Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Here's an interesting piece about animal personalities: http://scienceblog.com/67560/animal-personalities-are-more-like-humans-than-first-thought/

This line grabbed my attention:

“We believe that unpredictability might represent a form of behavioural flexibility that facilitates learning, or makes animals unpredictable to predators or competitors. Some have even referred to this phenomenon as representing ‘free will’ in animals".

... or is that apparent free will that the animals were destined to manifest from the moment they were born?

Here's an interesting piece about animal personalities: http://scienceblog.com/67560/animal-personalities-are-more-like-humans-than-first-thought/

This line grabbed my attention:

“We believe that unpredictability might represent a form of behavioural flexibility that facilitates learning, or makes animals unpredictable to predators or competitors. Some have even referred to this phenomenon as representing ‘free will’ in animals".

... or is that apparent free will that the animals were destined to manifest from the moment they were born?

Could be animal instinct. Could be His Master's Voice.

Even if pre-destiny exists it all depends upon the person whether he or she wants to do work, think, talk whatever as per his or her free will. What many people is of the idea is that we make our own destiny, there is nothing as such pre-destiny..But if one leaves everything to the destiny then you never know you may end up no where. So it is better one should work in his or her free will and try work out the will. If it works out well so go with it, if it fails then think of something else.

As yes, Animal free will ...

Which differs from humans because ... ?

:)

Animals don't have hang-ups like humans do. We'd think, "I hear God! No WAIT! IT'S THE DEVIL AAGGGHH!".

And the shrinks will be lining up to shove pills down our throats if we tell anyone what we heard. :)

Animals don't have hang-ups like humans do. We'd think, "I hear God! No WAIT! IT'S THE DEVIL AAGGGHH!".

And the shrinks will be lining up to shove pills down our throats if we tell anyone what we heard. :)

Dunno Reg. Our bassist's dog is a vicious, paranoid chronically aggressive little animal - mad as a meat axe. I wish they had a pill for her :D

Looking at the various myths, it seems to me that the Buddhists seem to have intuited quantum physics. A lot of what I've found out about quantum seemed similar to stuff I read during my 20s Buddhism phase (never actually joined up or even really believed it, just read a lot and tried to meditate). That, of course, doesn't mean that other Buddhism claims aren't baloney.

Intuition is great, but it can be hit or miss.

I am a great believer in fate. The whole 'right place, right time' argument to me cannot exist without a pre determined path. When you have hind sight, it is very easy to see how moments slotted together almost as if they were written before you decided to see them.

Many people I speak to cannot accept the idea of fate, because it is suggestive of a higher power, or something which is controlling you as opposed to vice versa, which within their perception, cannot exist. I however, I'm open to it.

There is a quote from 'The Men Who Stare at Goats' which I love and like to recite now and again:

“Your life is like a river. If you’re aiming for a goal that isn't your destiny, you will always be swimming against the current. Young Gandhi wants to be a stock car racer? Not gonna happen. Little Anne Frank wants to be a high school teacher? Tough Anne. That's not your destiny. But you will go on to move the hearts and minds of millions. Find out what your destiny is and the river will carry you. Sometimes events in life give an individual clues as to where their destiny lies."

Find out what your destiny is and the river will carry you. Sometimes events in life give an individual clues as to where their destiny lies."

Ah! herein lies the kernel in the haystack that cut the mustard in the all forgiving universe.

sigh… I need a road map.

Last edited:
Dunno Reg. Our bassist's dog is a vicious, paranoid chronically aggressive little animal - mad as a meat axe. I wish they had a pill for her :D

Looking at the various myths, it seems to me that the Buddhists seem to have intuited quantum physics. A lot of what I've found out about quantum seemed similar to stuff I read during my 20s Buddhism phase (never actually joined up or even really believed it, just read a lot and tried to meditate). That, of course, doesn't mean that other Buddhism claims aren't baloney.

Intuition is great, but it can be hit or miss.

You should read the Tao of Physics, it's Taoist, but there are common strands with Buddhism and the book is of course all about physics :)

I've really enjoyed the time I lived in Sri Lanka -- where the majority population is Buddhist and where the Buddha is believed to have attained moksa (nirvana) -- when I was young. An interesting culture. Of course, nowadays, the monks are all into politics and were hurling bombs at minorities until not so long ago.

That poor doggie is probably just regurgitating the lessons that life has taught him. He's a guard dog, no doubt. His master on earth has told him to be aggressive and guard the house. His master in heaven no doubt tells him not to bite the hand that feeds and be a good doggie.

Back