The legendary Steve Gadd

Why I think that Steve Gadd is the most influential and best groovin' drummer? Because it's just amazing how much he can do with so less. He is SO musical. That blows my mind completely and 50 ways to leave your lover is the most "fit in" groove I've heard.

A LEGEND. One of the most influential drummers of all time. Underrated drummer for most of people. Is a different kind of drummer, he truly focuses on the groove before the "noise". I think he is great but he isnt one of my favourites.

I just watched the clip recently posted by Bernhard of Steve Gadd playing Basically Blue with the BR Big Band. What a great performance. This song sums up some of the reasons why I love Gadd so much. So Simple, so effective, such groove and swing and so dynamic.

I think a lot of the criticism of Gadd on this forum - often from younger and/or less experienced players - is related to the fact that those posters don't yet know how hard it is to actually pull of a performance like that. Without a background full of experience the subtleties are harder to assess and appreciate. It is much harder to "judge" a performance like this than judging a performance based on a more objective criteria like double strokes on the bass drum at 230 bbm.

If, you want be a professional drummer then you just have to learn to appreciate playing like this - and you have to learn to LOVE the music. Not just the drums, not just the drum arrangement - but you have to love the song and the overall music which the band will produce. Without that love you just can't even get near to sounding like Gadd.

(I am now stepping off my soap box)

Paul

Here's the link:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/stevegaddbasically.html

When I first started drumming a while back I hadn't heard of many drummers. I was convinced Neil Peart was the world's best based on what friends had told me as I didn't listen to Rush. I Youtubed a couple of his solos and was impressed. When my dad, a professional guitar player said he knew the names of some "real" drummers to check out I was intrigued.

I looked one up named Steve Gadd and saw some video of him playing with some fusion band. I was not very impressed and didn't know what to think. He was playing in a strange time signature and I had no idea what he was doing. Months later after I had become a much better drummer I looked up Steve Gadd again. From that moment on I was sold he is now one of my favorite drummers of all time. Such taste, I couldn't believe it, he knew when not to play too. It was like every note he played was perfect. Plus he can go all out and pretty much destroy a kit aswell. He has a very unique groove oriented style and he has inspired me to play more musically at all times. I listen a lot more now to the music I am playing too since listening to Gadd's drumming. Truly a legend

My Review of Steve Gadd's Long Island Clinic

This is Part I and Part II of IV

let me know if you want me to put up Parts 3 and 4 if you like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HXlGlZLO-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwIdic2qaZM

I never really paid attention to the tom press until now. I am going to try to apply that to my playing. You definately have a great approach to your teaching methods that helps people like me to build appreciation for technique that I would never consider. Thanks for the vids Dyke, you always inspire me.

Sorry for the double post.. but I have to express my awe inspiring revelation.

I grew up listening to Al Jarreau and I never knew until just a few hours ago that Gadd backed him up. Thanks for the audio clip Bern! NEW FOUND RESPECT! I always liked Gadd, especially from the 1st time I heard 50 Ways, but now knowing that he backed Jarreau.... I am sooooo inspired and my fire for Gadd has been rekindled. I'm nearly speechless.

I need to go and dig up my Al Jarreau records! Man, how could I have never known this?

^ Dude, Gadd and Jarreau together are one of my favorite duos of all time.

"This Time" .. "Breakin' Away" .. "Jarreau" ... besides a couple of tracks with Porcaro and the Toto band (Mornin', Step by Step, Breakin' Away) it was all Gadd and the NYC "Stuff" band. To this day I think of those albums as being not just templates for great pop/r&b drumming, but also templates for what great pop/r&b writing, production, playing, ect should be! It's easy, easy!

Steve Gadd has been my hero since 1980. I was blown away by his performance on
" Humpty Dumpty " From Chick Coreas' " Mad Hatter album. Incredible .

As a side note, I'm curious as to why he isn't playing with Clapton these days.

^ Dude, Gadd and Jarreau together are one of my favorite duos of all time.

"This Time" .. "Breakin' Away" .. "Jarreau" ... besides a couple of tracks with Porcaro and the Toto band (Mornin', Step by Step, Breakin' Away) it was all Gadd and the NYC "Stuff" band. To this day I think of those albums as being not just templates for great pop/r&b drumming, but also templates for what great pop/r&b writing, production, playing, ect should be! It's easy, easy!

That was the stuff, no pun intended, that really turned me on to Gadd, along with Friends. I always loved Distracted and of course Spain from This Time. I think it is Jarreau's best album. It changed the whole way I looked at drumming. He could do a quarter note flam on the floor tom for a fill and it was earth shattering because he made you wait for it, just a little bit, you know, that Gadd lilt. That's why he is the greatest in my book and the nicest guy as well. I teased him last year at the clinic. He was saying that the drum stick click in Aja was a mistake; so when I came up to question him I asked "what am I to do now since that was my favorite drum solo because of the click; but now I find it was a mistake." He said it was still brilliant in defense, which of course I knew already. Gadd is everything that they told you growing up that in theory would make a great drummer, all rolled up in an actually breathing, beating, drumming human being.

