My new DW prototype Oak stave shell kit

hefu

Recivied it today, and I must say it sounds amazing! Huge sounding, with incredible punch!
According to "my guy" at DW, they made ONE kit like this!
Very cool scooped out shells, reinforcement rings are not added, they are part of the shell!

And it looks like this:

bild.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

That is very nice! I'm not a fan of natural finishes, but the oak colour gives it a nice warm hue :)

But how do they sound?!?

The sound is incredibly huge!
It sound much bigger than it is, the 14" sounds like an ordinary 18"!

I found these at the DW showroom after NAMM 2010, and my pal at DW what happened to them. They were sitting on a shelf in their R&D department, and they were willing to sell them to me.
And, they made me a great deal!

I saw a video on these shells and it was quite interesting. Nice looking drum. I do like the oak finish.

You saw it here first! DW INVENTED THE STAVE SHELL! :)

Seriously...those are beautiful. Would love to hear and see them, if you find time to post some audio and/or video.

Thanks!

These are stave, but you cant really see much of the joints, the shells are flawless!
I'll try to record them when I have the time... whenever that will be.

Really? :)

Seriously, nice looking kit there. Congratulations on snagging what I'm sure will be a collectors item in years to come.

Not sure why they'd use a rering style form, unless the shells are less than 3/8" (9.5mm) thick. Below that, a rering makes sense, but a rering made of the same stave construction offers much less strength benefit compared to a steambent ring. It is easier to make though. Would be good to know the shell thicknesses.

Again, congratulations on your lovely looking kit.

Seriously...those are beautiful. Would love to hear and see them, if you find time to post some audio and/or video.

HA! Yes, being late to the party means everyone notices you more. I'll bet inventing stave shells in 2011 was a marketing ploy.

These appear to be nice shells. How thick are they? How doe they sound?

Given that a typical DW ply set costs much more than a boutique stave set, I'd bet a DW stave set costs as much as a space shuttle.

Wow!
Doesn't get more special than a 1-off kit. Congrats!

I'll measure the shells as soon as I can.
I used the kick at a small gig last night, and it was a little to "big"-sounding! Huge, enormous sound, incredible punch!
I have a VLX 22x17 DW aswell, and I must say, the oak kick packs more punch!

Back