Show Me Your Cymbal Stacks!!!

I Wanna see all the kinds of cool experimentation drummers have done with their cymbal stacks
Also i have an 16" XS20 crash will it fit well on a Wuhan 18" China or maybe a 16"?

I don't stack my cymbals. That would damage them from the weight, especially if I stacked ALL of them. I store them upright, on their sides, in bags. I don't see anything potentially considerable of "cool experimentation" in this scenario, unless people separate the cymbals by profile (most pronounced to flattest), on a large rod, and with cymbal felts between them so none of the edges touch any of the bows of the cymbals above and below them. That would be hard to accomplish with 70 cymbals, and a quite impressive feat. Plus, when you want to get the 60th one out from the top of the stack, you would have to remove the upper 59. Nope, that won't work for me. I'd like to hear about some practical, cool experimentation with this as well...

Here's one. It's a 21" Sabian Groove Ride over a 10" AAX Ozone Splash. It's mounted using a Gibraltar X-Hat arm...

Lo Res pic...

photo-17.jpg

I don't stack my cymbals. That would damage them from the weight, especially if I stacked ALL of them. I store them upright, on their sides, in bags. I don't see anything potentially considerable of "cool experimentation" in this scenario, unless people separate the cymbals by profile (most pronounced to flattest), on a large rod, and with cymbal felts between them so none of the edges touch any of the bows of the cymbals above and below them. That would be hard to accomplish with 70 cymbals, and a quite impressive feat. Plus, when you want to get the 60th one out from the top of the stack, you would have to remove the upper 59. Nope, that won't work for me. I'd like to hear about some practical, cool experimentation with this as well...

Caddy, I hope you're joking...

My main stack is a 12" Wuhan china with a cracked 10" Zildjian K splash.

You can hear incorporated into a beat here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwddaJ8Uk4g

The other stack I'll some times use is what's left an of old 18" Zildjian Amir crash, and the remains of an 18" Sabian HH thin china. I don't have anything I've recorded with that mixed. but hopefully that will change in the not-so-distant future.

This one is kinda cool ...

A 10" Zildjian ZHT China Splash over a 12" Wuhan China, and mounted on a closed hi-hat stand. Using the the hi-hat device allows any number of options
in how you set it, I like to leave the top cymbal totally loose, it is like the metal equivalent of hitting a rimshot.

DoubleChinaTrash-1.jpg

i made one in a recording session... sounds amazing.

296021_10150763922670650_513070649_20555411_3889003_n.jpg

it's a 1960's 20" zildjian swish/china with an 18" meinl byzance extra dry thin crash ontop.

ill try get a sound file..

Thats a cool cymbals stack ya got their! I'm just wondering do they sit well on top of each other i have an old 16" crash that i want to stack on top of a china but i was wondering if i should get the china in 16" or 18"

Thats a cool cymbals stack ya got their! I'm just wondering do they sit well on top of each other i have an old 16" crash that i want to stack on top of a china but i was wondering if i should get the china in 16" or 18"

they're not sitting tight... i have to flip the china over to make them sit tight, to get a more hi hat, john theodore kind of sound.... this sound is just really trashy sounds like a china on steroids...

Ive never heard of cymbal stacking before, would someone be able to explain it to me?... I see what it is from the pictures, but why lol? Does it actually make a decent sound?

you know that really quick tight "tch" sound you get, that's not quite china, thats not quite hi-hats? that's a stack.... many more "metal" bands use them however benny greb has his own version of a stack thats more like a hi hat....

its just 2 cymbals put together, usually a china and a crash, or a china and a splash.

sabian make one, it's a mike portnoy signature "maxx stax" cymbal.

you can see blake richardson play one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snGxAUBMZHY

also any of the drummers from the mars volta is required to play one, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNp95D4MFWM

you can't really hear it here live.... but you can hear it much clearer on the studio version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnFKTNC77I

also another kind of stack is the one used at the end of change by karnivool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCguKuLOEkc&t=12m46s

Ahhh, okay then... Thanks alot dude! Now I know lmao. Although I could only watch the Video of Karnivool, as I only have my phone to go on the internet... Ill have to try it out sometime or something.

