Show us your tiny kits

Here's an example of my small setup.

100_4469.jpg

100_4474.jpg

100_4475.jpg

100_4478.jpg

Yamaha stage custom 5.5x14 snare; sonor safari kick; Sabian AA regular 14" hats. Lot's of fun!

Attachments

• IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 7,787
  • IMAG0488.jpg
    IMAG0488.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 7,157
I made a tom converter stand for my 16 tom so I now use this mini-kit to practice. Well maybe not so mini, but I really like the kick.

Attachments

• 111229-180659.jpg
    111229-180659.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 6,573
  • 111229-180922.jpg
    111229-180922.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 6,548
My new tiny kit using the floor and rack tom from my bigger Pearl kit ...

MyPearlConversionKit-1.jpg

My new small kit hero

Greg Saunier interview

"Speaking of your drum kit, it seems really tiny from the audience. Is that an optical illusion? [Laughs.] No, I’m actually twelve feet tall. I suppose my drum set is kind of small because it doesn’t have very many parts in it. You mentioned The Roots earlier and that choice was largely an inspiration from ?uestlove again, from when Satomi and I went to see The Roots maybe ten years ago. I saw the drummer back there playing a pretty stripped down drum set and yet it seemed like he was sort of the star of the show, even at that time. Of course since then he’s a legend everybody knows. But he and I have joked around a little bit since then because his drum set has gotten bigger over the years as he’s become more famous. But right around that time I was thinking to myself that I wanted to take pieces away from my own drums and try to make it smaller, so when I saw him playing such a small set that it made me feel okay with it.

What’s the motivation for that? I think for me it’s almost like it forces me to have to be a little more creative, I think. Because, you know, if you have a lot of different sounds at your disposal, then any time your music is getting boring you can hit one of the new sounds. “Oh, I’ll just rake my drumstick across this bell tree here.” You know, “I’ll pull out the gong and bash that for a while.” So it makes me have to try and think of some interesting idea to play or make some interesting statement with the drums even if I don’t have a lot of sound effects. I don’t know. It’s actually a little hard to explain. I’m not sure why I like it… I guess part of me deep down thinks that our music is actually really simple and it’s meant to be simple and it’s meant to be easy to play. And easy to cover. And it doesn’t require anything special or any unusual equipment to play Deerhoof songs."

Deerhoof in action ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4laVvRawXz0

GregSaunier100.jpg

Wonder1, can you tell us the story behind this kit? It's beautiful. I've not seen anything even remotely like it!
Hi,Pollyanna!
Thanks! About this Triangle shape drum,This's just another try out fun project.I always wanted to build a Triangle Shape drum-kits.But,I also worry whether the shape will effect the drum's sound(especially the Kick drum!!!).After 3 long months,I decided to give it a try.Who care,If It didn't sound good.I always can change it to one of my furniture(like Side Table!!).To,my surprise.it sound good.The snare sound tight & fat,Kick sounds tight/punchy!!!.Few of my drummers already try out this drum.They all amaze with the drum sounds & looks!!
Regards,
Wonder1

377886_2504010757950_1183428258_32324435_602465979_n.jpg

Hi,
There's another mini compact drum that I like to use for gig! DIY remote cable kick Pedal,16 "bass,6" mini snare inside 16" shell.6" mini-hat!
Wonder1

A Star Jr. kit I've scored from C/List and cleaned up. It's lots of fun. 16" bass drum, 10" snare, 9" tom and an added 14" Del Rey FT i've found w/matching wrap.

StarJrwDelReyFT8.jpg

StarJrwDelReyFT3.jpg

Here is my entry into the mini kit parade.

16 x 16 Catalina Maple Bass w/conversion kit
10 x 9 Renown Maple tom
4 x 14 Keller Piccolo snare...home made

p.s. if anyone has any tuning tips for a non-ringing bass sound my ears are open. I have a Fibreskin reso and
a pinstripe batter.

Hey! Where do you get a conversion kit like that at?

DSCN2608hardware.jpg

DSCN2606top.jpg

DSCN2607front.jpg

DSCN2610comp.jpg

My tiny kit. Built from a 16X16 floor tom, a rack tom, and a cheap snare. Hardware was stripped from a Ludwig kid's kit. Sounded great! Tiny! The last photo is the micro-kit next to a 24" bass drum for comparison.

Here's my newly assembled "tiny kit" I put together with some spare parts.

16" Bass Drum
- Remo Pinstripe batter
- Evans G1 reso

13"x 6" refurbished ddrum maple snare
- Evans Genera Dry

14" Zildjian Quick Beat Hi-Hats
8" Wuhan Splash Cymbal (I've since substituted the splash, for an HHX Jazz Ride)

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

This little set up is really a blast to play around with. With a little experimenting with different combinations of heads, tuning, and muffling, I was able to get a pretty decent little punch out of this 16" tom. I'm real happy with it. Lots of fun. :)

Last edited:
Back