Vinnie Colaiuta

He's paid his dues. He owes nobody anything. He can be harsh if he chooses. Listen to the message, not how it's delivered.

I do believe though that there were times that he didn't need to sound so 'harsh' I guess....but other than that, I can see where he's coming from.

Was listening to 'Now you see it now you don't' from Zappa's 'Tinseltown Rebellion' album - it's like he's taking Drumming into high art or something - incredible stuff.

Mook, how did you get on with the Token of my Extreme part? I've been giving it a go as well since i got hold of the transcription - those 32nd note bits are nasty....

I've had a go at the bits I was most interested in, however I've barely played this year & when I have - it's been in the context of a band. I'm not really one for playing songs the whole way through - I prefer to adapt beats/chops & play them in my own way - which is partly down to laziness. I did manage the 32nd notes (playing them on my knees & the floor) - they're not easy though - I'd put 'Token of my extreme' up there in my top 5 or 10 drum tracks of all time, amazing stuff!

Well I just had been listening to Megadeth - The System Has Failed and I have to say that although I though a lot of the songs were kind of lame the drumming was unreal and beautiful all at once. So clean and precise with great feel.

I've had a go at the bits I was most interested in, however I've barely played this year & when I have - it's been in the context of a band. I'm not really one for playing songs the whole way through - I prefer to adapt beats/chops & play them in my own way - which is partly down to laziness. I did manage the 32nd notes (playing them on my knees & the floor) - they're not easy though - I'd put 'Token of my extreme' up there in my top 5 or 10 drum tracks of all time, amazing stuff!

I had to transcribe the thing. "Token" is crazy and smooth, at the same time. "Five, Five, FIVE!" on Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, is some of the most brilliant 5 work ever. And I think the 19/16 grooves "Keep it Greasy" defied logic at times... in a good way.

Vinnie + Zappa = Musical Singularity.

This thread is so much more enjoyable when people are discussing what they enjoy about Vinnie's playing rather than the 'Gadd own's Vinnie in that drum battle' or 'you suck ass if you think Vinnie is faster than Buddy Rich' type stuff. I love so many drummers & their work for so many reasons & think it's so much more important than to bring it down to that level...

Haha, a man after my heart. I've never had much concentration to play through transcriptions end to end, but Token has such great parts that i've made a commitment to see it through lol
Awesome track awesome Vinnie.

Nice to see Ian Ballard make a return too

I had to transcribe the thing. "Token" is crazy and smooth, at the same time. "Five, Five, FIVE!" on Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, is some of the most brilliant 5 work ever. And I think the 19/16 grooves "Keep it Greasy" defied logic at times... in a good way.

"Keep it Greasy" is one of my top 10 favorite drum tracks of all time. Really unusual, and still sounds so natural and smooth...I was just blown away when I first heard it!

Vinnie's awesome.... I really like him when he's in a "soft groove" mood... The recordings on Kenny Pore's "Sessions Vol I" and "Sessions Vol 2" are fantastic (smooth/contemporary jazz).

I love his work on Gino Vanelli's "Nightwalker" and, of course, on Karizma's "Document". I think that some of Vinnie best works are found on David Garfield/Karizma's recordings. The things he played on those Creatchy Records albums - for instance for Brandon Fields, Steve Tavaglione and Larry Klimas - are really really good.

I personally never understood the comparison between Colaiuta and Gadd or Weckl. All three of them have different styles and they are all brilliant.

I noticed at the beginning of the thread, that "Nutha Jason" wrote that he didn't like Vinnie "as a person", to paraphrase.

I wonder what that's all about.

Must confess I didn't really like the way this guy played, thought he was a bit too choppy (not that I am anywhere near as good as him... anywhere...), but just this tuesday I heard him play with Herbie Hancock.

He's a freaking legend.

He was really tasteful, plays what works, and really well too. Seems like a modest bloke too. It was pretty cool how he wore his black singlet in front of a black background, you saw his arms flailing about like they weren't attached to anything :p

I had no idea he'd be there, luckily managed to get tix for Herbie on the day (!!) and doubly bonus, turns out he was playing!

On the downside, no more concerts till August... my parents have been forking out the dough.

So yeah. New found respect for Vinnie. Anybody else see him on the tour?

Re: Vinnie Colauita

YYou're also right in his playing. It's so frickin' subtle yet so amazing. Would I have ever thought of playing a 4/4 pattern in my right hand and a 5/4 or 7/4 pattern in my right? It's so unnatural but when he plays it, it's SO natural that you don't even notice it until someone points it out. And the groove is just so solid. I remember when I first figured it out and went "Duh, that's too easy." Then I sat down and tried to do it. Good God.

hahahahaha, I couldn't have put it better, the other day I was like 'hey, I've been listened to seven days so many times, why don't I ever trying playing it? it sounds like a pretty easy groove'... yeah, right...

Back