Joey Lee Plays at a Show! COMMENTS?

Joey182

Silver Member
Hey my name is Joey and I would really like some constructive criticism from my fellow drummers at DW! I had no choice but to cover this song because it was a " Cabaret for Cancer". This song is about saving lives so I did this. Please tell me what you think? I brought all of the drums and cymbals because I was supposed to be playing a song that required all of them! Comments?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2S6keLk_zY

Hello!

1. Spend some time with your metronome (I know you're already doing this, so keep going!)

2. Hit the snare harder

3. Hit the cymbals less hard

4. Hit the bass drum harder

5. Maybe set the kit up a bit more comfortably? It looks like quite a stretch between the snare and hi-hat.

6. Keep on playing!

The beats sounded pretty good. The fills need need a little work.
When I first started playing, I would really stomp on my bass drum to keep my fills in time.

Try playing with the bass drum on every beat: 1, 2, 3 and 4. Keep it going at the same tempo during your fill. Try playing the fill softly, while stomping on the bass drum just to see if you're on time.

PQleyR has some good suggestions.

If you like to practice to recorded music, it will help you smooth out your groove to play along some music that has solid 2 & 4 with a thick back beat.

Think Steve Jordan, Matt Flynn, Gadd, etc..

Practice to a metronome and some hip hop.
I get bored to tears but your time will get solid in no time.

Set ups are as set up go and to each his own. Some economy of motion might help. Check out the screen shot from your video.
joey.jpg

Your ride seems like it might be a bit of a stretch too. Your second floor tom is at 4 o'clock to your middle position over your snare. It can take the relaxed feel out of your groove with your left foot when you start to wheel around to the right.

For whatever it's worth. I play a two up two down scenario similar to yours with my ride in the traditional 4-piece position with my racks just to the left. Floor toms to my right with my 2nd floor in the 3 o'clock position. I'm 6'4" and I thought your set up was too spread out for me.

It could be the camera angle too but I think I'm just trying to help with some of the ergonomic parts of your playing. If you're comfortable, then don't change a thing.

I enjoyed your playing. Keep it up. It takes a special type of person to play out. Do it as often as you can.

Your all right! My cymbals were a huge stretch for me in this time and didn't have even 10 minutes to set up, so it wasn't comfy at all! My setup at home and in studios where I have unlimited time to set up the cymbals are in very different areas.
I bought my metronome along with tons of other accessories yesterday at GC and it is super boring, but I can see how it will help! Thanks for the input!-------Joey Lee
P.S. None of those are my cymbals anymore. I have upgraded once more!

That's great. Mix up your metronome practice with some hip hop.

It helps to also be able to play with different set ups. I sit in some times and it's like playing "whack a mole"

I can't always have my set up like this:
picture.php

See what I mean about bringing stuff in tighter so you can get around the kit and be comfortable.

That's great. Mix up your metronome practice with some hip hop.

It helps to also be able to play with different set ups. I sit in some times and it's like playing "whack a mole"

I can't always have my set up like this:
picture.php

See what I mean about bringing stuff in tighter so you can get around the kit and be comfortable.

Like I said. My set at home is set up differently than it was here. My set is set up like yours almost exactly just with the 2 extra toms.

Keep it up!
Yeah, having no set up time is a drag.
One way to fix that is to always carry a rug with your stand & drum positions marked to every performance. Even if they say they provide one.

Also some of those tube/hose clamps (they use a screwdriver to tighten, cost maybe a buck each for that size) on the bottom tube will keep your leg spread the same every time.
Doing that save so much time--you'll be the first one ready to go.

I remember seeing your kit in the TB kit thread, and seeing this from above- I know it's different at home, but if you put your snare closer to the bass drum hoop, you'll be able to play the bass drum more effectively and have better control of what your foot is doing.
You might also want to think about putting your small tom to the left of the hats. The hats being in a comfortable position is way more important than having two toms.
Having them as low as you do, it just shoves the hats too far away.

I know looks are important to what you want to project, but ya gotta be comfortable while you're playing.
Sure the kick might look a little longer with the toms that far back, but believe me, no one is gonna notice a shorter looking bass drum if you put your toms in a better playing position.

Keep it up, and good luck to ya!

Back