TOM TUNING

Re: Reso tuning

Tuning is a matter of opinion. Sometimes music calls for higher pitched toms, in Heavy Metal and Funk usually a lower tom. It's just preference. Although, 2-1/2 sounds like a lot......But if sounds good, I'm all for it!

hi all...(sorry for my english)

I recently went to a Jack deJohnette Quartet concert and Jack played a Sonor Delite set ( if I' am right you own a Sonor Delite... ) and his toms were tuned VERY high and still sounded amazingly good.... if that is of any help to you

I cant see how its possible to get that great sound we talk of by tuning toms REALLY high. I have Evans EC2's on the batter and Pinstripes on resonant I do tune them quite higher than I used to around 1 and a quarter full turns on each lug, same for resonant but anything past that I get a horrid pingy sound yea prob know what I mean. I was thinking maybe its to do with clear heads, can ye only tune them that high and get great results with only coated heads? Tom sizes 12" rack tom and 14" floor. I tune both the heads on the snare high around 5 full turns on each lug but the snare tuning we know is completely different. Cheers........so a bit of help here? ha ha

Everything depens on which sound you want to get. If you want to get low sound, you will need to tune the reso head a bit more than the batter head. If you tune the batter higher than reso, you will have a more punchy sound. What i suggest, tune the batter head and the reso head the same (Example, 1 turn on both heads) get the sound you like. After adjust the reso head like you want, try to tune it more or less and see what kind of sound you get and what fits you best. Also, the size on the shell will matter in sound, deeper shell will normally sound lower

tuning toms

i know how to tune toms, but i never can decide whitch pitches to tune them to (i mean BOTH sides) can anyone help me out?

Re: tuning toms

I do the warm sound, i just keep the reso low pitch, and the batter about a pitch higher than the resonant

what i like to do is tune the reso side a fair bit higher than the batter side. this way the sound bounces off the reso head a bit harder. personally this is the only way i will tune my toms.

i think bonham did this too, if i remember right. i think i saw it on a drummerworld video actualy.

my drum teacher showed me this a long time ago

i also tune my toms with the reso side extremely high, and the batter side a hair less high than the reso. It really opens up the sound. If you barely tap the drums, they all sound high pitched, but when you hit them you get a VERY loud, open, warm tone...for some reason it makes me feel like i'm really getting the sound that should be coming out of the drum when i tune them this way... It's the best way i've found so far to tune the toms. (that sounds good to me)

It really depends on the tone you want. If you want lots of action, the reso head would be higher because of quicker responce. If you want more projection and a larger sound, you would tune the reso lower. I usually have my lower head a 1/2 step lower than the upper side. Also, I only have 3 toms, do I tune them a 5th apart to get a larger range. It's really a matter of taste.

the reso is the lower ( the one you don't hit) and the batter is the opposite( the upper one)

THE TOM TUNING THREAD

hey guys, i was wondering how to get that nice "doo" sound out of the toms, or do i just have to experiment tuning. thanks

Re: Tom Tuning

PearlZildjian757 said:
hey guys, i was wondering how to get that nice "doo" sound out of the toms, or do i just have to experiment tuning. thanks

Guess you have to loosen the Batter quite loosely, put e-ring on the toms, paste Tapes on it to get that doo.oo kinda sound. It's ok actually for now till you change New & Better Heads and by then you might not want the doo.oo kinda sound anymore

Your Batter is Pearl Protone ... what about your Resonant ... is it also Protone (a batter or a resonant)?.

Re: Tom Tuning

RudimentalDrummer said:
is it also Protone (a batter or a resonant)?.

The protone is a crappy stock pearl batter head. (UGH) rather than a "Doo" from his toms with that head, he'll just get doo-doo.

Invest in some Aquarians or other quality heads. The protones gotta go.

Back