[REDACTED]

No such thing. There's only sticks that feel better to YOU. Period.

I use a variety of sticks and I can play matched and trad. with all of them. The player controls the stick, the stick does not control the player.

From your description I think there is a much larger issue here than stick thickness. Your technique is what concerns me. Have you sought some one-on-one instruction from a competent teacher? I ask this out of concern for the future health of your hands and arms,

Take a look at some YouTube videos of how drummers like: Jeff Queen, DaveWeckl, Tommy Igoe, Jim Chapin, Dom Famularo, Buddy Rich or Louie Bellson control the sticks. Watch the speed, power, and smooth flowing motion that they display. They all play with different weight sticks.

Just a recommendation from a guy who's closing in on 50. ;)

I simply meant that some "feel better," but not that I can't use any pair of sticks handed to me.

When questions like "best stick for traditional grip?" get asked, it easy to assume you may be missing the wider point, even if you're not. There is no "best" only preference.....especially with respect to things like sticks which are chosen as much for the way they feel in individual hands as anything else.

Over all, my question is simple. What feels best for YOU?

My stick preferences have changed many times over the years, but "feel" has always been the main driver. I've used pretty much every brand, every type of wood and a wide variety of tip shapes in both wood and nylon over the years. These days I my preference is for a hickory stick somewhere between a 5A and 5B with a rounded wooden tip and a balance point "where I like it.".
But I also use maple sticks, 7A's, and 3A's depending on what I'm doing.

The choice of stick has always been dictated by both the "feel" and the playing application........not the grip. I use the same stick when playing trad grip as I do when playing matched.

I find that for concert work, I prefer a round bead stick, like the VF SD1. for other applications, a standard bead as found on the 2B, 5A, and 5B are comfortable. It is about what feels good for you, and how you sit/stand and angle to your instruments.

there should be no angle difference in your stick position
That's interesting. I've been noticing a difference in hand position/stick angle on various drummers all the time, it definitely looks like different angles to me (esp. the vintage drummers).

Due to the nature of trad grip, the stick is positioned differently. While the 'trad hand' has the stick at the top of the hand, it's the opposite with the 'matched hand'. So to offset this and create identical stick angles, the hands would have to be positioned at various heights. Personally I find it a bit uncomfortable to lower my trad hand for the only reason to create identical angles. There's a compromise - finding a medium position so the hands and stick position would mis-match in an identical way. You can't have your hands and stick positions identical 100% at the same time when using trad grip, that's simply impossible.

As for 'best sticks' - sure there is no such thing, you have to find out for yourself. What is working for me are the Pro Mark Todd Sucherman SD330W signature sticks. I switch between matched and trad all the time so whatever sticks I'd buy, they have to feel comfy with both grips. Plus, I prefer sticks with fast 'response', for 'finesse' (rudiment stuff). To me, those sticks give me that feel. Check them out.
Here's the manufacturer info: "Heavier weight and wider diameter. Like a 5B, but with a modified acorn-shaped tip. Great if you like a large diameter, but light weight. [The weight is enough to be punchy though.] Diameter 15.2mm / .600'', length 406mm / 16''."

I like the sound and feel of Vic Firth's Ney Rosauro model.

"
"there should be no angle difference in your stick position" -Anthony Amodeo

There should be with traditional grip. That is why the grip was created. Of course, it is pertinent that the sticks be as close to the same angle as possible, but without changing to a bad form, there will be a slight difference, if maybe only by ten degrees. .

I may be misunderstanding your point here, but stick angle isn't the reason that traditional grip was originally used. It's to do with the mechanics of the wrist and the difficulty of playing a drum sharply angled to the right and away from you with your left hand in a matched grip position.

In terms of sticks, no different to if I'm playing matched grip, 5A or 7A for quieter gigs. There aren't any 'best' sticks, just your personal favourites.

There should be with traditional grip. That is why the grip was created. Of course, it is pertinent that the sticks be as close to the same angle as possible, but without changing to a bad form, there will be a slight difference, if maybe only by ten degrees. Here, watch this video.

thats not why the grip was created.

the grip was created because of tilted drums and so the player could comfortably drop his elbow and play with the sticks even

and I'll say it again...there should be no difference in angle in your sticks.

if one chooses to create an angle difference while playing for comfort that is their choice

but if you are sitting at rest with the beads resting on the pad or drum and you have a noticeable angle difference there is a problem with your grip or arm position.

in the drum corps. I marched in they always urged us to have matching stick angles

Due to the nature of trad grip, the stick is positioned differently.

my left stick is positioned exactly the same as my right ...just with my hand on the bottom of the stick.

no difference in position or angle

if I flip my hand to matched nothing changes about the stick.....it stays exactly where it was

as was taught to me and reenforced by some of the best players to breathe our air

although I didn't like the way they felt in matched.