That was the stuff, no pun intended, that really turned me on to Gadd, along with Friends. I always loved Distracted and of course Spain from This Time. I think it is Jarreau's best album. It changed the whole way I looked at drumming. He could do a quarter note flam on the floor tom for a fill and it was earth shattering because he made you wait for it, just a little bit, you know, that Gadd lilt. That's why he is the greatest in my book and the nicest guy as well. I teased him last year at the clinic. He was saying that the drum stick click in Aja was a mistake; so when I came up to question him I asked "what am I to do now since that was my favorite drum solo because of the click; but now I find it was a mistake." He said it was still brilliant in defense, which of course I knew already. Gadd is everything that they told you growing up that in theory would make a great drummer, all rolled up in an actually breathing, beating, drumming human being.

Enjoyed that....nicely done!

That was the stuff, no pun intended, that really turned me on to Gadd, along with Friends. I always loved Distracted and of course Spain from This Time. I think it is Jarreau's best album. It changed the whole way I looked at drumming. He could do a quarter note flam on the floor tom for a fill and it was earth shattering because he made you wait for it, just a little bit, you know, that Gadd lilt.

I can't decide whether I like This Time or Breakin' Away better.. they're both cut from the same exact cloth. And I know what you mean about those simple fills that just makes the empty space cry out for its mommy (lol). One of my favorite moments is in Roof Garden, the first fill at 0:57.. those backbeats just burst out at you! Same idea at 3:13.

Never Givin Up, Love is Real, Alonzo, Spain, Your Sweet Love, Closer to your Love, My Old Friend, Easy, Blue Rondo... I could gush about this timeless music forever.

I can't decide whether I like This Time or Breakin' Away better.. they're both cut from the same exact cloth. And I know what you mean about those simple fills that just makes the empty space cry out for its mommy (lol). One of my favorite moments is in Roof Garden, the first fill at 0:57.. those backbeats just burst out at you! Same idea at 3:13.

Never Givin Up, Love is Real, Alonzo, Spain, Your Sweet Love, Closer to your Love, My Old Friend, Easy, Blue Rondo... I could gush about this timeless music forever.

Yes, I think we're talking about two different things; but you put your finger on it. It was the space between the notes that really got me to rethink my breaks, and also the placement of the notes, the sound of the notes, the pitch of the drums, the use of a dynamic and accent range in the fill, which gave it a sense of direction; it was music. When I play Gadd for my young students and say listen to this fill, they are always awed by it; it still sounds 'like' way cool man even to kids today. lol

^ Amen. Space and dynamics are sorely missing in much of today's music, let alone today's drumming.

I just listened to "Lenore" and "Leprechaun's Dream Pt. 2" for the first time in a year or more. Lenore was the first song to say to me, "I NEED to hear more of this Gadd person", effectively starting my love for the guy, and listening back to this stuff now.... man I'm reduced to tears. So beautiful....

No other drummer pulls these emotions out of me like this.. ugh he's rediculous!

Friends,
The thing is this...you guys HAVE to stop thinking as DRUMMERS and think as musicians.
No one, and I mean NO ONE except other drummers care about all of those chops. The chops must serve the music. There are so so many guys who can play this roll or that combination and will never get called for a gig. Musicality is the most important thing. That means good sound, time, taste, communication and big ears.
Steve is a perfect example of the ultimate musical drummer- that is why he is on so many records for so many years. Even if he had never taken great solos he would go down in history as having THE defining groove of the 1970's.
Max Roach once told me that the most important thing that I can do is learn to play the piano. Everytime I would see him he would ask,"so, hows th epiano coming?"
Advice like this from a master is not to be taken lightly.
BTW in regards to the gadd vinnie dave thing.... I was just talking to a respected WORKING drummer here in nyc and we both commented on the fact that gadd blew them both away with his musicality. When he comes in at half the dynamic level that the other guys played you realize that he is about MUSIC and not sports.
Peace

Friends,
The thing is this...you guys HAVE to stop thinking as DRUMMERS and think as musicians.
No one, and I mean NO ONE except other drummers care about all of those chops. The chops must serve the music. There are so so many guys who can play this roll or that combination and will never get called for a gig. Musicality is the most important thing. That means good sound, time, taste, communication and big ears.
Steve is a perfect example of the ultimate musical drummer- that is why he is on so many records for so many years. Even if he had never taken great solos he would go down in history as having THE defining groove of the 1970's.
Max Roach once told me that the most important thing that I can do is learn to play the piano. Everytime I would see him he would ask,"so, hows th epiano coming?"
Advice like this from a master is not to be taken lightly.
BTW in regards to the gadd vinnie dave thing.... I was just talking to a respected WORKING drummer here in nyc and we both commented on the fact that gadd blew them both away with his musicality. When he comes in at half the dynamic level that the other guys played you realize that he is about MUSIC and not sports.
Peace

WELL SPOKEN!! That are my thoughts too

Back