Bass Drum Art

Masheanhed

If there is a thread for this already I apologize. I did a search for bass drum art, drum art, and art and did not find one.

This is my bass drum head I painted recently. It is supposed to have that weathered and worn Americana folkart look (it looks more worn in person than in the photos).

Anybody out there got some pics of their drum head art...whether you did it or had it done?

SANY6097.jpg

Here ya go, hand painted by your truly (the Pearl logo is painted to)

enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 8,583
That looks great! How did you work the wrinkles in the star, also what medium did you use?

Thanks. Those are scratched out to look like it has been chipped or banged up.

I cut a stencil, taped it on in sections, and used spray paint.

WOW, all of you guys are really really GOOD!!!!!

theres some pretty amazing stuff there.. Can you guys tell me what type of head, and what type of paint you guys used?? Just by seeing these heads, it sort of inspired me to try one out myself.. Good stuff guys.

cheers

WOW, all of you guys are really really GOOD!!!!!

theres some pretty amazing stuff there.. Can you guys tell me what type of head, and what type of paint you guys used?? Just by seeing these heads, it sort of inspired me to try one out myself.. Good stuff guys.

cheers

I used Prismacolor paint markers and just a normal, smooth mylar head (I think this was an EMAD resonant, which is exactly the same as an EQ2 or something like that). Any head and any kind of marker will work, though. A coated head will absorb the ink better than a clear/smooth head, of course. You have to practice a little bit to get the effect you're after.

That is sweet, Matt!!!!

Mine was a project to cover up a previous botched attempt at "drum art". Originally I had planned on doing a 1920s pin up (ala Alphonse Mucha) type painting on a Remo Fiberskyn head. I didn't like the drawing I did that well and couldn't find a paint that stuck very well. I am sure there is one out there but I got impatient and had a gig coming up and wanted something on the head in time for it. I had seen some Americana style folkart in a magazine and thought this might look good. So I bought a can of red primer which was the closet color I could find in what I wanted, made some stencil out of paint tape and fired away. I used some sandpaper to give it a scuffed look.

I used Prismacolor paint markers and just a normal, smooth mylar head (I think this was an EMAD resonant, which is exactly the same as an EQ2 or something like that). Any head and any kind of marker will work, though. A coated head will absorb the ink better than a clear/smooth head, of course. You have to practice a little bit to get the effect you're after.

Awesome! So just using prisma markers works? My girlfriend is an artist and uses prisma markers, I might ask her to do something on my bass drum head.

really cool guys

can i ask you what you used to do this?

a white bass drum head i assume?
what paint? does any work ?

i have lots of very arty friends that might enjoy working on something for a college course :p

Well this one is nothing compared to what you guys have up, but its one i did as a kid MANY a year ago.. For a punk band i had going on at the time.. Painted it on a clear 16" kick with oil pains.. i guess im happy with the results.. Im going to see if i get started on another one soon.. I guess the message seemed like a good idea at the time jaja

100_0495.jpg

100_0498.jpg

Awesome! So just using prisma markers works? My girlfriend is an artist and uses prisma markers, I might ask her to do something on my bass drum head.

Well, for my bass drum head the only ones that worked were the metallic paint markers (you have to shake it and depress the tip for the ink/paint to come out). I have a whole bunch of other regular Prismacolor markers that I've used on my other heads (see the photo below). They work great on these clear and coated heads but because my bass drum head is black, they didn't show up very well on there.

20100109_81.jpg

I used to do my own art, simple silhouettes and such, but occasionally had some work done by pros.

Custom airbrush on cloth, 1984 -
corders.jpg

Inked by Evans, 2010 -
alhead.jpg

Bermuda

that's awesome bermuda, I like how you decided to change your hair cut too in the second pic ;)
also mattwalker + jimi hendrix, love those.

Back