Favorite Drummer?

Great list Mad. Who's the female who isn't Sheila though? Just curious.

Anyway my favorites include: Agren, Coluita, Gadd, Rich, Mayer, Elise, Harrison, Weckl, Rabb, Carey, Seth Davis, Jimbo and Novak. Top 10s are impossible enough...
Lol. Autocorrect accounts for both edits.

Chad Smith- I love his style and he has influenced the way i play drums more than anyone else
Taylor Hawkins- I LOVE the Foo Fighters
Bonzo- cuz... hes Bonzo....

Definitely Lars Ulrich. There's nobody else like him. He's so awesome.
i'm sorry, but no list is complete without Lars Ulrich. Where's Lars, dude? WTF?

Sorry Bon, I don't judge and appreciate drummers based on their looks :)

Great list Mad. Who's the female who isn't Sheila though? Just curious.

Which one :) There's Cindy Blackman and Hilary Jones in the pic...

TOMAS LANG!!!

You keep mentioning TL in many threads Abe, I gonna believe he's your fav over Steve Gadd or Vinnie :)

Hard to pin point one... but here are a few:

Levon Helm (The Band)
Danny Carey (Tool)
Billy Martin (Medeski, Martin and Wood)
Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix)
Chad Smith (Chili Peppers)
Zigaboo Modeliste (The Meters/Funky Meters)
and of course... Bonham!

Oh snap!! How could I forget David Grohl?!?! I learned a sh*t ton from Grohl when I started playing drums 20 years ago! ...well, didnt learn personally from him... but listened to a lot of Nirvana.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot narrow down to one favorite. I'll give you ten and tell you why I love them and how they inspired me.

1. Keith Moon. The personification of rock and roll mayhem and a very musical slammer. His drumming was keyed into telling the story of the song. Suggested Listens: Who - Quadrophenia, Who - Tommy

2. Andy Newmark: Complete soul and taste. The span of his discography shows his reliability and versatility. Suggested Listens: Roxy Music - Avalon, John Lennon - Double Fantasy, Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh

3. John Bonham: His was the essence of thunder. Very articulate in his playing, his bass drum foot was magical. Suggested Listens: Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin III

4. Bill Bruford - Musical, graceful, intelligent in everything he plays. A true explorer. Suggested Listening: King Crimson - Red, Yes - Close To The Edge, anything with Earthworks or his work with Tony Levin.

5. Terry Bozzio - Turned drumming inside out and upside down. Suggested Listening: Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures, Missing Persons - Spring Session M, Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop

6. Buddy Rich - Um, he's Buddy Rich. Suggested Listens: Big Band Machine, Roar of '74, Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

7. Stewart Copeland - Total commitment to the music, song. On the top, push and pull of tempo and mood, simple flourishes, hi-hat work incredible. Suggested Listens: All Police records

8. Ian Paice - Ian's work still boggles my mind. Complex, busy yet completely grooving. Suggested Listens: Deep Purple - Machine Head, Deep Purple - Fireball

9. Tony Williams - A force of nature. Listen to his growth and versatile playing on his Miles Davis works, plus his experiments with Tony Williams' Lifetime

10. Jack DeJohnette -Jack will always surprise you. Listen to his works with Miles Davis and Keith Jarrett, then discover his vast solo efforts.

Peace,

MT

It has been changing about since I started playing.

When I started it was Brian Downey and Cozy Powell
Then somewhere along the line I gained and lost adoration for Buddy

Now I say my favorite is Chick Webb, I suppose that really says how my style has changed too.

1. Ian Paice. Why? - I listen to Deep Purple since I'm 2 weeks old. The first record I've ever been listening to was DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK. His work is absolutly awesome and blows my mind away everytime I listen to Purple...

2. John Bonham. Why? - I love his triplets, his loud and aggresive playing and his drum solos. He's truly a legend, not just because he played with Led Zeppelin.

3. John Fred Young. Why? - He plays in my favorite "new" band called Black Stone Cherry. I also love his aggresive hard hitting playing. He's fast but can groove as hell, he absolutly knows what he's doing! I met him two times and he's a very nice guy.

Me. I am the combination of all things I dig in drumming and what I like about any other given drummer. But it took a loooong time before I liked my own drumming at all, let alone be able to say I am my own favorite drummer.

In no specific order, but with Max Roach probably being my favourite one:

Max Roach
Bernard Purdie
Gene Krupa
Elvin Jones
Buddy Rich
Joe Morello
John Bonham
Mitch Mitchell
Terry Bozzio
Dennis Chambers
Tony Williams
Louie Bellson

Me. I am the combination of all things I dig in drumming and what I like about any other given drummer. But it took a loooong time before I liked my own drumming at all, let alone be able to say I am my own favorite drummer.

I like that. Good on you.

Ian Paice > Singles & Doubles.

John Bonham > Bass Drum Triplets & Right hand ride feel.

Mitch Mitchell > Swing & Feel.

Most of my favourite drummers have been named and re-named, but we don't see much of whom I would call Mr Tasteful... maybe because he sits so low, but you can tell it's him from the two li'l splashes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpqCK9FvnOo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unQhNbBc3-c
I sooo love this song... btw I had to dig deep in youtube to find a live version that did not feature Vinnie Colaiuta, I am not sure how he got in there as MK did the original on Ten summoners tales, not intending to criticize VC in any way though, just as delicious but slightly different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manu_Katché
After having heard him drum for about 20 years I finally got a look at him during the French Idols show. Not the easiest guy and he seemed to love to give his *Kaboum!* opinion usually straight against what the other jury members thought.

Last edited:
Three.. With all three rotating in the 1st place as i can't listen all three of them at the same time. Stewart Copeland and his "out of this world" Message In The Bottle (complete song..); Bonzo because of that song "No Quarter" and that feeling that the only reason why the world still exists is because Bonzo is still playing; Manu Katche in "Dreaming of a world" by Tracy Chapman - because it is just about how the vibrations should be in world that Tracy's dreaming about.. It's a must listen!!

Moon's the man; I like an 'anything can happen and it might fall apart at any moment but it'll still resolve itself by the end of the bar' kind of drummer. Outstanding technique and precision is impressive but drumming's an art - not a sport.

Stanton Moore, Steve Gadd, Bernard Purdie, ?uestlove, David Garibaldi, Stewart Copeland, Zigaboo Modeliste, Billy Martin, Adam Dietch, Carlton Barrett, Sly Dunbar, Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, Michael Shrieve, Mitch Mitchell, John Bonham, Kieth Moon, Neil Peart

Back