Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Whew!Im glad it wasn,t the tear drop series because I play and love them to pieces. I have heard other players voice the same opinion as yours about the Phonics though. They were to heavy to be practical, and I believe the Sonor company knew that.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Greetings..I understand you play Sabian cymbals, so I have a question for you. I have come across 2x 22" med ride cym made in Canada. I think they are early because there are no other means of id on them. They are beautiful sounding and in great shape, I was shocked when I played them.
Do you have any knowledge of these?
thankyou.

Early/vintage for Sabian would be the '80s, and I'm sure 22" rides were common. All of my earliest Sabians have some sort of ink on them, so I'd say your cymbals were probably cleaned thoroughly at some point, or the ink deliberately removed by one of those "I'm not gonna give any company free advertising" drummers. :) So, the lack of ink doesn't indicate anything. They could be AAs from 35 years ago, or just 10.

Bermuda

Confirmed they are early 80,s AA with hand stamp that was done only to 84. These are sweet 22,s, just knocked my socks off!!

Jon,

I just have a comment about your website. It's WAY cool and I love the funny stories and jokes that can be found there!!! I've actually sent a couple of them to a fellow musician friend that I work with on occasion. :)

(I also like the fact that you're a collector of vintage kits that have concert toms like the 1970s concert toms!!! I've always liked that same setup.

Since you’re a collector of vintage wood kits, I’d like to ask you this question—do you think it’s true that wood kits keep sounding better over time due to the drying out of the wood, like a lot of vintage collectors say?

Jon,

I just have a comment about your website. It's WAY cool and I love the funny stories and jokes that can be found there!!! I've actually sent a couple of them to a fellow musician friend that I work with on occasion. :)

(I also like the fact that you're a collector of vintage kits that have concert toms like the 1970s concert toms!!! I've always liked that same setup.

Thanks, although I'm not sure where the stories and jokes appear...

But I will confess to an appreciation for concert toms, and to having 5 or 6 sets of them. :)

Bermuda

Thanks, although I'm not sure where the stories and jokes appear...

But I will confess to an appreciation for concert toms, and to having 5 or 6 sets of them. :)

Bermuda

If it's ok to post the link, they can be found here:

http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/rocklies/index2.htm

And, of course, I'm also a huge fan of Ludwig and concert toms and I'm sure you've seen my posts praising my favorite all-time drummer, Ronnie Tutt here on the DrummerWorld forum......hopefully, in the near future before I'm too old to play, I'll have my own replica kit of Tutt's 1970 blue sparkle Ludwig double-kick kit that can be seen in the movie & television special, "Elvis On Tour" & "Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii"!!!

Have a fabulous day, Jon!!!

Since you’re a collector of vintage wood kits, I’d like to ask you this question—do you think it’s true that wood kits keep sounding better over time due to the drying out of the wood, like a lot of vintage collectors say?

I think there's something to it, the less dense the wood is, the warmer the sound tends to be. But there are other factors that also govern the sound, so having an old, thin shell doesn't guarantee a great, warm drum. So if a drum was a dog to start with, it's not going to get better over time.

Bermuda

Oh, forgot about that! It used to be an actual site - rocklies.com (and I had some other variations) but I never monetized it. :(

Bermuda

Jon, believe me, I've got some great laughs out of that site since I found it. I even sent a couple of the jokes to my former bandleader. :)

You say you've never monetized the site.....have you possibly thought of doing that? Like I said, I've got a lot of happiness and laughs out of reading some of the things that are on it - and I thank you for that.

BTW, guess what song was running through my head this morning before I woke up? Al's parody of MJ's "Beat It" (Eat It)!!! LOL!!

Bermuda, Just listed to the podcast with Weird Al (from The Post?) - heard that the new tour is "unplugged". No costume changes, no props, no video screens. Sound like it will be very cool! We get to just enjoy the songs and the extremely talented band. :)

We still rock, the 'unplugged' term is a little misleading. But no costumes or videos, just us playing and singing.

Bermuda

I have my tickets for the "Strings Attached" show in my town and I'm pretty excited. I have a few friends on the local orchestra and I was idly curious how incorporating all these orchestras around the country is going to work. That is, if you're at liberty to share.

I imagine they will get sheet music and reference tracks ahead of time, but how far in advance? Is the band going to rehearse with an orchestra for the tour? Will video be taken and shared with the local orchestras? Inquiring minds want to know!

The orchestras will get charts closer to their respective dates rather than sooner. Hopefully the conductors will also get our clicks, as the countoffs vary (having been assembled and spec'd by me over a few decades, and yet to be standardized!)

No orchestra rehearsals needed before the tour, and we haven't yet determined how complete the daily soundcheck/rehearsal will need to be. Basically, the conductor and I are the links between the two groups, so he/she and I will probably end up going through some/all of the cues. A video at the least is a possibility to help us avoid running the whole show in the afternoon before we play it that evening. That would be kinda hard on Al's voice.

By the time Wenatchee happens, we'll have a workable system in place.

Bermuda

I had a group of friends over this weekend and they were excited about seeing you guys on July 3rd in Dayton, OH. I'm scheduled to be out of town and won't be able to join them. :-(

My daughter and I are flying in to Texas to catch the Austin show. Looking forward to it!

Cool, Bass Hall is very classy as I recall, perfect for us and an orchestra!

Bermuda

Bermuda, I had a fantastic time last night at Al's show. I've watched videos of your performances before but seeing you live was amazing. So many costume changes! Hope you enjoyed your brief stay in the apple capital of the world. Great job. Cheers.

I bet that was a great concert, And now if you go to "Home" I'm on every section thread. A grand slam I want my points-I want my reaction points now. I just love seeing so much GetAgrippa. Yeah I know I need to Get A Grip of myself. Crap someone posted and ruined my Grand slam-so no reaction points I gather. Dagnabit. I'd love to see Al and Bermuda perform live.

Back