Recommend me your favorite online Drum lessons?

Adam Bourque

Looking for
One time payment/or Free
Video and printable sheet music to go with it (download music file or something)
Possible the person explaining how to count the rhythm (improve reading skills)

Thank you, I am taking drum lessons in person very soon... But online lessons help while I am not practicing my real drum lessons. PS: I am on a money budget :(

This free drum lesson continues on from the previous free double bass drum lesson entitled Learn How To Play Double Bass Drum - Double Bass Drum Beats & Grooves where I introduced you to the concept of playing double bass drum.

In this previous drum lesson we looked at all of the various subdivisions (or ways to split up each beat of the bar) that can be played with the double bass drum. This previous free double bass drum lesson also looked at the most popular double bass drum grooves as well as exercises that can be used to build your own double bass drum patterns.

In this free double bass drum lesson we will focus on sixteenth note double bass drum groove patterns as this is the most popular and common subdivisions played with the double bass drum.

This free drum lesson is not for the beginner and I highly recommend that you look at the first lesson here before trying the following drum beat exercises. This double bass drum lesson will be looking at syncopated and complicated sixteenth note double bass drum beats that although sound super cool are not for the faint hearted...this doesn't mean that you can't have a go for fun though!

Thanks, drumninja. Anybody else? appreciate it.

I heard from multiple members here that www.mikeslessons.com is great. You can buy each specific lesson for $1.99, or you can be a full unlimited member for $20 a month. He has live sessions weekely I believe, which is followed by online Q & A. There is also access to a student forum where you can ask questions. I am currently taking lessons, but I hear so many good things about this that I am seriously wanting to become a member.

Oh yes, this is the same Mike with the column articles in Modern Drummer mag.

Ditto on mike johnston, he doesn't provide sheet music but his teaching style is very easy to understand, and he's hilarious. His linear drumming is one of his specialties. His packages are affordable at 15 bucks and as mentioned you can get individual lessons for 2 bucks.

I also highly recommend www.drumlessons.com they provide sheet music and video. They are currently upgrading their lessons so the old archive ones can be found at http://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/

Also save some money and look into their drumming system package, for a little more than $100 you get so much, rock beats, metal, jazz, fills, rudiments etc. Plus downloadable sheet music and mp3's.

I've learned so much from both sources!

Good luck and rock on!

Last edited:
I've used Mike Johnston as well and have had a decent time with his style. I do feel that he can go a little too fast and sometimes, maybe not in-depth enough. However, that's the great thing about video lessons, you can rewind as many times as you want. All that being said, I watched him when I was first starting out, so I'm assuming it was just me that was confused. Anyhow, he's a very good drummer and has awesome quality videos and a very "approachable" personality.

Freedrumlessons is also another really good one. They've got so many free videos and sheet music on their site it's unreal. To me, if you can't afford lessons, this is the way to go. Very in-depth, very slow and it's FREE. Especially for the rudiments and beginner 4/4 beats. I also won a free dvd signed by Tim Waterson from them in one of their weekly giveaways.

Lastly, I watch DrummerEtc on youtube and he does some awesome beginner stuff. Very different than what you'll learn from the other guys and he does a great job of explaining it. Heck, he even does a history on what he's teaching sometime. He's free as well. Oh, and Spikeydrummer is good too for random lessons, but I think he stopped, went off to college or the military or something.

I agree that Mike Johnston is great! If you really want a unique experience however, wiith real feedback from the teacher, I suggest you try www.drumchannel.com. If you want to have lessons with a serious player through the internnet, wiith the opportunity to ask questions, obtain written materials and have feedback this is really the place to go. And by the way, the faculty there is Terry Bozzio, Peter Erskine, Ralph Humphrey, Joe Porcaro and others.

Check it out!!

Paul

I'm a paid up member of Mikeslessons.com and love the whole package, which is a community of drummers not unlike DW.

You do get a mp3 and a pdf of the music with each lesson so you have all the bits you need. The video (3 lessons per week) also go on archive so if you miss it you can catch up.

I have had 4 years of one-to-one lessons first and then after a few months break joined www.mikeslessons.com - this was perfect for me as I had all the basics down. I think if you were starting from scratch I would have at least a few lessons with a private tutor first.

But the mikeslessons package is phenomenal value at $20/month, when my individual lesson was costing me about $50 for an hour.

Peace
Davo

Last edited:
I'm a paid up member of Mikeslessons.com and love the whole package, which is a community of drummers not unlike DW.

You do get a mp3 and a pdf of the music with each lesson so you have all the bits you need. The video (3 lessons per week) also go on archive so if you miss it you can catch up.

I have had 4 years of one-to-one lessons first and then after a few months break joined www.mikeslessons.com - this was perfect for me as I had all the basics down. I think if you were starting from scratch I would have at least a few lessons with a private tutor first.

But the mikeslessons package is phenomenal value at $20/month, when my individual lesson was costing me about $50 for an hour.

Peace
Davo

My bad, Davo I realized that when I recently joined up too! Have you uploaded any vids yet on the youtube student page?

Lots of fantastic stuff on the Vic Firth website.

You can find advanced stuff at www.joecrabtree.com - Joe is fantastic, does lots of transcribing of very cool drummers. He really understands Vinnie Colauita's style, which is saying a lot!

Also, Drum 365 should be up soon. The site is run by Johnny Rabb and will have a new lesson every day!!!

http://drum365.com/

-sheldon

I am the webmaster of Britchops Drum Tuition website. This allows you to download a Course of beginner level drum lessons for a minimal cost @ www.britchops.co.uk

Check it out when you get the time.

Cheers

TJ

Back