more comfortable at least for me. Not sold on the cobra coils, seems those springs are way too soft to make a big difference. i replicated my previous IC setting and that's it. I do recommend playing around with the settings, mainly board and beater position to find what is best suited for you.
my setting;
Board is set one line above the middle, beater 5 inch form skin, medium-tight spring tension, cobra coil on H

/badcatz

Nice! Just got mine today. Was messing around with it, but didn't quite find the right settings yet. Though, it will take some getting used to, as it is responding way differently than my other pedal. Plus, I'm I will be playing this on both my electric and acoustic sets. And, this is my first pedal upgrade, as I had a cheap PDP pedal that came stock with my kit. Anyhow, thanks for posting your settings. Medium-tight spring... does that mean you tightened it to go halfway? Ya, I'm not sold on the coil either... seems way too soft.

Just playing I'm afraid. I guess it was an manufacturing error. It broke just where the 90 deg bend is for the last loop. (Hope you understand me, it is explaining things like this it shows that English is not my first language.)

//Jörgen

I'll add a photo...

Hello there,

It seems that the spring has over-heated...

Did you over-tension the spring?

Cheers,

Hello everyone
As a newby on here, i'll start with sharing thoughts on my Speed Cobra which i purchased last week.
Being a Pearl pedal user on and off for overs 25 years, occasionaly trying something different (Premier with rubber springs, dreadful!, Speedking er, no... s/h DW etc) i always went back to my comfortable Pearls, But recently reading the bumpf on SK i bought one...
After an hour of caresing, moving and adjusting, i've got a pedal i'm falling in love with!
Speed, yes, adjustability, yes, power yes, i've never played a pedal were you virtually think and it does it.
Took it to a gig next night and no concerns at all, loads of power, my foot danced like Fred Astaire, and most of all, no leg fatigue...result.
The only fault i can find with it is the felt on the beater, which is starting to wear...
Hopefully Tama will address this, with a more durable beater.

Hi there everybody,I'm a long time reader,first time poster.

I sold my black Axis AL2 longboards around 6 months ago (just couldn't get on with them after a year of trying) and bought the SC double pedals as I've had Iron Cobras before and always found them to be pretty solid pedals,but liked the extra length the longboards gave me so the Speed Cobra seemed the obvious choice.At first when I played them,I noticed a 10-15% improvement in my speed playing so was automatically in love with these pedals....However,as time has passed they(or maybe it's just me!)have developed a few issues so I thought this was the best place to pick the brains of other players :)

1.The beater on the main pedal seems to loosen and drop back after a hard session (which sometimes ends up with it hitting my foot as it's gone back so far)does anyone know any way to stop this other than tighten the allen nut on the outer casing of the pedal mechanism?

2.When doing lots of double footwork,I find my slave pedalboard moves around,sometimes forward (I've set the screws at the front to their spikiest and this seems to have helped a bit),but am still getting the back end of the pedalboard coming round to meet my snare stand!!Anyone else had this problem,or know how to fix it?

3.Does anyone know if you can buy just the replacement heads for the projector beaters (in the UK if possible) or do you have to buy the whole beater?

Cheers

Rich.

2.When doing lots of double footwork,I find my slave pedalboard moves around,sometimes forward (I've set the screws at the front to their spikiest and this seems to have helped a bit),but am still getting the back end of the pedalboard coming round to meet my snare stand!!Anyone else had this problem,or know how to fix it?

Industrial strength VELCRO, the kind AXIS uses on their pedals.

1.The beater on the main pedal seems to loosen and drop back after a hard session (which sometimes ends up with it hitting my foot as it's gone back so far)does anyone know any way to stop this other than tighten the allen nut on the outer casing of the pedal mechanism?

3.Does anyone know if you can buy just the replacement heads for the projector beaters (in the UK if possible) or do you have to buy the whole beater?
1) if its not tight ofcorse it's going to loosen... theres no mechanism on the inside that's going to make it move like this. i've had my speed cobras for almost a year now and i havn't ran into this problem... if you got them 2nd hand perhaps the last owner over-tightened the nut which ruined the thread?

3) any tama dealer can get you just the replacement head. i did the same, got the tama iron cobra wooden beater for mine (i prefer wooden beaters) and ended up costing me something like $15 (aud) for each replacement head.

Cheers Les Ismore,I have ordered some industrial velcro so will see if that works.Couldn't find anything that looked like the Axis plastic spike stuff(which were the dogs danglies,pulled up many a practice room carpet tile after a good sesh!)

And Uniin,To be fair I did move the beaters after a couple of months playing to try and improve my speed,so have now given them a damn good tightening with a proper allen key set (I found the key that comes with the pedal was hard to get a good grip on to exert enough pressure)so hopefully that will work,have a gig a Tuesday so that will be the true test.And thanks for the info on the beater heads,shall contact my local shop to see if they can get some for me as I love the extra projection that the convex head gives me.

Cheers for the assistance :)

Back