Tony Williams

Tony using Paiste in 1972

Stan Getz's 1972 performance in Montreux, Tony on drums, was just released on DVD officially in Japan. Of course both video and sound are perfect, you can see and hear every detail.
And while watching it, I found that Tony was using Paiste cymbals, not Zildjian. I was surprised because I've never seen him playing cymbals other than Zildjian. Isn't it quite rare?

I just saw this ... I was only ever a mild Tony fan and didn't understand the hero worship but ... wow ... unbelievable authority at speed and throwing out so many ideas ... now I geddit.

Funny to see those guys come on in suits like a swing band and then throw that wild stuff at the audience. They sure weren't wearing suits on the inside :)

Yeah, that clinic is great. It's been on YouTube before and gets taken down quickly, so it may not be there much longer.

I cannot recommend strongly enough the new Miles Davis Live In Europe 1967 set. The DVD is a revelation for those (like me) who have heard the records but never got to witness this band. The band is in terrific form and it's a priceless artifact for fans of any of the musicians. For me, as a Tony freak, getting to actually see how he attacks the ride cymbal and physically moves on the kit playing this stuff is just amazing.

Music never got any better than this.

Two things:

First I just found this great extended footage of Tony playing with Stan Getz. I have seen the clip of him soloing from this concert many times (on Drummerworld!), but I have never seen the whole concert which also features Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke. Here are the clips.

http://youtu.be/xwNCvPPhUKQ

http://youtu.be/vLXjj2vHvtc

Great music, terrifying colors.

Second I just put a new blog post up about Tony's innovative drumming. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2011/10/tony-williams-developing-your-own-voice.html

Beyond his work with Miles, Tony's musical vision as a composer was unique and inspiring, as well.

Check out his writing with his Lifetime band. Poetic, caustic, challenging and wonderful.

He also worked on PIL's Album. Extraordinary.

MT

One of my favorites. http://youtu.be/PsPzbvJKd5E

Tony's approach changed so quickly, but his work in 1963 and 1964 stands as the very pinnacle for me. Which is insane, considering he was like 17 or 18 during those recordings. He would become much more aggressive with the four-on-the-floor hi-hats and hitting a lot harder even just a couple years later. But around the time of this recording, he still had one foot very much in the earlier tradition and this made for a really exciting dynamic for me. If I could have the ability to play like one drummer, it would have been circa-1964 Tony.

So, I've noticed that Gretsch doesn't list Tony on the Gretsch Masters page of historic artists.

Does anyone know if there's a back-story behind this? I can't believe there'd be such a huge oversight and I wonder if there was some bad blood when Tony switched to DW right before he died?

Regardless, Gretsch needs to put Tony Williams the f*** on this page.

So, I've noticed that Gretsch doesn't list Tony on the Gretsch Masters page of historic artists.

Does anyone know if there's a back-story behind this? I can't believe there'd be such a huge oversight and I wonder if there was some bad blood when Tony switched to DW right before he died?

Regardless, Gretsch needs to put Tony Williams the f*** on this page.

I hope it's just an oversight. I just looked on their site and emailed them the same question (maybe a little more diplomatically than your last sentence :) ) but with the same sense of bewilderment.

After asking them why, I commented that when I think of Gretsch, I think of Tony's big, canary yellow set. Sincerely,...

If they email back with an excuse about Tony switching to DW, I'll suggest the following:

As far as "brand loyalty", Elvin played Tama and Yamaha, Max played Ludwig, Louis played Slingerland and Remo, Philly Joe played Premier, Art Blakey played Pearl & Premier and on and on. In fact I've a heard a quote (2nd hand) where Art said, "I'll play anything!"

-John

I hope it's just an oversight. I just looked on their site and emailed them the same question (maybe a little more diplomatically than your last sentence :) ) but with the same sense of bewilderment.

After asking them why, I commented that when I think of Gretsch, I think of Tony's big, canary yellow set. Sincerely,...

If they email back with an excuse about Tony switching to DW, I'll suggest the following:

As far as "brand loyalty", Elvin played Tama and Yamaha, Max played Ludwig, Louis played Slingerland and Remo, Philly Joe played Premier, Art Blakey played Pearl & Premier and on and on. In fact I've a heard a quote (2nd hand) where Art said, "I'll play anything!"

-John

Heh, we're definitely on the same page on this :)

Yeah, I thought about how all those other jazz greats changed brands a long time ago. If anything, Tony probably stuck with Gretsch the longest. And I'd argue that his canary yellow set is the most iconic one they ever built.

I hope it's an oversight, too.

Heh, we're definitely on the same page on this :)

Yeah, I thought about how all those other jazz greats changed brands a long time ago. If anything, Tony probably stuck with Gretsch the longest. And I'd argue that his canary yellow set is the most iconic one they ever built.

I hope it's an oversight, too.

There's always a reason, it seems....

Here is their response this morning:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi John,
GREAT point!! I am going to look into it! I feel the same way you do!
Regards,
Gretsch Drums

And 45 minutes later:

Hi John,
This is from the Gretsch product manager..

“We did have Tony Williams listed on our website as a Gretsch great (which he
undoubtedly is), but were asked to remove his reference by the Tony Williams
estate. We respectfully – though regrettably – cooperated.”

Regards,
Gretsch Drums

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-John

Ah, okay. Well thanks for taking the time and trouble to sort that mystery out!

Tony Williams - where to start?

I am currently listening to the work of Hamd Drake, Elvin Jones, Max Roach and Tony Allen.

I also want to study the work of Tony Williams - can anyone recommend a starting point - e.g. best album?

Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

I think the VSOP Quintet recordings are great. The earier stuff with Miles is awesome, but fairly abstract in terms of following the tunes AABA style... But I suppose if you are already listening to Hamid Drake, it might seem fairly straight. The VSOP recordings are just great examples of Tony's bag of "tricks". There are a couple of Miles recordings between the "Plugged Nickel" recordings and VSOP, but I can't remember them right now. Google could help me, but I'm trying to drink coffee.

I am currently listening to the work of Hamd Drake, Elvin Jones, Max Roach and Tony Allen.

I also want to study the work of Tony Williams - can anyone recommend a starting point - e.g. best album?

Thats hell of a selection of drummers. Im really impressed by the fact that you mention Hamid Drake first. Good on you! Tony has a big catalogue, and I suggest you listen to all of it : ) Starting point, Sister Cheryl....

If you're up for a challenge, listen to 'Nefertiti' by Miles Davis. The ride work on that album is just fantastic and there's a beautiful contrast on the album from quite sparse to very dense playing. If I wanted to highlight Tony Williams on just one album, I would pick 'Nefertiti'. 'Riot' from that album is an absolute lesson on taste and ride interplay and 'Hand Jive' is a great example on varying cymbal tones for musical emphasis.

Incidentally, take Garvin on his word. There's a guy that really knows his stuff. I am merely a pretender!

If you don't have a Spotify account already get yourself an 'Unlimited' account. It's £5 a month and it is absolutely worth it.

I would strongly urge you to check out the Miles Davis The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four & More. This recording changed my life as a drummer.

51RwRKe53CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back