I use most of the Bozzio-style stacks. I tried some others, but the sound either was not that great, or they were prone to damage.
picture.php

One stack that's not really visible is the "novochina"/ride stack. Possibly the loudest china stack on earth.

I have 2 sets of stacks on my kit! A 12' Signature China stacked on top of a 12' Alpha Splash, and a 14' Alpha China stacked on top of a 14' Alpha Crash. Idea borrowed from one Mike Portnoy. I want to try to make 1 or 2 more stacks using a 10' cymbals and maybe even make one like Terry Bozzio, when he put the bottom hi-hat cymbal inside the china cymbals!!!

I'm curious to know the different types of sounds generally speaking from stacking. For example:

- Ride/China:
- China/Splash:
- Splash/Crash:
- Crash/China:

etc....

I've never stacked before, but I've seen lots of splashes mounted upside-down on crashes (not sure if there's a felt separating them or not). Also, by mounting thin cymbals such as a spash upside-down, wouldn't that make it prone to damage because of the angle you're striking the cymbal?

My curiosity is piqued. I love that trashy sound that guys like Charlie Zeleny get with the Tripple Raw Smash (or Portnoy's Maxx Stax), and it would be cool to incorporate that in my own kit, just not sure what combination would achieve that sound.

I'm curious to know the different types of sounds generally speaking from stacking. For example:

- Ride/China:
- China/Splash:
- Splash/Crash:
- Crash/China:

etc....

I've never stacked before, but I've seen lots of splashes mounted upside-down on crashes (not sure if there's a felt separating them or not). Also, by mounting thin cymbals such as a spash upside-down, wouldn't that make it prone to damage because of the angle you're striking the cymbal?

My curiosity is piqued. I love that trashy sound that guys like Charlie Zeleny get with the Tripple Raw Smash (or Portnoy's Maxx Stax), and it would be cool to incorporate that in my own kit, just not sure what combination would achieve that sound.
You do get a lot of percussive sounds from stacking. When you see the splash mounted upside down on the crash, there is usually a felt between the cymbal. Dave Weckl does this, and when he hits the splash it gives you your traditional splash sound! the Maxx Staxx are a trashy sound white noise sort of deal. Those are your crash/china, or splash/china deals. As for the ride/china deal, I've seen Terry Bozzio do that with a novo china on a believe it was a 20' ride. the sound is a washy, trashy sounding noise as well. I use the china/splash and the china/crash types as alterenate china's for the quick out of the way white noise, trashy sounds! Enjoy your experimenting!!!

Yes, finally a thread about this! Cymbal stacks are lots of fun, if you can find something that sounds nice. You just have to experiment.
I made myself a cymbal stack out of a very crappy stock 16" Crash i got when I bought the kit and got cracked badly by a friend, and the top part of some 14" Hi-hats , also crappy, also stock. They are very thin cymbals (or better said thin brass sheet, lol ) that didn`t really sound good as cymbals so i stacked them to get an amazing sound. It sounds simmilar to a thin splash or a china splash,it`s very trashy... Here`s a pic, it`s on the upper left of the picture, above the ride and auxiliary hi-hats.

dsc0469s.jpg

Not sure I want to show you this recording as it is really sloppy, but it`s the only one i have. You can hear it the best at 0:19 and 4:07. Let me know what you think about it.

http://soundcloud.com/irod-2/mother-russia-drums-only-mp3

Hi,

Here's a stack that I got an idea from Dave Weckl. He uses a 14" china and 18" crash - check the specs on google or Sabian site. He used to have Zildjian but went for Sabian so his stack can be found with Sabian or ZIldjian cymbals.

I have a 19" china boy which has a killer sound, that i wanted to mute and cut a little bit so I stacked it with an old 24" UFIP ride.

The picture is bad, but if someone really wants to see this monster better, I can take a non-cellphone picture :D

Aki

Attachments

• KchBoy_Ufip_pieni.jpg
    KchBoy_Ufip_pieni.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 19,979
Back