Mike Johnston

Agreed. Stumbled across his you tube lessons not long ago and was thoroughly impressed with his teaching. Excellent drummer, great feel and expression, very enthusiastic and a really good ability to communicate his point. Love the way he always shows the end result that you should be aiming for as opposed to just saying 'learn to play paradiddles' without any explaination as to how they can be applied to the kit.
If I was a new drummer living nearby in Calif. I'd check him out for sure.

Agreed. Stumbled across his you tube lessons not long ago and was thoroughly impressed with his teaching. Excellent drummer, great feel and expression, very enthusiastic and a really good ability to communicate his point. Love the way he always shows the end result that you should be aiming for as opposed to just saying 'learn to play paradiddles' without any explaination as to how they can be applied to the kit.
If I was a new drummer living nearby in Calif. I'd check him out for sure.

any skill level drummer should check him out and you can take online lessons at mikeslessons.com.

yeah, very cool stuff, well explained by a talented yet humble and easy-going guy. he hangs out with some HEAVY DUTY gospel players like eric moore. monster chops and what a feel! i'm not particularly into hip hop style or gospel drumming per se but i can't imagine any drum student seeing those guys and NOT thinking... man, i wanna be able to do that!

He seems like an amazing teacher, with his skill level and seemingly great ability to explain everything that is needed to be as good as him. I wish I lived in California for that reason alone. I am hoping that his online lessons are as good as regular face to face lessons because I was thinking about signing up!!! Mike you are flat out savage around the kit and you kill it every time man!!!

The adolation continues. He is a very good teacher period. His on-line lessons are remarkable value and he is a really easy-going funny guy.

Worth checking out.

Davo

i subscribe to his youtube channel. he's always got something helpful to offer, especially if you like cool sounding licks based on rudiments.

he's got an extremely fast and precise right foot. he's one of those guys who doesn't even need a double pedal. his right foot is that fast! i adapt some of his licks to my double pedal because i'll never get my right foot up to the speeds he achieves!

Back