Assuming you're a right hander, then the way in which you hold the stick in your right hand doesn't change at all.....regardless of the grip used. How can you not like the feel of a stick in your left hand, but it doesn't seem to bother you in your right? This makes little sense to me, mate.

my left stick is positioned exactly the same as my right ...just with my hand on the bottom of the stick.

no difference in position or angle

if I flip my hand to matched nothing changes about the stick.....it stays exactly where it was

as was taught to me and reenforced by some of the best players to breathe our air

Exactly.

This was explained...and demonstrated by Steve Smith in his Drumset Techniques DVD. I'm not sure if there is a Youtube clip of it or not.

He shows both grips on the snare, and the angle between the two sticks never changes .

You never mentioned that your right hand was the one being pulled up. By the way you were arguing. most would assume you meant that the left hand had to be pulled down. But I see you meant.

I never mentioned it because it's not happening

my right hand is angled down because for the bead to touch the pad my wrist has to slightly drop.

if my wrist was completely straight the shoulder of the stick would contact the pad

bad photo angle

Plenty of great info in this thread already - thanks everybody for the discussion!
Please stay nice to each other. ;-)

I think people are getting a bit off topic than my original question. I do watch videos by wooton, he's a great percussionist. But he also prefer's to tilt the drum itself, which is fine, there are times where that seems more comfortable, but I keep a flat surface so that I don't have to switch the drums back and forth. I would very much appreciate it if people would just stick to the original question. I didn't come here to learn things I already know, I just wanted opinions. I will start another thread on something we can all debate about later. let's keep it simple for now.

I think the reason no one is sticking to the original question is because the original question is ridiculous

it's like asking .......what pedal is best for playing metal?

or.....what drum heads are best for blues music ?

when you ask a question like.....what sticks are best for traditional grip?....... people automatically assume that you are very inexperienced .....and rightfully so

come with a legit question and you will get a legit answer.

simple as that

but when you ask a silly question and then cop a holier than thou attitude .....like I already know all this stuff stick to the question...not a good look .... especially a question like that

ya dig ?

just trying to help you out

,.,.....and you claim you have these amazingly qualified instructors ....ask them which stick is best for trad grip ......you will get the same response you get here....

the answer is ....use the stick that feels best for you......your grip will not determine what stick you use ......your comfort and type of playing will

I think the reason no one is sticking to the original question is because the original question is ridiculous

it's like asking .......what pedal is best for playing metal?

or.....what drum heads are best for blues music ?

when you ask a question like.....what sticks are best for traditional grip?....... people automatically assume that you are very inexperienced .....and rightfully so

come with a legit question and you will get a legit answer.t
Anthony, I don't quite agree here. I'm perceiving the question as 'open' and not as being posted by an inexperienced person.

(Some general remarks)
Regardless of that, threads tend to get 'dynamic' as there might be brought forward aspects that don't exactly match the topic in the thread title. But that's ok overall, it simply happens. As for _this_ thread, I think it's safe to assume by now what is on topic and what isn't. So decide for yourself whether to stick to the topic or elaborate side aspects. But do so in a nice manner please.

Anthony, I don't quite agree here. I'm perceiving the question as 'open' and not as being posted by an inexperienced person.

(Some general remarks)
Regardless of that, threads tend to get 'dynamic' as there might be brought forward aspects that don't exactly match the topic in the thread title. But that's ok overall. As for _this_ thread, I think it's safe to assume by now what is on topic and what isn't. So decide for yourself whether to stick to the topic or elaborate side aspects. But do so in a nice manner please.

you think an experienced person would ask what stick is best for traditional grip?

ok.......

I'm telling you they would not

the question is ridiculous

I'm finished wearing kid gloves and trying to tip toe around stuff that is completely ridiculous ....
especially when the person asking cops an attitude when they get good responses

so let me ask you Arky....if that is an "open" question....

what stick is best for matched grip ?

what shoes are best for metal drumming?

what cymbal felts are best for a medium K con ?

Back